Device to track down snipers developed: DRDO

AVERAGE INDIAN

EXORCIST
Country flag
New Delhi: To protect VVIPs from snipers, DRDO says it has developed a laser device which can detect and locate potential assassins hiding behind windows with their hi-tech rifles.

"We have developed a device called the Optical Target Locater. It is a portable laser-based device for detection of optical and electro optical threats. It can help the agencies looking after VVIP security to locate snipers and spies trying to follow their high-value targets," DRDO's Laser Science and Technology Centre (LASTEC) Director Anil Kumar Maini told PTI.

He was showcasing the systems developed by the Delhi- based lab on its raising day last week.

The LASTEC Director said the device has been developed and successfully test evaluated for optical targets up to a range of 300 metres.

On the functioning of the device, he said a laser beam is released from the equipment which scans the designated area and the moment it hits any device such as a telescope, binocular or the telescopic sight of a sniper rifle, the location of a sniper can be detected.

"The best part is that the sniper would not even know that he has been compromised and he can be apprehended," Maini said.

The security agencies deployed for VVIP protection are already using imported equipment for scanning the areas being visited by the VVIPS.

"The equipment used by these agencies is almost two to three times more expensive than the device developed by us and they have shown keen interest in the product developed by us," Maini said.

NSG chief JN Choudhury, who was present at the raising day, showed keen interest in the equipment developed by the lab, saying such devices can be of immense help to security agencies.

Device to track down snipers developed: DRDO - IBNLive

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
"The best part is that the sniper would not even know that he has been compromised and he can be apprehended," Maini said.
If the timing works out that way. I would say the physical security of buildings in the area of the target (VVIP or whatever) will remain just as important as this gadget.

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
On the functioning of the device, he said a laser beam is released from the equipment which scans the designated area and the moment it hits any device such as a telescope, binocular or the telescopic sight of a sniper rifle, the location of a sniper can be detected.
How does it scan? Is telescope, binocular etc sending some "electrical" signals which can be detected?

indiatester

Country flag
Can't be that simple. I see 2 problems at the outset
1) They'll have false positives from all reflecting surfaces, right from spectacles to glass buildings
2) There are enough low cost improvements on telescopic sights that reflects the minimum of light back

I won't buy it unless I see a demo.

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
1) They'll have false positives from all reflecting surfaces, right from spectacles to glass buildings
2) There are enough low cost improvements on telescopic sights that reflects the minimum of light back

Specially the building today are using reflective/non-reflective glasses on a massive scale.

Some buildings simply have glass walls.

trackwhack

1) The device works on optics which use lenses and hence refraction, not reflection. So no false positives from glass buildings.
2) Again, not reflection, refraction.

indiatester

Country flag
1) The device works on optics which use lenses and hence refraction, not reflection. So no false positives from glass buildings.
2) Again, not reflection, refraction.
Do correct me if I am wrong.
With the lasers in this device DRDO has developed, you will need a transmitter for light (laser source) and a receiver/detector on the device itself to hopefully calculate something.
If you are talking refraction only, then the laser light you have transmitted will go in one direction alone

If that is the case, the detector must be behind every such surface.

I am pretty sure that it has to depend on reflected light.

trackwhack

With the lasers in this device DRDO has developed, you will need a transmitter for light (laser source) and a receiver/detector on the device itself to hopefully calculate something.
If you are talking refraction only, then the laser light you have transmitted will go in one direction alone

If that is the case, the detector must be behind every such surface.

I am pretty sure that it has to depend on reflected light.
Refraction can be detected from a distance (source), you dont need another sensor at the destination. So, ok I will correct you. You are wrong. Politely. And what makes you think that all reflected light is reflected back to the source?

Check your diagram. The source only needs to detect that the laser has changed direction. It would mean that there is a refracting medium there. Above a certain tolerance, you know the medium is not just glass or water but a lens.

Twinblade

Country flag
Scopes are made of glass. Glass is transparent in visible spectrum, but opaque and reflective in LWIR and MWIR, a scope pointing in direction of the target with a LWIR/MWIR laser scanner will produce a nice 'ping' due to near normal angle of incidence.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
New Delhi: To protect VVIPs from snipers,
Is that the bloody role of D O D Os??

to protect VVIPs, India can spend the required money !!

What India can not spend is expenditure to protect her soldiers due to high cost and scale of imports !!

These reservationist and South Indian D O D O s are paid very high and handsome money to device things for Indian soldiers. But look at them, they keep their focus on Tamasha and histrionics... keep themselves relevant by producing irrelevant things and keep themselves in news .. They are, to follow footsteps of Sagarika Ghosh, " Internet Scientists" ...

Result always is Kafut.. fut fut and Fut Fut... The " Internet Scientists" or rather the "Publicity Scientists"... lots of threatening noises on media but nothing on ground expect their fat playbills..

hitesh

I don't believe effective ness of such device in real world there would be lot of obstacles ,what if the sniper behind glass wall & hole for his barrel :sad:

Last edited:

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
^Budhau sathiya gayo se 😁
Answer my question ?

How many sets of such equipment would be needed.. for VVIP protection ?

For those numbers should government of India waste Crores of money ?
It is better to import those.. small numbers

You ----- better focus on researching in those areas for which you draw your salaries.. or quit and say good buy..

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
I don't believe effective ness of such device in real world there would be lot of obstacles ,what if the sniper behind glass wall & hole for his barrel :sad:
I agree... it does not take D O D Os to make inventions... these have been tried and found useless..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
DRDO hardware are being used at front lines including Multi sight systems, They are quite useful and better than those imported once ..

This system will be used around CT areas also ..

I agree... it does not take D O D Os to make inventions... these have been tried and found useless..
For those numbers should government of India waste Crores of money ? It is better to import those.. small numbers..
^Budhau sathiya gayo se 😁

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
In Astan and Iraq, US and other NATO countries used Acoustic based devices to locate enemy sniper and then bring down mortar and arty fire before an anti sniper team can be placed near by ..

In Indian context. When a shot is fired the acoustic based device will pick up the direction of gun fire, After wards a more through out scan be done with this laser based devices, Its will be one of the devices which are networked with other sniper locating devices which are based on acoustic nature..

This will save solider lives ..

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles