Disney India

sanjay

Disney has a history of sourcing out child performer talent, to showcase in their kids-oriented entertainment programming. A number of grown-up Hollywood celebrities started out as Disney child performers, like the Mousketeers. I rather like their stuff:

Last edited by a moderator:

sanjay

They are increasingly producing a lot of country-specific fare for India:

sanjay

The teen idol phenomenon has been pretty strong across the rest of Asia. But we haven't really seen it emerge in India, mainly because the entertainment industry is dominated by stifling cronyism and nepotism, which will try to force an aging SRK and octogenarian Big B down our throats rather than offer new blood. I think that the corrupt Bollywood hegemony can be challenged and overthrown, by showcasing local language talent, and fresh youthful faces.

In pursuing this, I would recommend specifically promoting local languages plus sanskrit, while downplaying Hindi, which unfortunately is just a front for Urdu anyway. This type of approach would undermine the crooked Bollywood hegemons, and their inherently anti-national bent. Where cronyism and monopolism predominate and stifle, then new choices can be refreshingly liberating. People prefer freedom of choice, and where it is absent then new choices will look all the more appealing.

mayfair

For a minute I thought there was an announcement about Disneyland opening somewhere in India. It would be a good thing to have.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
^^ X2

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

sanjay

Leftist parties would never allow it - they would all regard it as 'cultural colonialism'. This is why more power should be devolved to the states, so that some can have the freedom to move backward, while some can have the freedom to move forward.

pankaj nema

Country flag
My dear friends There WAS a proposal for a Disneyland in India in mid Nineties

Haryana was chosen for it because Punjab Haryana Delhi and Western UP being prosperous would have brought regular visitors

But It raised a huge uproar over Land acquisition

It was the early days of liberalisation and FDI was looked at with suspicion

The opposition raised the issue that India DID NOT need Disneyland and only needed FDI in high tech and manufacturing sectors

So the project was scrapped

sanjay

Here's more news on the Russian theme park under development:

Russia's First Destination Resort Theme Park, Magic World Russia, to Involve Consortium of California Based Companies | Business Wire

If given a chance to design a theme park for India, how would you design it?

I would probably subdivide it into 3 main themes to focus on: Past, Present, Future

Past would focus on ancient cultural heritage stuff

Present would focus on modern day stuff, like Bollywood entertainment, thrill rides, Sports/Athletics, and animal wildlife nature preserve

Future would focus on technology, visions of tomorrow, space

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles