DFI - AV/Hi-Fi & Allied Gear Discussion Thread

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
Ain't avrs expensive ?....... 30 characters.

My experience says that no one uses more than 50 watts in a home or a bigger home environment, so purchasing a costly system isn't worth it !

OneGrimPilgrim

Country flag
Ain't avrs expensive ?....... 30 characters.
nothing's expensive if you're determined, a bit crazy, earn decent/have saved decent, & esp have no qualms about dabbling in seconds-sales! :D

i infact had started my hunt with the specific target in mind, of aiming to buy only a used AVR. however, with more research & auditions, eventually i gravitated towards a new product, and providence helped me by also granting a very good offer on it on time! another good thing was that i got a product from a brand which's generally considered to be ace among usual enthusiasts as well as sellers when it comes to sound-reproduction in AVRs (albeit, mine belongs to the 'budget'-tier), while i had started with the thought in mind that i WONT be buying an AVR from that brand (reason being, expensive + 'soft' sound & blah blah).

A chauhan

Country flag
Then I also should start searching for used AVR in OLX :lol::sad:

A chauhan

Country flag
nothing's expensive if you're determined, a bit crazy, earn decent/have saved decent, & esp have no qualms about dabbling in seconds-sales! :D

i infact had started my hunt with the specific target in mind, of aiming to buy only a used AVR. however, with more research & auditions, eventually i gravitated towards a new product, and providence helped me by also granting a very good offer on it on time! another good thing was that i got a product from a brand which's generally considered to be ace among usual enthusiasts as well as sellers when it comes to sound-reproduction in AVRs (albeit, mine belongs to the 'budget'-tier), while i had started with the thought in mind that i WONT be buying an AVR from that brand (reason being, expensive + 'soft' sound & blah blah).
OGP, can you tell me some tricks, tips and expert opinion on using AVRs, e.g. how to connect pc with it ?...

OneGrimPilgrim

Country flag
i have around 30 m. of OFC cable with me, spare. have no use for it. anybody interested in buying from me? i'll be putting it up for sale soon on various portals. would be useful for anybody setting up an HTS.

Then I also should start searching for used AVR in OLX :lol::sad:
i know 1-2 trustworthy sellers on olx/quikr (one is from Chennai) who can give very good deals on new AVRs (but i think w/o warranty).

OneGrimPilgrim

Country flag
whaaa..?! ज्ये ता बगल में छोरा और गाँव में ढिंढ़ोरा हो गया!
enter @OneGrimPilgrim (but not now, a while later, when i can spare some time to reply in little detail)! :cool1:
this had been looong overdue!

@A chauhan @Krusty @gekko has been missing since Aug. 22, 2017, Tuesday

my HT components :-

AVR...
(& my old stereo integrated amp - DNM audio A-777)

ceiling speakers (in dolby atmos config)

floorstander, and AVR atop stereo amp and 12" sub

CENTER SPEAKER

Last edited:

OneGrimPilgrim

Country flag
REAR BIPOLARS

...from up close...

the bipolars are huge! actually the only small speakers in my config are the ceiling ones (but they're in dual-speaker array), and the least used too.

HTPC, to play movies (has an LG BD-RW drive as well), vids, music (use a logitech squeezebox classic too sometimes, as a network music player, as mine is blind. display had conked off as soon as i bought it. had configured it to control from PC connected through LAN after quite some head-breaking!)

all the speakers were custom-made. floorstanders are old, revamped some years back. the stereo amp is also old. rest all are new. i had done bi-amping once, with the stereo amp. increased treble. not very harsh. but didnt try after that. will try once again and then take a call whether i should keep it or sell it off.

Last edited:

Krusty

Country flag
this had been looong overdue!

@A chauhan @Krusty @gekko has been missing since Aug. 22, 2017, Tuesday

my HT components :-

AVR...
(& my old stereo integrated amp - DNM audio A-777)

ceiling speakers (in dolby atmos config)

floorstander, and AVR atop stereo amp and 12" sub

CENTER SPEAKER

Woah! .... sweet setup ... how much did the whole setup cost?

I am jelly :laugh:

P.S: rough month at work.. so I'm not on DFI as much as I used to be... story of my life lol

OneGrimPilgrim

Country flag
Woah! .... sweet setup ... how much did the whole setup cost?

I am jelly :laugh:

P.S: rough month at work.. so I'm not on DFI as much as I used to be... story of my life lol
lol. thanks. :D
upwards of a lakh.

P.S. - i was indicating at gekko. he's been unseen since late aug.
though yes, even my presence here has taken a hit since past couple of days due to work. will only increase in the coming time. i just *may* be coming to Simhapuram this weekend for a week. if you and me both get some time free before am to return, then could meet up somewhere. else, next time. i surmise that would be making some frequent trips to the place in the coming period.

Krusty

Country flag
upwards of a lakh.

though yes, even my presence here has taken a hit since past couple of days due to work. will only increase in the coming time. i just *may* be coming to Simhapuram this weekend for a week. if you and me both get some time free before am to return, then could meet up somewhere. else, next time. i surmise that would be making some frequent trips to the place in the coming period.
Dayum... one lakh on AV system.. is it that everyone's rich or I'm just poor? :pound:

Well, i travel frequently to our Malaysian office and I might do so in the next week too. I'm not sure. But do PM me when you are here. Let's meet up if you could spare some free time.

A chauhan

Country flag
upwards of a lakh.

You are an audiophile OGP :eek1: :lehappy:
I also intend to get something like that but in a cost effective way, how much the Marantz AVR cost you ?

How about a cheaper Philips SPA5250B and using my diy speakers as FL and FR, finally having a 7.1 ? do I seriously need an AVR (I think I do need).

A chauhan

Country flag
@OneGrimPilgrim

Ki holaa exorcist saheb :notsure:...................

Tell us more about your rear bipolars, size, driver specifications, tuning frequency, enclosure type etc..

OneGrimPilgrim

Country flag
@OneGrimPilgrim

Ki holaa exorcist saheb :notsure:...................

Tell us more about your rear bipolars, size, driver specifications, tuning frequency, enclosure type etc..
arey yaar kaam mein marwa rahe hain! :prison: :mad2:

will tell the specs later

You are an audiophile OGP :eek1: :lehappy:
I also intend to get something like that but in a cost effective way, how much the Marantz AVR cost you ?

How about a cheaper Philips SPA5250B and using my diy speakers as FL and FR, finally having a 7.1 ? do I seriously need an AVR (I think I do need).
depends on usage really. if you watch a lot of HQ movies with surround-sound audio-streams to them, then would make sense to go the AVR way. also provides much flexibility, than the pseudo 5.1 systems (wont also be able to extend the channels with the latter, plus would be tough to experiment with different sets of speakers). least you could do is buy a digital surround sound system, something like the Logitech z906. but at the price-point it comes now, is not too distant from what you can buy a new, decent HTiB for.

A chauhan

Country flag
arey yaar kaam mein marwa rahe hain! :prison: :mad2:

will tell the specs later

depends on usage really. if you watch a lot of HQ movies with surround-sound audio-streams to them, then would make sense to go the AVR way. also provides much flexibility, than the pseudo 5.1 systems (wont also be able to extend the channels with the latter, plus would be tough to experiment with different sets of speakers). least you could do is buy a digital surround sound system, something like the Logitech z906. but at the price-point it comes now, is not too distant from what you can buy a new, decent HTiB for.
I use my music system occasionally, so normal 5.1 would suffice my need, if I had any avr then I would have gone for passive 5.1 system like Pyle's.

I want to use 5.1 with my existing amp and speaker set. I am still speculating buying avr...

A chauhan

Country flag
Logitech Z906 is a good one but it lacks bluetooth, usb and wifi connectivity. Can I buy a used AVR and use custom passive speakers to make it 7.2 ?

A chauhan

Country flag
Afaik we use AVRs for these reasons :-

1. Matrixing and Dolby audio
2. DSP effects
3. Cable management

So my question is - can DAC if used with amplifier fulfill that purpose ?

A chauhan

Country flag
Today I enquired Philips SPA 5250b in local market, one said it will cost 11,800/-, another one said 11,500/-.

:notsure:I am not getting clear picture of my setup at present, may be a year later I will buy AVR and Taga Harmony box set.

@OneGrimPilgrim

A chauhan

Country flag
Yesterday I went to a local dealer of AVRs in Raipur, who quoted me Rs. 45,000/- for a Yamaha AVR + HT (I didn't ask model no. as I went there with my friend who wanted to buy a cheap HT), but perhaps the model was 2910.

He gave me demo of that system and played Bahubali - 2 Shivam song, though the bass was not so heavy but sound clarity was awesome.:lehappy:

@OneGrimPilgrim looks like you damn busy in your office !!:scared1:

Last edited:

OneGrimPilgrim

Country flag
I use my music system occasionally, so normal 5.1 would suffice my need, if I had any avr then I would have gone for passive 5.1 system like Pyle's.

I want to use 5.1 with my existing amp and speaker set. I am still speculating buying avr...
for music, why 5.1? there're umpteen 2.0 passive speakers to go with your amp (what amp is it btw?).

Afaik we use AVRs for these reasons :-

1. Matrixing and Dolby audio
2. DSP effects
3. Cable management

So my question is - can DAC if used with amplifier fulfill that purpose ?
cable management? didn't get you. DSP effects are not used that widely I think. many good models don't seem to have it. they provide for user-customization, which frankly I think is not needed when you're at a level where you'd prefer neutral or 'reference-level' sound. for surround-sound processing, obvious yes, dolby and DTS and their various codecs.
other functions - amplification, provision of internet radio, Bluetooth, audio-video streaming, audio and picture-processing, allows for connections for multiple devices (I think this is what you meant by cable-mgmt.?).........

a stereo integrated amp (preferably w/ DAC) is ALWAYS preferred over an(y) AVR for sole music-listening purpose!

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles