Desai questions 'suitability' of Gita in modern India

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
The Professor Emeritus said: "In the text, it has been asked to do karma without thinking about the consequences. How can it be said that we should not think about the consequences? Whatever we do affects others too. For example, if I start drinking and then driving without thinking about the consequences, I might kill many people on the road."
Load of BS.
Whatever happened to the context of the conversation. The context was the path of dharma, as Arjun was worried about the consequences of taking arms against his own brothers.

That means you have not seen the fanaticism of the new converts...;)
Somehow the new converts .. or to say converts in general figure among the most fanatic ones in any religion.
The poorer and socially deprived the man is, the more he will cling to things like "izzat", "lok laaj", "God/Religion".

mki

The Professor Emeritus said: "In the text, it has been asked to do karma without thinking about the consequences. How can it be said that we should not think about the consequences? Whatever we do affects others too. For example, if I start drinking and then driving without thinking about the consequences, I might kill many people on the road."
I am afraid to say the author have took the lesson compactly wrong.
do karma without thinking about the consequences. How can it be said that we should not think about the consequences? This text says that, do according to dharma (Dharma means, your ethical and moral duty).( Drinking and Driving is not moral or ethical duty). Let me put this way (one of many example) take that karma yoga in practical state today. "at present in our country its our duty to fight against corruption, injustice, crime. If one of your love one (your family member or friend) involve in such crime its your moral and ethical duty to oppose him, if necessary go to public file a case against him, fight for the truth and for the good of the others. take firm stand against immoral, unethical and criminal people. thats your duty, dont think about consequences like he will have to go jail or he will get the sentence or your other love one (supporter of the person whom you are opposing) try to harm you. "

"If I do that, I might have to go for psychological examination. It is not possible that we go on thinking just about doing karma without thinking about others. How can we think only about ourselves and not others and go on killing people.
here he took karma again in the wrong way. karma means act, if you drink and drive ofcourse immoral and unethical, harmful for you and others, so its crime and punishable by law of all civilize world.

"Women have not been mentioned in the Bhagavad Gita anywhere. It is just two shlokas where they have been mentioned. One among the two is that mentioned in 9.32 (chapter 9, verse 32) that is mam hi partha vyapasritya ye 'pi syuh papa-yonayah striyo vaisyas tatha sudras te 'pi yanti param gatim. The translation for this is ' son of Pritha, those who take shelter in Me, though they be of lower birth, women, vaishyas [merchants] and shudras [workers] can attain the supreme destination.' This is again to be thought about."
In the above text, the moral of the story is all (men, women, not justified my birth or any one) they will get supreme destination if they take shelter in god (act according to dharma and rule of karma). in this text the women are not considered lower then men. here is the conversation between krishna and parth (son of pritha). Let me put it this way, the Bhagvat gita is the summary of the whole human character, how human should to act. If you really want to understand Bhagvat gita, you just cant read and get whole idea, you need to see the previous and after the bhagvat gita. in any text of bhagvat gita women is not mentioning lower then men.

Zebra

Country flag
^^

Not many people know it but there is another gita Ashtavakra gita Ashtavakra Gita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Ashtavakra Gita (Sanskrit in Devanagari: अष्टावक्रगीता; IAST: aṣṭāvakragītā)[1] or the Song of Ashtavakra is a classical Advaita Vedanta scripture. Based on the language structure, this Vedic scripture is also known as Ashtavakra Samhita, and it is dated to be around 1100 BCE to 800 BCE based on the composition style of the Sanskrit language[2]. The Ashtavakra Samhita documents a dialogue between the Perfect Master Ashtavakra and Janaka, the King of Mithila.[3]
Yeah, it is there and you are right.

But what I think is the 'GITA' word used here just to say that this also spoken by someone to educate someone and in the the conversational form, Spiritual Literature emerge or re-emerge.

BTW, the 'Two Gita' which mentioned was spoken by the Lord Krishna himself.

Zebra

Country flag
Yeah, it is there and you are right.

But what I think is the 'GITA' word used here just to say that this also spoken by someone to educate someone and in the the conversational form, Spiritual Literature emerge or re-emerge.

BTW, the 'Two Gita' which mentioned was spoken by the Lord Krishna himself.
Just to add few more,

* Avadhuta Gita, Avadhuta Gita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

* Ishwar Gita (Taken From Kurma Puran, First 11 Chapter Of Uttar Vibhag)

* Kapil Gita (Taken From Srimad Bhagwatam Chapter 23 To 33 , Canto 3) Sri Kapil Gita

* Ganesh Gita (Taken From Ganesh Puran Krida Khanda , Chapter 138 to 148 , Close To Bhagwat Gita) Ganesha Purana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

* Devi Gita (Taken From Devi Bhagwat Chapter 31 to 40 Canto 7) The Devi Gita index

* Parashar Gita (Taken From Mahabharat Moksha Parva As A Part Of Shanti Parva)

* Pandav Gita (Taken From Mahabharat) Welcome to Gita Press

* Pingal Gita (Taken From Mahabharat Moksha Parva As A Part Of Shanti Parva)

* Bhrama Gita (Taken From Skanda Puran Chapter 4 Of Suta Samhita and First 12 chapters of Yagya-Abhi-Bhava Khand , Another version with the same name available in Yoga-vashistha in later part of Nirvana Portion Sarga 173 through 181.) http://sanskritdocuments.org/all_pdf/brahmagiitaaskanda.pdf

* Brahamana Gita (Part Of Anu Gita)

* Yam Gita (Three Types a. Third Canto Vishnu Puran Upto Chapter 7, b. Third Canto Agni Puran Chapter 381, c. Chapter 8 Narsingh Puran)

* Ram Gita (Taken From Bhramanand Puran, 5 th Sarga Of Uttar Khand adhyat-maram-ayana)

* Vyas Gita (From Kurma Puran, 12 Chapter Onward of Uttar-Vibhag)

* Shiv Gita (Taken From Padam Puran Patal Khanda)

* Ribhu Gita Shivarahasya Purana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia , Ribhu Gita - HermeticSource.info

* Rudra Gita (The Rudra-Gita is contained in Slokas 16-79 of chapter 24 of Skandha IV of Srimad Bhagavata, and chapters 70-72 of Varaha-purana.)

* Guru Gita In the final verse of the Guru Gita Lord Shiva says to Parvati that he will tell her a Secret Mantra, http://www.santhigiri.org/chapter1.html

* Soot Gita ( Taken From Skanda Purana Chapter 13 to 20 onwards Yagya-vaibhava-khanda )

* Hari Gita (Taken From Mahabharat Moksha Parva as a part of Shanti Parva Same As Bhagwat Gita Chapter 346 Shloka 10 by Narad)

* Hans Gita ( Taken From Srimad Bhagwatam Chapter 13 Canto 11) Hindi Book-Hans Geeta.pdf : Hindi Book-Hans Geeta.pdf : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

* Rudra Gita (Taken From Srimad Bhagwatam Chapter 24 Canto 4 Shloka 24 to 79) Srimad Bhagavatam

* Uttar Gita ( Taken From Mahabharat) hare-krishna-forum[/COLOR]/494337-uttara-gita.html"]http://www.indiadivine.org/audarya/hare-krishna-forum/494337-uttara-gita.html

* Anu Gita Anugita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are nearly more than 36 different 'Gita', but mainly as I said only two, which are spoken by The Lord Krishna, Himself.

GPM

Tihar Jail
Banned
Desai maybe an eminent economist. So far so good. He should remain there. He is no Hindu philosopher. Period.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles