Democracy is Bad for US Foreign Policy

ejazr

Ambassador
How is democracy to arrive in the Arab world?

Last week I attended a conference on the status of freedom of expression and the press in the world organized by UNESCO in Paris. One of the speakers was Palestinian journalist Khaled Abu Aker, director of the Arab Media Internet Network (www.amin.org).

In his address Abu Aker emphasized that the arrival at the end of the 1990s of the Internet and the Al Jazeera satellite television broadcasting from Qatar constituted nothing less than a revolution for the Arab world. He pointed to the fact that the recent uprisings against autocratic regimes that have evoked hopes for the arrival of democracy in the Arab world are largely due to the new media, which have empowered people to freely communicate and overcome censorship.

The popular uprisings in Tunisia and Egypt have triggered a debate on why autocratic regimes prevail in the Arab world and how are they to be dismantled. The fact is that, aside from Lebanon prior to the civil war that erupted in 1975, a democratic regime has never existed in the16 states with predominantly Arab populations. Why? The best analysis to my knowledge in this context is provided by the prominent American political scientist Larry Diamond in an article published a year ago titled "Why are there no Arab democracies?" (Journal of Democracy, Vol. 21, No. 1, January 2010).

According to Diamond the lack of democratic regimes in the Arab world cannot be explained by the prevailing religion -- that is, Islam -- because there are basically democratic states (like Turkey, Bangladesh, Albania, Senegal and Malaysia) among Muslim-majority countries. Neither can it be explained by the prevailing political culture in the Arab countries because surveys indicate that the support for political freedom and democracy is very broad among Arab peoples and does not vary by degree of religiosity. Poverty fails to provide an explanation since most Arab countries are quite well-to-do in terms of per-capita income, and many countries with similar levels of income have democratic regimes.

It is thus clear that lack of democratic regimes in the Arab world needs to be explained by factors other than those discussed above. One such factor may be that which is referred to as the "oil curse." Eleven out of 16 Arab-majority countries derive the major part (between 70 to 90 percent) of their revenue from oil and gas. (There are no democracies among the 23 countries that have oil and gas as their main source of income.) Unearned income from oil and gas does not only discourage investments and thus hinders overall socio-economic development, it also enables the states involved to provide a minimum standard of living to citizens without taxing them, and thereby avoid demands for representation.

Oil and gas rents also enable the state to develop highly repressive secret police and intelligence apparatuses. Autocratic Arab states are world leaders in terms of the proportion of gross national product (GNP) spent on "security." They do not, however, rely only on repression. In countries like Egypt, Algeria, Morocco, Jordan and Kuwait, representative mechanisms including manipulated elections are also used to perpetuate the regime.

The major external factor that helps autocratic Arab regimes survive is the foreign aid they receive -- previously from the Soviet Union, and since the end of the Cold War from the United States and its European allies -- in terms of economic resources, security assistance and political legitimacy. Another external factor is the Arab-Israeli conflict, which helps the autocratic states to divert public frustration away from the corrupt and repressive regime. Yet another external factor is the solidarity among autocratic regimes. Such solidarity has turned the 22-member Arab League into what Diamond calls an "unapologetic autocrats' club."

Is the Arab world doomed to live with autocracies? Diamond argues that three things may change the fate of the Arab world: 1) The emergence of a single democratic regime (possibly in Iraq or Egypt) that may be seen as a model for the region. 2) A change in US policy from that of supporting autocracies to that of encouraging democratization. In this context, Diamond points to the necessity for the US and its European allies to engage with Islamist opponents of autocracies willing to commit themselves to liberal democratic norms. 3) The halving of world oil and gas prices with the advent of sustainable energy technologies.

Larry Diamond's analysis, summarized above, does indeed provide a framework for understanding the durability of the autocratic Arab regimes. It also provides clues as to how these regimes are likely to be dismantled. But it neglects an external (turned internal) factor that may prove to be the main dynamic that is to disintegrate the autocracies. And that factor seems to be the one emphasized by the Palestinian journalist Abu Aker referred to above: the consequences of the communications revolution brought about by the web and satellite television.

mattster

Respected Member
Country flag
Ejazr.....I'm sorry, but I just dont buy your premise, or that of Larry Diamond. Of the list of 5 countries that Larry Diamond listed as democracies. Albania has a 30 % non-Muslim population.

Malaysia at its independence in 1957 was 50% Muslim and 50% non-Muslim. Today those numbers have changed to 65% muslim 35%. I can tell you for a fact that it is the non-Muslim population in Malaysia that was primarily responsible and still plays a major role in making Malaysia one of the few Muslim countries that are not a basket case.
Malaysia would be nothing were it not for the contribution of the Indian and Chinese Malaysians. More Malaysian Indians and Chinese died fighting the Japs in WW2 than Malay Muslims.

As for Turkey - this is probably the most advanced Muslim country and it has been held together by the military leaders who whacked the religious leaders every chance they got. Edrogan is the first non-military leader they have had in ages. The military in Turkey is very anti-religion.

As for Indonesia Sukarno was as bad as Suharto - Indonesia is a democracy in name only.
In reality, Indonesia is the most accurate definition of the word - Banana Republic.

It is not just limited to Arab countries. Take Bangladesh for example - I would challenge any Muslim in India to trade places with a Hindu in Bangladesh or Pakistan. Out of the 150 million muslims in India - I dont think you will get a single person to take that bet !!

My point is simply this - there is something fundamentally wrong with Muslim societies - both Arab and non-Arab. Their lack of tolerance, and respect for basic human rights, and minority rights is very obvious.

BTW: I am not trying to turn this into a "bash muslims" thread. But unless Muslims themselves are cognizant and acknowledge something is terribly wrong - nothing will change.

Last edited:

JBH22

My point is simply this - there is something fundamentally wrong with Muslim societies - both Arab and non-Arab. Their lack of tolerance, and respect for basic human rights, and minority rights is very obvious.
x2 first i would say their elite don't let them educate so as to question their leadership its purposely done and the blame is put on the west but then if the situation is like that its because it suits the system.There's one video Hassan Nissar explains that but as usual he's label as CIA agent,traitor etc

Hasan Nisar: Myth of Islamic Civilization

Last edited by a moderator:

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
Ejazr.....I'm sorry, but I just dont buy your premise, or that of Larry Diamond. Of the list of 5 countries that Larry Diamond listed as democracies. Albania has a 30 % non-Muslim population.

Malaysia at its independence in 1957 was 50% Muslim and 50% non-Muslim. Today those numbers have changed to 65% muslim 35%. I can tell you for a fact that it is the non-Muslim population in Malaysia that was primarily responsible and still plays a major role in making Malaysia one of the few Muslim countries that are not a basket case.
Malaysia would be nothing were it not for the contribution of the Indian and Chinese Malaysians. More Malaysian Indians and Chinese died fighting the Japs in WW2 than Malay Muslims.

As for Turkey - this is probably the most advanced Muslim country and it has been held together by the military leaders who whacked the religious leaders every chance they got. Edrogan is the first non-military leader they have had in ages. The military in Turkey is very anti-religion.

As for Indonesia Sukarno was as bad as Suharto - Indonesia is a democracy in name only.
In reality, Indonesia is the most accurate definition of the word - Banana Republic.

It is not just limited to Arab countries. Take Bangladesh for example - I would challenge any Muslim in India to trade places with a Hindu in Bangladesh or Pakistan. Out of the 150 million muslims in India - I dont think you will get a single person to take that bet !!

BTW: I am trying to turn this into a "bash muslims" thread. But unless Muslims themselves are cognizant and acknowledge something is terribly wrong - nothing will change.
Have to agree with the Malaysian example. The Malaysian economy is controlled by the Chinese Malaysians, not the ethnic Malays. Plus not too long ago Singapore was part of the Malaysian union, but due to their discriminatory (Bumiputra, Muslim) policies they broke off. Today Singapore has a per capita income of $50k (Malaysia $11k and only because of the Chinese)

Plus it's constitution is quite discriminatory, here's what I found on pakteahouse

http://pakteahouse.net/2010/12/28/malaysian-and-pakistani-theocracies/
o start with, only the Shafi brand of Sunni Islam is recognised as Islam in Malaysia. Minority sects, especially the Shia Muslims, are persecuted and driven underground. Shia Islam is banned by law and only recently a group of Shia mourners were rounded up by the police for practising their faith. Malaysia is as theocratic as a theocracy can be

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles