Did Japanese force Indian soldiers into indentured labour in Rabaul?

nirranj

Country flag
I dont know if this is true. But I just stumbled on this blog when I was searching on the Fate of Netaji.

The author of this article states that more than 22,000 INA soldiers were transported to Rabaul, Papua New Guinea under the disguise of fighting the Brits in a New front. But they were actually brought to Rabaul to dig underground tunnels for the Japanese. It also states that majority of the Indian soldiers either died while working or were massacred by th Japanese and some were cannibalised by the Japanese. Only a handfull of them ever managed to survive or escape.

He has also given many news paper archives from the post WWII days and they carry news on this matter.

The following quoted texts are from the blog.

They used the Indian to cultivate 16000 acres of vegetable gardens. They forced the locals to catch fish for them, and these local highlanders were poor fishermen.
The Indians died of Malaria, malnutrition, torture ( for NOT completing the daily quota ), big testicle Diphteria ( nicknamed Changi Indian balls ) , sunstroke, dysentery, wet Beriberi, sheer exhaustion—when they died they were just buried at tunnel extremes with displaced rubble.

Only 436 skeletons were exhumed and buried at Port Moresby Bomana Commonwealth war cemetery . When the found the DNA to be of Indian stock—a plaque was put " HERE LIES AN UNKOWN BRITISH SOLDIER 1942-45, KNOWN ONLY UNTO GOD"

Medicines were only for Japanese soldiers. Indian were given sweet potato and water to drink. If you have seen the Bridge on the River Kwai, the British officers refused to work with the Indian soldiers as a form of racism—all this history has been fudged. Rather you see the British Colonel doing Namaste in a very kind manner to them.

It is MOST FOUL that other nationalities write sob stories of how their soldiers dug these 620 kilometers of tunnels , and earn moolah by writing bullshit books. At least be respectful to the dead.

The war just over 65 years back— I got my news from local eye-witnesses and their children. The 22000 unfortunate INA army Indians were NOT allowed to wear uniforms. There were NIL Indians in Rabaul before the Japs came in. There were some Chinese and Filipinos in China town and some whites –that was all.

JUST 11 INDIAN SOULS , OUT OF 22000 INA SOLDIERS ( READ AS INDIAN SOLDIER WING OF JAPANESE ARMY ) SURVIVED -- THOSE WHO ESCAPED INTO THE DENSE JUNGLES.
Bottom line: If I had been in Netaji's place I would have wondered where is the catch?

Why are all the snooty big guns like Japanese Emperor, Japanese Prime minister, Hitler etc so eager to felicitate me?

Am I so damn important?

Or do they want to fool me and use my countrymen for CHEAP LABOUR ?

YES-- THEY GOT THEIR CHEAP LABOUR, GOT 620 KILOMETERS OF TUNNELS DUG THROUGH HARD ROCK IN 2 YEARS FLAT AND BURIED WHOEVER SURVIVED AFTER THE JOB --

NO QUESTIONS ASKED--
QUESTION TO BOSE:

WHEN THE CHANCELLOR OF GERMANY , THE PRIME MINISTER OF JAPAN AND OTHER IMPORTANT LEADERS WANTED TO HAVE PHOTO SHOOTS WITH YOU, AND SUDDENLY TREATED A NON-ENTITY LIKE YOU , LIKE PRINCESS DIANA -- WHY DID YOU NOT SMELL A RAT?
I am not sure if this article is full of BS or it contains truth.

Knowledged members can shed light.

The article,

Ajit Vadakayil: NETAJI SUBHASH CHANDRA BOSE , UNTOLD SECRETS OF RABAUL TUNNELS- CAPT AJIT VADAKAYIL

some newspaper archives with story on the slavery and Cannibalism,

11 Apr 1947 - INDIAN OFFICERS SHOT FOR BEING TOO WEAK TO WORK ...

07 Jul 1947 - WAR PRISONER WHO SURVIVED Indian Officer's Wewak...

17 Apr 1946 - DEATH FOR JAP WHO PRACTISED CANNIBALISM RABAU[?]...

:confused:

Last edited:

nirranj

Country flag
Re: Did Japanese forced Indian soldiers into indentured labour in Raba

@Ray sir Does this article has any truth in It?

Last edited by a moderator:

nirranj

Country flag

Well In this Case The Newspaper articles are all published by the victors of the war. This is a mystry just as the final days of Netaji and his death...

:frusty: our govt seems to be hiding things.

wrigsted

Country flag

Many of the stories about the "enemy" that came out in the years it during and immediately after the war is known for everything from true, exaggerating to be downright false. If you do not believe me try to read some of the other articles in the above link to the newspapers of that time.
One of the newspapers wrote that Emperor Hirohito has gone over to Christianity ...
A 100-200 word article from a newspaper by 46-47 is not very good source material and not enough to make such allegations and present it as the golden truth.
Do not misunderstand me I try in any way to imply that Axis powers was not guilty of terrible crimes against civilians, POW's and people they considered inferior!!!
The only one who knows what really happened was the people who were there, sadly there are not many of that generation left. A historian with access to the right sources is the best you can do nowadays. Not a random blogger with his own political agenda, that will almost certainly give a twisted view of reality.

But as @Ray says "I have no idea but I would not be surprised if They did"

nirranj

Country flag

Many of the stories about the "enemy" that came out in the years it during and immediately after the war is known for everything from true, exaggerating to be downright false. If you do not believe me try to read some of the other articles in the above link to the newspapers of that time.
One of the newspapers wrote that Emperor Hirohito has gone over to Christianity ...
A 100-200 word article from a newspaper by 46-47 is not very good source material and not enough to make such allegations and present it as the golden truth.
Do not misunderstand me I try in any way to imply that Axis powers was not guilty of terrible crimes against civilians, POW's and people they considered inferior!!!
The only one who knows what really happened was the people who were there, sadly there are not many of that generation left. A historian with access to the right sources is the best you can do nowadays. Not a random blogger with his own political agenda, that will almost certainly give a twisted view of reality.

But as @Ray says "I have no idea but I would not be surprised if They did"
I wasn't sure on the allegations made by the blogger. I thought It will be good to take that Here so that I can get cleared of the actual facts.

Yes, As You mentioned I am aware of the exaggerations that is possible when we hear only one side of the story.

In fact the Allied forces were also accused of unethical conduct in the pacific theater, like beheading captured Japanese soldiers, taking their bodily remains as war trophies etc.

It will be good to know, If really 22000 Indian Men lost their lives to Japanese war crimes so that we are not looking at a wrong or fabricated History.

The sufferings of Indians in the WW2 is mostly untold but it will be some of the most haunting stories ever told.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Re: Did Japanese force Indian soldiers into indentured labour in Rabau

I tweeted this thread and A Japanese follower of mine on twitter responded

[TWEET] 418529774001070080[/TWEET]

[TWEET] 418536439643512832 [/TWEET]

[TWEET] 418537800279920641[/TWEET]

[TWEET] 418542118613708801[/TWEET]

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

'As the famous saying goes - History is written by the Victor!

And all After Action Reports are fudged.

nirranj

Country flag

I couldnt see the Tweets here in DFI. But I have replied to some of the replies of that Japanese person on Twitter.

One of the accusations of the Blogger is that the contribution of Indians in Rabaul was never acknowledged.

TrueSpirit1

The Nobody
Banned

@nirranj This Ajit Vadakayil guy might come across at knowledgeable & persuasive initially, but look deeper, & you find a retrograde, regressive schizophrenic paranoid lurking within & dominating his discourse. I read many of his blogs yesterday. He needs immediate help, if it is still not too late.

It is for psychotic, fatuous ones like him that some good-for-nothing jholla-walla parasites get opportunity to hurl invectives at apolitical/nationalists patriots. He is not needed, frankly speaking.

Nonetheless, as for the cannibalizing incidents, slave labour & inhuman exploitation by Japs, it looks true, prima-facie. However, there is no way no corroborate that. But, it is very much plausible. Might is right.

TrueSpirit1

The Nobody
Banned

What did he say ? It is not visible...please repost.

nirranj

Country flag

@nirranj This Ajit Vadakayil guy might come across at knowledgeable & persuasive initially, but look deeper, & you find a retrograde, regressive schizophrenic paranoid lurking within & dominating his discourse. I read many of his blogs yesterday. He needs immediate help, if it is still not too late.

It is for psychotic, fatuous ones like him that some good-for-nothing jholla-walla parasites get opportunity to hurl invectives at apolitical/nationalists patriots. He is not needed, frankly speaking.

Nonetheless, as for the cannibalizing incidents, slave labour & inhuman exploitation by Japs, it looks true, prima-facie. However, there is no way no corroborate that. But, it is very much plausible. Might is right.
Yes, I too share your view. But He has made a serious accusation which needs some clarification.

He seems to have some hatred towards Netaji, But he is also pointing fingers at Gandhi and Nehru.

I am for a enhanced Indo-Japanese ties in the Asia-Pacific Geopolitical Game and beyond. But I dont want this to be based on a false WWII history. So personally I am interested in getting this cleared out.

nirranj

Country flag

What did he say ? It is not visible...please repost.
Indians were released after an oath & came to Rabaul as wage earners. Australia used it for propaganda as the prisoner abuse.
Indians were employed from applicans. Austrarian commander induced them who belong to the labor corps to accuse even a trifle.
Many Japanese were confined in prison. After a simple trial, the death penalty was sentenced to in sequence
The replies from the Japanese person.
@Yusuf, Sir I copied and pasted the text from Your twitter page. :innocent:

TrueSpirit1

The Nobody
Banned

Yes, I too share your view. But He has made a serious accusation which needs some clarification.

He seems to have some hatred towards Netaji, But he is also pointing fingers at Gandhi and Nehru.

I am for a enhanced Indo-Japanese ties in the Asia-Pacific Geopolitical Game and beyond. But I dont want this to be based on a false WWII history. So personally I am interested in getting this cleared out.
Yeah, even I am. But I do not know if there is an existing way to find out the truth as it occurred around 70 years back.

Waffen SS

@nirranj no it is not truth.

After fall of Singapore 45,000 Indian soldiers were captured and many some more from different wars in SE Asia and Hong Kong.

Most captured Indian soldiers joined Indian National Army, ultimately about 4000 soldiers and 30 officers remained pro-British, they did not join INA, they were shipped to Rabaul.

It is ridiculous to say 22,000 soldiers were shipped. Most laborers in Japanese camps were Koreans.

How ever yes, in first stages of war, some Indian prisoners were mistreated by Japanese before establishment of INA, some were summery executed.

Japan mistreated prisoners in WW2, Japanese were said to practice cannibalism from prisoners, beheading enemy prisoners, "comfort women", medical experiment on people. It was mainly because of Japanese tradition in which surrender is seen as a shame. Fight till you die.

So in conclusion yes, some Indian soldiers were shipped to Rabaul, were mistreated but the number was not 22,000.

nirranj

Country flag

@nirranj no it is not truth.

After fall of Singapore 45,000 Indian soldiers were captured and many some more from different wars in SE Asia and Hong Kong.

Most captured Indian soldiers joined Indian National Army, ultimately about 4000 soldiers and 30 officers remained pro-British, they did not join INA, they were shipped to Rabaul.

It is ridiculous to say 22,000 soldiers were shipped. Most laborers in Japanese camps were Koreans.

How ever yes, in first stages of war, some Indian prisoners were mistreated by Japanese before establishment of INA, some were summery executed.

Japan mistreated prisoners in WW2, Japanese were said to practice cannibalism from prisoners, beheading enemy prisoners, "comfort women", medical experiment on people. It was mainly because of Japanese tradition in which surrender is seen as a shame. Fight till you die.

So in conclusion yes, some Indian soldiers were shipped to Rabaul, were mistreated but the number was not 22,000.
Thanks Bro. God information.

I feel to some extant that mistreatment part should be examined. Though the 4000 persons were pro British, still they are Indians.

ice berg

For those who are interested:

Journal of the Australian War Memorial | Australian War Memorial

Six companies of Indians went to Wewak in New Guinea and nine to Rabaul. Their experience suggests both the ordeal of their captivity and its legal and ethical ambiguities. According to Jemadar Chint Singh, a key witness in the story of Indians in New Guinea, the Indians were at first accommodated in a swamp about eight kilometres from Wewak Point, between the sea and a creek.11 The campsite was selected by Colonel Takano, the commander of the six Wewak working parties. Prisoners were compelled to build their own "totally inadequate" huts, hastily erecting them using grass offering little protection from heavy rain. Chint Singh recalled how the camp flooded and "we usually slept in water". Because no effective sanitary facilities could be constructed in the waterlogged camp the sick rate increased. The few Indian medical officers in the working parties had no medical equipment and were obliged to labour at the harbour unloading ships as part of work details. Colonel Takano repeatedly called for the prisoners to work harder, beating men whom he thought were working too slowly. On one occasion recalled by Chint Singh, he beat three men with a thick wooden stick, shouting "Why are you working so slowly?", though the men, who were suffering from beri beri, could not understand him. Despite this ill-treatment the Wewak prisoners are unique among prisoners of the Japanese because they mounted at least three protests against the conditions of their captivity: a petition, a hunger strike, and what Japanese witnesses described as an "uprising

With references that can be crosschecked.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles