Do we deserve Jana Gana Mana as our National Anthem???

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Bhushan, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Opened again!

House is not closing.

2. S.A.T.A

S.A.T.A Senior Member Senior Member

A national anthem,in lieu of the purpose it intends to serve,must be unambiguous in its patriotic content,there must be no room for any possibility of it coming under potential besmirchment over its actual or implied intent.I certainly have no means to verify whether Sri Tagore indeed confessed to Yeats over the purported request by congress officials to write a verse welcoming the English monarch,now if it were indeed true that The poet laureate was disturbed over this request and his poem "Jana Gana Mana" was indeed meant to be a Pseudo-Eulogy of the occasion and was born,as alleged,from the deep anguish he felt over the assignment,thus the circumstances that conceived the poem itelf was inauspicious enough to raise protests over its selection for the national anthem.

It must be noted that 'Vande Mataram' itself came to disqualified for the status of national anthem,over questions that it had an alleged bias towards a particular community,thus Jana Gana Mana also cannot avoid doubts and reasonable criticisms.That much can be conceded.

P.S:Abir,the misspelling was a typo and not deliberate,apology for the same.

3. Ray

I wonder if anyone 'confessed'!!!

Any idea of a better national anthem?

Vande Mataram offends Muslims.

Sara Jahan se Achha offends the people as it was written by a person who championed Pakistan.

Since, all explanations have been rejected,

Maybe Rehman's Jai Ho?

It's got a catchy tune, if nothing else!!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  4. S.A.T.A

S.A.T.A Senior Member Senior Member

since we as a nation have ingrained the attitude of looking over our shoulders over every aspect of nation building,we probably should have gone about the task of finding a national anthem,like what we did in our search for the 'national language',why settle for one,all patriotic songs that were ever composed should be declared official anthems,each community in India can then pick and choose the anthem that is amiable to their disposition........quite novel i must say,but then we Indians are such connoisseurs of everything novel.

5. Ray

And which one will be played/ sung for official occasion?

If each community is to select a song, then it will be a total confusion just like the issue of Telengana, where the people are same, but the aspirations are different.

Hindi was not unanimous choice as the 'Official Language'.

Many felt (in the South and in the East, that it was imposed).

6. civfanatic

civfanatic Retired Moderator

I like the Subhash Chandra Bose version of "Jana Gana Mana". It removes references to any emperors or kings or whatever and has a better tune to boot.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  7. Ray

What is Netaji's Jana Gana Mana?

8. civfanatic

Instrumental Version:

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  9. Ray

Could you give the historical link to Bose's national anthem?

The song you have appended states it is from a film BOSE.

10. civfanatic

I was referring to that song only, I don't know if it is historically accurate or not.

It was Bose who first made Jana Gana Mana the national anthem, by playing it at the Indo-German Association on 11 Sept, 1942. However, since there were no notations available, several versions of the song were made by Dr. Ambik Majumdar and Dr. Mukherjee. The orchestra conductor was a German whose name slips my mind at the moment.

11. Ray

Thanks for the information.

12. sehwag1830

sehwag1830 Tihar Jail Banned

India's National anthem

I read today that Sardar Patel and many others wanted " Vande Mataram " as our national anthem. Jana Gana Mana was composed to welcome a British King to India, so many opposed that.

But Nehru because of his "secularism " policy didn't want to offend the minorities so he opposed " Vande Mataram " as our national anthem and we got Jana Gana Mana.

Is this true ?

13. Mad Indian

Mad Indian Proud Bigot Veteran Member Senior Member

Re: India's National anthem

Even I heard something about the Jana Gana being a song to welcome the British King into India. Dont know how far of it is true. But I dont think Minority appeasement was there in the Nehru era.

14. sehwag1830

Read about India's history. Nehru opposed construction of Somnath temple . Nehru was the father of pseudo-secularism.

balai_c likes this.
  15. Mad Indian

Mad Indian Proud Bigot Veteran Member Senior Member

Will do, but i thought Pseudo secularism at the time of partition would have been a bad idea as it would have angered the Hindus further. Anyway, Dont know about others, but Vande Mataram looks lame when compared to Jana Gana Mana, probabaly thats something to do with the indoctrination with Jana Gana Mana

16. Ray

In those days most were Brown Sahibs to include Jinnah who drank and enjoyed his ham, bacon and sausage!

I am sure Nehru would have loved his bully beef and yorkshire pudding too!

17. sehwag1830

Vande Mataram was the song every freedom fighter sung. Have you heard any one singing Jana Gana Mana as patriotic chant.

And as for Hindus getting angered , do you really believe these enuchs ( including me) ever had any unity ?

balai_c and Mad Indian like this.
  18. Ray

Vande Mataram (Bengali script: বন্দে মাতরম্-; Hindi/Sanskrit: वन्दे मातरम्; Vande Mātaram "I bow to thee, Mother") is a poem from the famed novel Anandamath which was written by Bankim Chandra Chattopadhyay in 1882. It was written in Bengali and Sanskrit. It is a hymn to Goddess Durga, identified as the national personification of India. It played a vital role in the Indian independence movement, first sung in a political context by Rabindranath Tagore at the 1896 session of the Indian National Congress.

In 1950 (after India's independence), the song's first two verses were given the official status of the "national song" of the Republic of India, distinct from the national anthem of India Jana Gana Mana.

Bankim Chandra Chatterjee was one of the earliest graduates of the newly-established Calcutta University. After his BA, he joined the British Indian government as a civil servant, becoming a District Magistrate and later a District Collector. Chatterjee was very interested in recent events in Indian and Bengali history, particularly the Revolt of 1857 and the previous century's Sannyasi Rebellion. Around the same time, the administration was trying to promote God Save the Queen as the anthem for Indian subjects, which Indian nationalists disliked. It is generally believed that the concept of Vande Mataram came to Bankim Chandra Chatterjee when he was still a government official, around 1876.

Chatterjee wrote the poem in a spontaneous session using words from Sanskrit and Bengali. The poem was published in Chatterjee's book Anandamatha (pronounced Anondomôţh in Bengali) in 1882, which is set in the events of the Sannyasi Rebellion. Jadunath Bhattacharya was asked to set a tune for this poem just after it was written.

Wiki

19. ejazr

ejazr Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

Yes there are some conspiracy theories around that, just like we hear about Indira Gandhi's husband being a muslim when he was infact a Parsi. Its nothing more than conspiracy theories ofcourse.

The important point to note is that Jana Gana Mana as the national anthem is just one stanza of the five stanza poem that Rabindranath Tagore wrote. And he uses the female Maa to describe the provider of India's desitny. So unless King George V was a female, there is no way it could refer to him. This is in addition to Tagore making it quite clear what the poem was about.

Was Jana Gana Mana in praise of George V? - Times Of India
    Some more on “Jana Gana Mana” - vijitvivek's blog

Razor and Mad Indian like this.
  20. amoy

amoy Senior Member Senior Member

Jana Gana Mana sounds beautiful, at least to my ears. I saw a version by a group of folk singers of various origins. And the fact that its lyrics author is R. Tagore, whose poem was also adopted for Bangladeshi national anthem, elevates its world standing. It also mentions places such as Sindh which's no longer part of India after particion.