Diwali bonanza: Surat boss gifts cars, flats and jewellery as bonus

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Diwali bonanza: Surat boss gifts cars, flats and jewellery as bonus to his employees

SURAT: The liquidity crisis may have dampened the spirits of Indian diamond industry this year. But it is going to be a glittering festival of lights for nearly 1,200 employees of Harikrishna Exports, the Rs 6,000-crore diamond firm of Surat.

The company's chairman Savji Dholakia surprised his artisans and engineers by asking them to choose from cars, flats and jewellery, as their performance incentive.

The employees, who qualified in what the company calls 'loyalty programme' were given three options, car, flat or jewellery. Around 500 employees opted for brand new Fiat Punto cars, 570 for jewellery and around 207 chose a flat.

"All my dreams have come true only through my workers. A target was set for the artisans and engineers and they have achieved it. This is a big day for the entire Harikrishna family. We are the first company in the world to offer performance incentive valued at around Rs 3.60 lakh to each of the 1,200 diamond workers," said Dholakia.

According to Dholakia, this year, the company has paid a total of Rs 50 crore worth of incentive to the workers.

The company had started the 'loyalty programme' in 2011. In the first year, three artisans were gifted cars. Last year, around 72 artisans were given cars for achieving their annual targets.

Jignesh Makwana, 39, a diamond artisan in the company said, "I received a car as gift last year. So, this year when I qualified in the incentive scheme, I opted for a flat. I will pay Rs 3.60 lakh as down payment in the housing scheme of the company to own a 3BHK flat."

Another employee, Mehul Asalaliya, an engineer said, "I opted for jewellery as I have a car and a house. This Diwali, I will gift the jewellery to my beloved wife."

Savji Kaka, as he is fondly known in the diamond circles, is a native of Dudhala village in Amreli district. He came to Surat in the late 70s in search of a job. Without a single penny in his pocket, he went to his uncle and borrowed money to start off the diamond business on a small level. After years of struggle, he established Harikrishna Exports in 1992.

In just two decades, the company has achieved a turnover of Rs 6,000 crore per annum with the total strength of the workers and employees rising to over 9,000 including Surat, Mumbai and abroad.

"The average monthly earning of each of my artisan and engineer is Rs 1 lakh. There is one diamond artisan, who earns Rs 3.49 lakh per month. Artisans are the backbone of our industry and we have set an example by giving them highest wages in the industry," says Dholakia.

Article on TOI website.

I have posted this article not to show-off indian economy and generosity, but to remind ourselves the times when employees used to get bicycles and transistor radios just 20 years back as Diwali gifts.Guess India seems to be moving the forward and right direction.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Re: Diwali bonanza: Surat boss gifts cars, flats and jewellery as bonu

You did not need a passport or an airline ticket for a colorful passage to India on Saturday.

Thousands came together at the Koka Booth Amphitheatre to mark Diwali and share in a cultural experience that celebrated much more than the Hindu festival of lights.

The Cary Diwali festival provided a chance for families to pass along traditions such as dance to younger generations and to share customs with Cary residents and visitors experiencing the holiday for the first time.

There was a confetti of entertainment.

Diwali, for many, symbolizes new beginnings. Observers often mark the occasion by lighting lamps, candles and fireworks to show "victory over evil" or "light over darkness" or "knowledge over ignorance."

This year's festival focused on volunteerism, especially among the young. The theme was Aapo Deepo Bhava, meaning "Be a light unto yourself."
CARY: Diwali festival in Cary dazzles | Wake County | NewsObserver.com

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag

On a lighter note:
i used to hear some weird stories about surti(people from surat) one of them goes as follows- Surtis have a habit of going on long family holidays to U.S and europe every year. once they come back and if they happen to like the hotel suite they were staying in, they would send a interior designer on a week long all expense paid trip to the same hotel and if possible to the very same suite so that they can copy the same interior design for their homes especially their bed rooms. :rofl::rofl:

Ashutosh Lokhande

On a lighter note:
i used to hear some weird stories about surti(people from surat) one of them goes as follows- Surtis have a habit of going on long family holidays to U.S and europe every year. once they come back and if they happen to like the hotel suite they were staying in, they would send a interior designer on a week long all expense paid trip to the same hotel and if possible to the very same suite so that they can copy the same interior design for their homes especially their bed rooms. :rofl::rofl:
you sure they were from surat and not china? lol :lol:

Blackwater

One arrow 2 shots. Employee r happy and he gets tax rebate by showing liability

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag

One more example of Corporate Social responsibility is GMR group, i think they are worth 3.5 billion USD now. If you happen to be in the interiors areas of the vijayanagaram district(Andhra Pradesh) on the festival day of ugadi, you will find many people from surrounding villages going in the same direction by walk, by bullock carts, on cycles on what ever mode of transport they can find. First time i saw this i thought it was some election day. Then some body told me that GMR and his family every year in UGADI day ensure they personally distribute food,clothes,books for children to the villagers. i don't remember this event being published in any newspaper articles outside of the region. And they have been doing it for last 25 years or so.

Guess it is good karma.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag

One last example not exactly on CSR but rather on employee relationships.

A very dear friend of mine who was heading an IT division at Mahindra's and he is retired now. He had worked in one of the local division for around 20 years and moved on to corporate HQ. he had bought a new scorpio that and happened to go the same division he started his career from. he was in the parking lot and an elderly workmen approached him , congratulated him on his new purchase, enquired about health of my friends family, was telling how happy he was that my friend had moved to corporate , gave blessings that he and his family should live happliy and so on. these all were genuine blessings expecting nothing in return.

So we were discussing this over drinks, my friend was saying "Why should a worker from a plant which i hadn't worked for in last 15 years come to me and give me genuine blessings , enquire about my health and my family's health?he could have simply ignored me and walked away. and i don't even know him or his name or which department he works for. it is rare to see such a genuine affection among workers now a days. "

In the pursuit of achieving quarterly targets , increments and year on year profitabilities, this kind of genuine trust between employer and employees are getting lost now a days.

Just my thoughts.

rajkumar singh

Country flag

Savji Dholakia is very simple and noble man. Just I seen his interview on T.V. Channel.
When he earned,appox. 1 crore,18 year back,then he shared his business profit to his 4 workers,by gifting one Maruti car to each.
Sence that time, hid income regularly increased, and he kept on gifting to his worker at same ratio and trends.

What he say,that, he is not gifting to workers,in stead of that, he is doing social business, by distributing the share of profit,among workers.

Due to this, Savji Dholakia's company reached turnover of Rs. 6000 cr.nat present.
It is a lesson of all industrious, to share their part of business profit,among hard core workers,instead of gifting them,silver coin.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles