Dhanush the Indian Bofors

Kchontha

Country flag
And now it might be heading toward loc n pounding the porks.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Immortal

Country flag
Does anybody having monthly delivery schedule of Dhanush guns

neeraj_

Does anybody having monthly delivery schedule of Dhanush guns
It's not a fix monthly schedule as the many guns and it's parts will be made simultaneously and then their testing .

Around 114 are supposed to be delivered in 4 years . 6 in the first year which are delivered. So in next 3 around 108 will be delivered with gradual production rate increase.

But to have an optimum output army should have given a confirmed bigger order . When you give order in small batches OFB will be reluctant to invest on increasing the capacity . This is the main reason why many programs are getting delayed.

garg_bharat

Country flag
I don't have to. My question is simple, which you are refusing to answer. If you don't have the answers accept that. Otherwise provide them. I repeat the questions
It is for ministry of defence to worry about capability of suppliers. It goes without saying that production capacity is important in drawing up delivery schedules.

Most likely these guns will be delivered in batches of 6 rather than monthly.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Imported Guns from Israel threatens ATAGS and Dhanush

Source: Indian Defence Review (WordPress)
Author: Chris Gupta

As per latest reports the Indian Army’s tender for 1250 towed artillery guns has found a winner. The L1 bidder has been declared as the consortium of Elbit and Bharat Forge. The gun in contention is the ATHOS 2052 from Israel, which is a 155mm 52 caliber gun and has a strike range of 40 kilometers. Interestingly the price of the Israeli gun is cheaper than the Indian OFB developed Dhanush. The consortium intends to completely manufacture the gun in India with full technology transfer, HOWEVER the fact remains that the opening of this tender comes with a terrible timing, at a time when India is all ready to get self-sufficient in this requirement.

Had this tender been approved 4 to 5 years ago it would have meant a significant leap for the Indian Army but its current approval could mean smaller or no orders for the Indian produced guns if a contract for the ATHOS 2052 is to be signed. The Indian Dhanush for its part is a 155mm 45 caliber gun and has a strike range of 38 to 40 kilometers. Not many know but the Dhanush also has a 155mm 52 caliber version which comes with the same 40 kilometer range and has two variants. One being towed and the other truck mounted. Now the next gun ATAGS is arguably a world record holder and has fired at a record 48 kilometers distance, which is substantially higher as compared to any other conventional gun in the same category.

The one fact that continues to baffle every or any defense analyst would be, why should we squeeze our own defense industry to make way for imported stuff. Realistically there is a lot of other equipment that we need to import like fighter jets, armed drones and submarines. Why in basic understanding would we want to import a gun system from Israel, when we are already producing a similar weapon in the country. Same is the case for basic trainer jets and even frigates for the navy. The Indian Navy is looking to induct four frigates with Russian help, there is a huge shortage of ships in the Indian Navy and Russia has two unfinished hulls which cant find engines. It would be logical to import just two directly from the Russians, to make up for numbers. The other two of the four are to be manufactured at Goa shipyard from scratch with technology transfer and assistance from the Russians. Now once again why not have the additional two, be examples of the Project 17A, which are presently being constructed by Mazagon shipyard Mumbai and Garden Reach shipyard Kolkata. It is a well understood fact that the Indian Shivalik class frigates are better than the Russian Talwar class in many / most aspects. Why in the name of basic understanding are we paying for technology that we already have.

garg_bharat

Country flag
My friend this discussion of imported vs Indian is a fruitless discussion.

Why?

Because all weapons we use are of Western origin. Means West did it before India. This also means that West has a technological edge. So anybody receiving latest weapons from West can gain an edge over India if India does not possess similar weapons.

This puts India in a uniquely difficult position. That is India's local R&D and defence industries MUST produce weapons which match best in the world. Merely producing something is not good enough.

A combination of import, collaboration, and indigenous R&D is needed to keep the sword's edge sharp.

I think current government is doing the right thing.

garg_bharat

Country flag
Hindustan Aeronautics is transitioning to locally developed products from screw driver assembly. It was not easy as all HAL wants to do is screw driver jobs. Real value addition is foreign to our PSUs. But a combination of push and morale boost has worked to improve the working of defence PSUs.

Same is the story of other PSUs. The defence industry ecosystem has improved significantly under current government if you analyze value added. Even HAL's value added is significantly more as imports are replaced.

Aaj ka hero

Has left
Banned
Country flag
My friend this discussion of imported vs Indian is a fruitless discussion.

Why?

Because all weapons we use are of Western origin. Means West did it before India. This also means that West has a technological edge. So anybody receiving latest weapons from West can gain an edge over India if India does not possess similar weapons.

This puts India in a uniquely difficult position. That is India's local R&D and defence industries MUST produce weapons which match best in the world. Merely producing something is not good enough.

A combination of import, collaboration, and indigenous R&D is needed to keep the sword's edge sharp.

I think current government is doing the right thing.
No, it is a logical question.
ATAGS is not a technological backwardness.
Neither you can say Dhanush is a joke.
Instead of WASTING YES WASTING Dollars on buying the same capability gun, better we INVEST on making high technology shells as well as fuses.
If INDIAN ARMY DO GO WITH THIS ORDER IN NO PART OF MY MIND I WILL BRAND IT IMPORT ARMY.
If you don't have gun then you want to do import, if you have gun then you come with capacity problem, ya tomorrow we are going on WW3.
Looks like "ghee mein jabardasti ungli dalna hi hai chahe kaise bhi".

Aaj ka hero

Has left
Banned
Country flag
Realistically there is a lot of other equipment that we need to import like fighter jets, armed drones and submarines.
This is the thing I am trying to say since from the very beginning I entered into this forum.

binayak95

Country flag
Instead of WASTING YES WASTING Dollars on buying the same capability gun, better we INVEST on making high technology shells as well as fuses.
If INDIAN ARMY DO GO WITH THIS ORDER IN NO PART OF MY MIND I WILL BRAND IT IMPORT ARMY.
If you don't have gun then you want to do import, if you have gun then you come with capacity problem, ya tomorrow we are going on WW3.
Ehh your first argument itself reveals the problem.

Indian made equipment is more expensive than firangi maal.

There in lies the problem.

Aaj ka hero

Has left
Banned
Country flag
Ehh your first argument itself reveals the problem.

Indian made equipment is more expensive than firangi maal.

There in lies the problem.
Sirji, ya toh development hi karlo aur paise kharch karo.
Ya toh hath aur pair baandhlo aur boldo FIRANGION ko "aao bhai Market mein tumhare hi samaan ke liye hum log Tender Nikal te hain".
Haath thode ghisse gein to cricketer cricket hi khelna chodd de , aur APNE DOUBLE SE CRICKET KHELWAE, magar double ke TEWAR bhi jhel ne padenge aur ek aur baat DOUBLE WALE KA DIMAG AAPKE CONTROL mein bhi nahi rahega.

garg_bharat

Country flag
Dhanush has happened due to maturing of India's engineering industry. Same for ATAGS.
BUT that is not the case in every field. In fact India is still seriously lagging in Aviation despite some success in LCA Tejas. I use "some" as still major components are imported.
Wherever India can build, MOD is giving preference to Indian companies.

However MOD should have a reasonable expectation. Too much hopium can cause reverses in the battlefield. MOD needs to see what is possible and what is to be imported.

In fact Rafale deal was done with 50% offsets, intentionally to build an Aviation ecosystem in India. While Rafale is imported, it brings many technological benefits in terms of capability of Indian industry.

Aaj ka hero

Has left
Banned
Country flag
Dhanush has happened due to maturing of India's engineering industry. Same for ATAGS.
BUT that is not the case in every field. In fact India is still seriously lagging in Aviation despite some success in LCA Tejas. I use "some" as still major components are imported.
Wherever India can build, MOD is giving preference to Indian companies.

However MOD should have a reasonable expectation. Too much hopium can cause reverses in the battlefield. MOD needs to see what is possible and what is to be imported.

In fact Rafale deal was done with 50% offsets, intentionally to build an Aviation ecosystem in India. While Rafale is imported, it brings many technological benefits in terms of capability of Indian industry.
Ya, I am with you on aviation front but we do have to stop where we have gained some self-sufficiency and MOVE TO THE NEXT LEVEL.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles