Dogs all over the world that fought for a cause

Iamanidiot

You are mixing official and not official dogs..

Official which are trained for Hunting and searching also Bomb disposal units by Army at Army expense..

Not Official are those who are desi but domesticated by Individual Units, the training is not very deep Most part they figure out By themselves, In every check point or post may be 5-10 dogs are present and the food for them comes from Army Langar which gives same for soldiers, But if Unit moves they are left behind which is Very Sad, Their is no guarantee the other unit taking over will kill them or keep them, Its hard for the Men too..
Kunal Babu the army must atleast use the native indigenous Bhutia's or gaddis atleast for gurading the homestead and check post and use another for bomb disposal ,etc.How good do these desi breeds help the Jawans.Please post some pics of these dogs if possible.

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
They are bred for guarding and take good decisions independent of its master another breed very good for guarding is Combai
They are fierce,true. But I find it hard to imagine them being used for bomb disposal and such. Guarding the posts might be more suited fir them.

P.S. My family did own a couple of Bhutiyas.

Iamanidiot

They are fierce,true. But I find it hard to imagine them being used for bomb disposal and such. Guarding the posts might be more suited fir them.

P.S. My family did own a couple of Bhutiyas.
Good for you post some pics of them how tall do they grow 30-32 inches.Gifted my fiance one and her family seems to be happy about the dog

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
Good for you post some pics of them how tall do they grow 30-32 inches.Gifted my fiance one and her family seems to be happy about the dog
By my family I meant the ones still in my Dad's native town(Kotdwar, Uttarakhand). Don't have any pictures right now will try to get some the next time I visit.

Edit:

There are Bhutiyas in AP too?
I thought it was a mountain breed.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
How good do these desi breeds help the Jawans.Please post some pics of these dogs if possible.
In Simple words, Solider `s respect them and love them..

I had a personal collection, But not now, Will post when i find them..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
How good are they at guarding?
Usually over mountains, Anything moves in 1000m - 500m in windy condition they pick up the sound and alerts the Guards..

Not only tangos but also Leopards, Their was case when three Dogs Bhutia killed a leopard in a Army cantt..

Iamanidiot

Usually over mountains, Anything moves in 1000m - 500m in windy condition they pick up the sound and alerts the Guards..

Not only tangos but also Leopards, Their was case when three Dogs Bhutia killed a leopard in a Army cantt..
So they keep them at Canttonments:D thats great to hear never saw a Gaddi .What about the elusive Himalayan Mastiffs?The Bhutia looks like a spitz

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
So they keep them at Canttonments:D thats great to hear never saw a Gaddi .What about the elusive Himalayan Mastiffs?The Bhutia looks like a spitz
I never said that, But Not Only..

Real Bhutia is no different for a Genuine German Shepherd, Huge K9 with huge skull and big paws..

Different units in different locations keep different dogs as they found in that environment....

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Story of a dog who served Indian Army till death

The Dog's name was Rex.

Rex was a recipient of GOC-in-C Commendation Card for his outstanding & exemplary performance against militants.The 9A 92 Rex, a golden Labrador was born on 25 February 1993 at RVC Centre & School Meerut. After a year's training, he was posted to 14 Army Dog Unit under Delta Force and assigned the areas adjoining the town of Bhaderwah, to help troops in trailing & tracking militants.

In March 1995, operating with troops of 25 RR in jungles of Badrot, South of Bhaderwah, he tracked a militant injured in an encounter for over 3 km in the thick of militant fire. In a chase that lasted for over four hours, he managed to recover one AK 56 rifles and an haversack containing 92 rounds.

In April 1998, out on a patrol in area Gulgandhar, security forces killed two dreaded militants and badly injured one, who managed to escape. Picking up the scent of his blood, 'Rex' went hot on the trail and moved speedily & stealthily over strenuous undulating mountains. After tracking over 2 km, he succeeded in tracing out the body of the militant in a hideout where he had succumbed to his injuries. Let out on yet another 'trial' with the QRT of CO 25 RR in Daraba near Rajouri, Rex suffered an unfortunate fall and sustained serious intestinal injuries.

He was evacuated to the nearest Army Veterinary Hospital where he developed acute gastroentrities and finally succumbed on 22 September 1999.

Rest In Peace to a Solider !

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles