Device to track down snipers developed: DRDO

indiatester

Country flag
Refraction can be detected from a distance (source), you dont need another sensor at the destination. So, ok I will correct you. You are wrong. Politely. And what makes you think that all reflected light is reflected back to the source?

Check your diagram. The source only needs to detect that the laser has changed direction. It would mean that there is a refracting medium there. Above a certain tolerance, you know the medium is not just glass or water but a lens.
How is the source going to know that? Like @Kunal Biswas explained later, a gun locating radar works on guns that are actively being used. But using lasers to detect scopes in an urban environment is bound to give loads of false positives and may not detect reasonably concealed scopes
Check this

link
SunGuard killFlash ARD (Anti-Reflection Device)

You may be right that the technology is more sound. From the info I see, I am not convinced.

Last edited by a moderator:

indiatester

Country flag
Scopes are made of glass. Glass is transparent in visible spectrum, but opaque and reflective in LWIR and MWIR, a scope pointing in direction of the target with a LWIR/MWIR laser scanner will produce a nice 'ping' due to near normal angle of incidence.
Even transparent do reflect some amount of light back (from both the surfaces) thats not an issue in my view. In the urban environment, there are lots and lots of materials that will do the same (including spectacles). I want to know how the DRDO developed systems ignores those and identifies proper scopes.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Yes that is a countermeasure if applied well, Sniper can escape..

But again @indiatester, This system will be a addition to already existing system and will increase probability of catching a Sniper ..

indiatester

Country flag
Yes that is a countermeasure if applied well, Sniper can escape..

But again @indiatester, This system will be a addition to already existing system and will increase probability of catching a Sniper ..
Alright. I'll just take your word for it. Do post more info when you come across though. This itch is not fully scratched.

Twinblade

Country flag
Even transparent do reflect some amount of light back (from both the surfaces) thats not an issue in my view. In the urban environment, there are lots and lots of materials that will do the same (including spectacles). I want to know how the DRDO developed systems ignores those and identifies proper scopes.
Angle of incidence plays a very important role. Reading through brochures of similar products, these products are so sensitive that they can also pick up eyeballs staring you back ! Product description from a similar device:-

A forward looking infrared (FLIR) sees in the 8-12 micron range of the spectrum, detecting temperature differences between bodies that allow it to "see" hot vehicle components from the heat generated. An infrared camera/illuminator uses backscattered infrared (808 nm) illumination to light up an area of interest at distances up to 1 km. Optical augmentation (glint) from an individual's rifle scope/binoculars or even a person's retinas provides a means of detecting that individual. Variable focus on the illum-ination/camera can then determine, without alerting the suspect, whether the person is carrying weaponry or is moving suspiciously.
The infrared laser can also be used to covertly designate (spotlight) a person for night vision-capable forces. A visible laser, a doubled neodymium doped yttrium aluminum garnet (Nd:YAG) (green) laser, or an optional red laser can also be used to visibly designate a threatening individual. The threatening individual's reaction to visible illumination can help determine his intent;
Systems used by snipers like a pantihose stretched over the lens, or a dark lace curtains over windows work because they provide a very high contrast against the backdrop and reflecting a smaller amount of light compared to the background. The idea is to absorb as much of light falling on the shooter while allowing maximum amount of incident lighting to pass through the micro channels in the curtain or the anti reflection device. If the scope is pointed towards a target in general vicinity of this system, the laser beam will be incident to any observation binoculars/scopes and will receive a significant glint. Here's a demo of one such device working in an urban setting.

trackwhack

How is the source going to know that? Like @Kunal Biswas explained later, a gun locating radar works on guns that are actively being used. But using lasers to detect scopes in an urban environment is bound to give loads of false positives and may not detect reasonably concealed scopes
Check this

link
SunGuard killFlash ARD (Anti-Reflection Device)

You may be right that the technology is more sound. From the info I see, I am not convinced.

Im not sure you understand High school physics well. Angle of incidence and angle of refraction can be measured from the source and based on distance, the refraction co-eff can be calculated. No glass can refract light beyond a certain threshold, only lenses can. Over and Out trying to educate dufusses.

t_co

Wouldn't this produce a ton of false positives for things like cameras, which also have thick telescopic lenses? VVIP events tend to have tons of cameras. A determined attacker could simply hide behind a forest of photojournalists, or have his teammates all hoist up telescopic lenses from a bunch of different balconies overlooking the event to confuse security.

Last edited:

trackwhack

Wouldn't this produce a ton of false positives for things like cameras, which also have thick telescopic lenses? As most of you should know, VVIP events tend to have tons of cameras...
Any optics - yes. Reflecting surfaces - No.

t_co

Any optics - yes. Reflecting surfaces - No.
Exactly my point: the lens on many top-of-the-line cameras is as powerful or even more powerful than sniper rifle lenses. They would set this alarm off for sure. And at a big outdoor VVIP event, there may be tens or even hundreds of photographers pointing these types of cameras right at the dignitary's head - the exact same angle a sniper would aim at.

trackwhack

Exactly my point: the lens on many top-of-the-line cameras is as powerful or even more powerful than sniper rifle lenses. They would set this alarm off for sure. And at a big outdoor VVIP event, there may be tens or even hundreds of photographers pointing these types of cameras right at the dignitary's head - the exact same angle a sniper would aim at.
Yes but photographers are less likely to be sitting in building windows than snipers are. Secondly, this device is not only meant for internal security. Ever heard of snipers in wars?

indiatester

Country flag
Im not sure you understand High school physics well. Angle of incidence and angle of refraction can be measured from the source and based on distance, the refraction co-eff can be calculated. No glass can refract light beyond a certain threshold, only lenses can. Over and Out trying to educate dufusses.
OMG. I'm not sure what you are thinking, but that is not possible at the source without reflected light. Please understand even with refraction, there is some light reflected off the surface.
I also fail to understand the difference between "glass" and "lenses"

What have you studied up to?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles