Dodgy development:of UK in India/We don't Want your Aid

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Meh,

True.

It was a great show by the chaps of DFI out there to zip them up!

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Good to see such support.

Thanks Meh (who is he?), GK, Nagraj and others.

They sure have piped down a lot!

The thread is hidden from me in the straight forward log in.
I think Meh is Messiah?

pmaitra

Bangalorean and P Maitra,,

Thanks for the backup at

India asks for aid to be stopped and DfID refuses? - Page 8

I was getting a wee bit tired taking them on singlehandedly and not being able to use the modern type of syntax to put them in your place..

A good job done.

Hoping that you will be there since I am not going to quit telling them where to get off with their condescensions and patronising!
Thanks Ray Sir.

For others to see, this was my last comment:

pmaitra

A simple question to those who are upset about UK gving aid to India:

This thread was started on 05-02-2012, after the French fighters were shortlisted by India.

For those who are so concerned about the poor and starving in India and suggesting that India might as well spend money on the poor instead on fighter jets, why did they not demonstrate against BAe when they first joined the race for the Indian fighter jet procurement bid? Given that some Britons are so concerned about the poor and needy in India, they should have taken the moral high ground then and said they would stay away from selling military hardware to India until India lifts all its below-poverty-level (BPL) population above the BPL line.

Apparently, many in Britain are upset that France won the initial bid, although the contract has not been finalised yet.

Take heart, dear Britons; India has imported a lot of military hardware from Britain since 1947.

Now to come to the question why India continues to spend so much on defense when it has so many poor?

India's history, since the last 5000 years is riddled with invasions. We had the Aryan Invasion, the Greek Invasion, the Persian Invasion, the Mughal Empire and then the British Empire. I could go on about the numerous invasions, both overt and covert, launched by Britain's (once) favourite poodle called Pakistan. If we do not keep spending on defense, we will end up being part of the Han Chinese Empire. Look at Tibet, for God sake! Ideally, we should not have to spend anything on defense at all and we should be able to concentrate on poverty; but we do not live in an ideal world.

Therefore, gentlemen, relax and exercise your rights, as citizens of UK, and vote out those people who keep doling out British taxpayers' monies to India, especially, when (1) India does not want them anymore, and (2) Britain itself is struggling economically.

As an Indian, I am fed up of all these patronising comments from some Britons, and while I am thankful to those Britons who genuinely want to help the Indian poor, I must say end this aid programme and be done with it.

Link: India asks for aid to be stopped and DfID refuses? - Page 11
There was also one comment I liked very much:

Nagraj

can someone answer me ???

I still don't understand what are you guys so upset about.
1. that we spent 10 billion dollars on fighter jets.
OR
2. we bought jets from France??

Link: India buys Rafale - Page 8
And a note of appreciation from a fine British gentleman:

Bushmills

Gentlemen

This debate is getting unpleasant.

It's pretty obvious that without skilled and professional people from India then Health and IT of most western nations would cease to function.It is also evident that in the main, Indians add to the life of any country in which they settle.

In addition, it's pretty obvious that these Indian blokes are going to be as patriotic about their country as we are about ours.

I am impressed that the Indian contingent have conducted themselves, thus far, as gentlemen, but I suggest that this is the time to put this debate to bed and agree to disagree.

Link: India asks for aid to be stopped and DfID refuses? - Page 12
Thanks to Ray Sir, Bangalorean, Meh, GK, Nagraj and anyone that I might have missed, for the enthusiastic support!

Armand2REP, I think you should also jump into that forum!

Cheers to all!

pmaitra

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
Thanks Ray Sir.

For others to see, this was my last comment:

There was also one comment I liked very much:

And a note of appreciation from a fine British gentleman:

Thanks to Ray Sir, Bangalorean, Meh, GK, Nagraj and anyone that I might have missed, for the enthusiastic support!

Armand2REP, I think you should also jump into that forum!

Cheers to all!
I was happy to see the last comment from an impartial Brit gentleman:

Bushmills

Gentlemen

This debate is getting unpleasant.

It's pretty obvious that without skilled and professional people from India then Health and IT of most western nations would cease to function.It is also evident that in the main, Indians add to the life of any country in which they settle.

In addition, it's pretty obvious that these Indian blokes are going to be as patriotic about their country as we are about ours.

I am impressed that the Indian contingent have conducted themselves, thus far, as gentlemen, but I suggest that this is the time to put this debate to bed and agree to disagree.

Link: India asks for aid to be stopped and DfID refuses? - Page 12
So at the end of the day, decency and good sense prevails. I hope it remains so going forward. Personally I have never had anything against the Brits - I don't believe in carrying grudges from colonial times. All I hope is that their patronizing and condescending attitude reduces in this decade...

ejazr

Ambassador
All this hullabaloo even after the fact that Britain has been the second biggest arms exporter to India after Russia if we look at the 1950-2010 period.

tsk tsk

pmaitra

Yet another hilarious comment from Telegraph (UK):

roosterrack
02/04/2012 10:09 PM

So the story goes like this-

We give India aid but and in return we expect them to buy our extremely expensive aeroplanes.

India realises that the planes are too expensive and buy a cheaper one.

We get all uppity, talk to the Indians like they are bloody idiots and assume they are going to change their minds once we have lent on them a bit.

They tell us to stuff our aid, its measly anyway.

The next part of this wonderful story is the Indians think the Typhoon is a really good aeroplane and they would like to buy it for the same price as the French one.

We agree but keep the price secret and alls well that ends well.

It's called a win win.

You really could'nt make it up could you!!

Link: India tells Britain: We don't want your aid - Telegraph

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Soon they are going to become "The Brown Man's Burden" if not already.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Ok Ok, I got one... India counters by offering England 100m quid to rehabilitate Chavs so they don't suffer economic damage during the next riots.

pmaitra

Very creative, indeed!

Thistleblister
02/04/2012 11:59 PM

That's very kind of you Mr Pranab Mukherjee, to recognise we are struggling in the U.K. would you like our Prime Ministers job ? as he, and his towel folding Chancellor, seem to think the most effective way of reducing a deficit, is to borrow more, then give it away, notably to countries such as yours, that appear to be doing somewhat better than ourselves.

This of course makes no sense to us as all, so please can you tell the clown that sits at the head of our Government (I must add that I use the word government lightly here) that although you do apreciate the gesture, you do not think it appropriate that you take money from such an impoverished nation as ours, at this time.We would be so grateful to you, and wish you and your people well.

Best regards.

The occupants of the zoo, formerly known as Britain, firmly under the cosh of the E.U.commissars, with the help of our traitorous Parliament.

pmaitra

The crux of the matter, again, from Telegraph (UK):

SocTrap
02/05/2012 12:46 AM

You haven't understood the mechanics. It is not aid to India. It is money laundering (as stated in the article). UK Government channels money through India to UK companies (who supply GPS systems, Televisions etc) - all probably payback for party donations.

That is why India doesn't want it (to be a party in the laundering) and the UK government is insisting on using India as the cover.

p2prada

A lot of the British aid is going back to Britain anyway, in the form of payments to British employees and British companies. They only leave behind the Television sets.

pankaj nema

Country flag
UK has only a few industries left Financial services ie in simple words earning money on interest
is a major part of the UK economy

UK ; when it gives aid to any Indian organisation knows that Money will be returned with interest on time
something which prompts them to give the loan in the first place

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles