Delhi CWG 2010 (3-14Oct): 9 Australian athelets caught doping

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
if such a thing is there i am surprised why such a thing.

and its not only them, the other day post the closing ceremony i checked out the bbc and as expected they were discussing the CC but the real focus was not how successfully india had pulled out the games and the indian performance but the abject poverty our country faces and the person lecturing that was pradeep magazine where he was trying to highlight india had got its priorities wrong, and its not just one pradeep that we have in our country.

now look at this video. the theme is to capture the visit of athletes to the taj mahal but look at the images captured on way to agra, one wonders what the real intent was?

RT,
This is well thought out plan of west that they employ their stooges from indian society like Pankaj Mishra,Pradeep,Arundhati ray etc to write about india in their journals demeaning.And these people gladly writes coz.......

Many Indian scholars in the humanities, journalists, and 'intellectuals' in Non-Government Organizations depend on Western funding, Western sponsored foreign travel, acquiring legitimacy in the eyes of Western institutions, the ability to parrot canned Western 'theories,' and even identifying as a member of the Western Grand Narrative – not as options but as necessary conditions for success. Clearly, such loyalties, identities and ideologies must resonate with their sponsors.

Following thread will give tou detail perspective of this mindset of west and their indian stooges in india....

Does South Asian Studies Undermine India?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Don't forget the hero, Harsh Mander!

RAM

The southern Man
Country flag
And the medal progress tooo..

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
This is fine Hit Aussies where it hurts.press their raw nerve in sporting event like india does in cricket..Poornia must not tempt to stupid challenge of the aussie.if she was so good she would have partici[pated in delhi.Let her come to india and compete first.

Samuels to meet Indian champion in showdown

Daniel Lane
October 17, 2010
AUSTRALIA'S Dani Samuels will challenge Commonwealth Games discus champion Krishna Poonia to a lucrative winner-takes-all contest.

The challenge follows Poonia's pre-Games insinuation that Samuels's ''poor form'' was the real reason the world champion did not compete at Delhi.

Samuels's concerns about her health and safety were behind her decision to withdraw, but Poonia told Indian reporters the Australian hadn't performed well during the European summer.

Advertisement: Story continues below
While her comments were dismissed by Samuels's coach Denis Knowles as a misrepresentation, Poonia laid the foundation for a battle royale. The event would be tailor-made for Indian television as a result of Poonia's new-found star status after she won her country's first Commonwealth Games athletics gold medal in 52 years.

''It could be enormous,'' said Samuels's manager, Hayden Knowles. ''It could be like a boxing match. The Indian girl started it in the press, the Australian wants quality competition. The great thing is there's no need to generate hype, it's there and it's real.

''A sponsor has offered $20,000 winner-takes-all, making it the biggest cash prize for a discus event in the world. The prestigious Diamond League offers $10,000 prizemoney, well we've doubled that to give Poonia her shot at the champ.''

Knowles said Samuels did not regret her decision to withdraw from the Games, and added her support crew stood behind her choice.

''However, Poonia heated things up by basically bagging Dani to a billion Indians,'' Knowles said. ''Dani has said nothing to suggest she disrespects the Indian girl, indeed she's maintaining the same integrity, honesty and grace she displayed when she announced the tough decision to not compete in the Commonwealth Games.

''While Poonia would be guaranteed the same star treatment Usain Bolt enjoyed while he was here for us at last month's All Stars, Poonia's comments offended a sponsor to the extent he's offered big money to bring her here.''

Knowles said Sydney Olympic Park's world-class athletic centre would host the event and he would appoint an agent to secure Indian television coverage of the duel.

Poonia's throw of 61.51 metres not only made her the first Indian track-and-field athlete to win a Commonwealth gold medal in more than half a century but it allowed India a rare clean sweep in a major athletics event, with Harwant Kaur and Seema Antil taking the minor placings.

Rage

DFI TEAM
This is the 4x100m.

Last edited by a moderator:

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
pak hockey team looking for scapegoat for the loss against india i.e. crowd.How about the rousing welcome they got from the crowd.

Crowd in India during CWG was abusive: Pak hockey captain

KARACHI: The Pakistan Hockey Federation and national captain Zeeshan Ashraf feel one reason for the team's poor Commonwealth Games performance was the crowd behaviour in Delhi which has become "abusive" after the Mumbai terror attacks.

PHF secretary Asif Bajwa said the feedback he had got from the team was that the players were subjected to more abuse and insults then they were used to facing by Indian spectators before the Mumbai terror attacks in 2008.

"It is now more difficult for our players when they play in India and there is more pressure on them because of the treatment they get from the spectators," he said.

Bajwa was manager of the Pakistan team that finished 12th in the World Cup held in New Delhi earlier this year and was removed from the manager's post as a result of the poor show.

In the Commonwealth Games, Pakistan finished sixth in the hockey event.

Bajwa said players had told him about the pressures they faced in the Commonwealth Games because of the crowd behaviour.

"It is disappointing for this to happen. I am not making excuses for our team losing to India but there is greater pressure on them now," he added.

Ashraf said the players came in for some "strong insults and at times even abusive language when they played in the Commonwealth Games."

"It was a bit too much for the players the way the spectators kept away at us and reminding us we were Pakistanis," he said.

"Certainly it seems after the Mumbai incident the spectators try to make life difficult for us whenever we play in India. It happened to us throughout the Commonwealth Games which is unfortunate because sports is sports," Ashraf said.

Pakistan were beaten by India in both the World Cup and Commonwealth Games.

Ashraf, however, maintained that his team didn't play badly in the Games.

"We fought hard against champions Australia losing by just one goal and if you see India lost to them by eight goals. I am sure in the Asian Games our players will give a much more improved performance," he said.

Next Year's Champions Trophy hockey is also planned in India with the FIH agreeing to give wild card entries to Pakistan and India for the competition.

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
'The Federation and army played a big role in my success'

The Indian Army's sole role over the years is guarding the country. Now it has undertaken another task -- producing Olympic champions. It aims to achieve this though its new talent-generating programme -- 'Mission Olympics'. Harish Kotian reveals the details.

The Indian Army's sole role over the years is guarding the country. Now it has added responsibility -- producing Olympic champions.

And one major sport where it is already making its presence felt strongly is shooting.

- The Commonwealth Games 2010

Indian shooters enjoyed a golden run at the 2010 Commonwealth Games in Delhi, with as many as seven gold medals coming from the sport.

Nine shooters from the army participated in the Delhi Games and they ended up with nine medals, including two silver.

In fact, the army sportspersons' success was not just limited to shooting. The defence guys also excelled in wrestling, archery and weightlifting.

Vijay Kumar was the army's star athlete, winning three gold medals and a silver. He emerged triumphant in the 25 metres Rapid Fire Pistol event after combining with fellow-soldier Gurpreet Singh to claim gold in the same event of the pairs category and 25m centre fire pistol pairs.

Vijay was quick to point out that had it not been for the army, he would never have been the world class shooter he is today.

"Basically, I am employed with the Indian army. They are taking care of my armoury and have also been training me; plus, I also have a personal coach. The federation, my family and the army have played a big role in my gold medal. The shooting ranges that we have got for practice are world class," the shooter told rediff.com.

Gurpreet also won the gold in the Pairs 10m Air Pistol event with Omkar Singh.
Imran Khan also proved his time spent at the army academy in Mhow, Madhya Pradesh, turned him into a world-class shooter, having clinched gold in the Pairs 50m Rifle 3 Position with ace shooter Gagan Narang.

Imran wasted no time in giving the Indian army due credit for his gold medal.

"I want to dedicate my gold medal to the army and SAI, because for the last two years they have given me everything I could ask for," he said.He revealed how, since joining the army in 2000, life changed for the better.

"I joined the army in 2000. The moment I joined I was called up to the Army Institute in Mhow, where my life took a new turn. Before that I could never think of taking up shooting, because I didn't have the money to buy the equipment needed," he added.

The ace marksman revealed how he nearly gave up shooting due to lack of funding, before the army provided him a lifeline.

"I used to shoot with a very old pistol in Bareilly, in Uttar Pradesh. That time I didn't have the required facilities and coaching, so my career didn't get the required boost. But after joining the army, I got everything from them, including practice facilities, new weapons, and money. So that changed my life and career completely.

"I had joined the army basically for a living, but then I saw they were encouraging sports, so I took up shooting and after that things happened instantly. I underwent nine months of training in the army before I took up sports. We had good coaches who helped us a lot and we also worked hard so we started improving rapidly," Imran added.

Lieutenant General Ramesh Halgali revealed that the Indian army invested heavily in the shooters and the results are showing.

"I think the performance of the army shooting team has been exceptionally good. It is because of the unstinted training and support that we have provided our shooters. We have the Mission Olympics program, and at Mhow we have the Army Marksman Unit. All our shooters are given upgraded equipments, good facilities and motivation. I think it is a matter of pride for the Indian army that each year our shooters perform at national and international levels and their performances have been exceptionally outstanding," Halgali said.

- Coutts and Narang 'Queen and King of the Games'

Halgali, who is also the director general of military training, also delved on the Indian army's sport-specific programme called the Mission Olympics.

"Mission Olympics is an event that was started a few years ago. It is run by the Indian army where in we choose the youngest of our soldiers. We catch them young. We pick them from various places and bring them to these five nodes that we have in the army. In each node we train them with state of the art equipment. We continuously give them facilities and promote them and the results are before you," he said.

"We start with age group of 14 years and train them till their 20. So it is six years of hard practice that we give the youngsters. The Mission Olympics wing has brought outstanding results for our country," Halgali added.

Captain Srinivas Rao, who is the officer-in-charge for the Mission Olympics, also gave out more details on the program.

"It is a very important as far as the Indian army is concerned because we are looking to produce Olympic champions.

"We provide training in every kind of sport and we have some of the best coaches from India and abroad. The shooters train at the shooting ranges in Mhow, while sportsmen from the field of athletics, wrestling, boxing, weightlifting, diving and archery receive training at the Army Sports Institute in Pune."

He further pointed out that Mission Olympics started in 2001, but it became fully functional only in 2005, and since then a lot of athletes have come and improved.

The Army Sports Institute website also throws light on what exactly is the programme about and how it is looking to produce future champions.

"India appears to have all the advantages required for sporting excellence -- a billion strong population, varied genetic make-up and an aptitude to excel. In spite of this, India's showing at the Olympics has been rather dismal. The Chief of Army Staff conceived the Mission Olympics Program to correct this anomaly and decided to tap the vast and varied talent pool, physical fitness, dedication and discipline of the Army. A panel of experts identified eleven sports on which to focus and excel.

"The Army Sports Institute is a unique, multi-disciplinary Sports Institute. It provides world class training infrastructure, internationally renowned foreign and Indian coaches, the best equipment and excellent boarding and lodging facilities rounded off by comprehensive Sports Sciences back up. The Army Sports Institute endeavors to be the best sports training facility in the country and is the destination of choice for a sportsman with the ability and dedication to win an Olympic Medal," says the website (www.armysports.info).

Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore showed that the army is capable of producing Olympic champions with his silver medal at Athens in 2004. And one is sure that in the next Games, in London in 2012, and in the ones after that, the army's contribution will bear fruit.

A look at the Indian army's medal winners at the 2010 Commonwealth Games:

Archery (2 silver, 1 bronze)

Sports cadet Jignesh Chittiboma 1 silver

Havaldar Chinna Raju Srither 1 silver

Subhedar Tarundeep Roy 1 bronze

Athletics (2 bronze)

Havaldar Kashinath Naik - 1 bronze

Havaldar Harminder Singh - 1 bronze

Boxing (No medals)

Shooting (7 gold, 2 silver)

Subhedar Vijay Kumar 3 golds, 1 silver

Subhedar Imran Khan 1 gold

Havaldar Gurpreet Singh 2 golds, 1 silver

Subhedar Vijay Kumar 1 gold

Weightlifting (1 gold, 1 silver, 1 bronze)

Havaldar Ravi Kumar 1 gold

Havaldar Sukhen Dey 1 silver

Havaldar VS Rao 1 bronze

Wrestling (2 silver)

Subhedar Manoj Kumar 1 silver

Havaldar Sunil Kumar 1 silver

Pintu

http://www.expressindia.com/latest-news/Aus-athletes-caught-doping-during-Commonwealth-Games/701451/

Aus athletes caught doping during Commonwealth Games

Agencies
Posted: Oct 23, 2010 at 1014 hrs IST

Melbourne Nine Australian athletes have tested positive for banned stimulant methylhexaneamine and some of them could be from the Commonwealth Games squads.

The authorities have not revealed the identity of the athletes but they did not rule out CWG athletes as being among those who returned positive tests, a media report claimed.

"It is believed NRL and AFL players may have also been among those who tested positive in what could become Australia\'s biggest doping scandal," a report in the \'Daily Telegraph\' said.

According to the report, the testing period is believed to have covered this year\'s NRL and AFL grand finals and pre and post-Commonwealth Games periods but not the 10 days of Games competition, which was covered by international anti-doping authorities.

The positive results prompted the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority to take the extraordinary measure of sending an urgent warning to all Australian athletes about inadvertent use of the substance.

"With the spike in the number of positive test results for methylhexaneamine in Australia, we are warning athletes to take extreme caution and double check the contents of any supplements and other products they use," ASADA CEO Aurora Andruska said.

Federal Sports Minister Mark Arbib has also urged athletes to take extra precautions.

"We are warning athletes to take extreme caution and double check the contents of any supplements they use," he was quoted as saying in the report.

Nigerian runner Osayomi Oludamola was tripped off her Commonwealth Games gold medal for testing positive for the same substance.

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
Oz mission pays damages for Commonwealth Games Village vandalism

The Australian mission at Commonwealth Games has paid Rs 10,000 as damages for the vandalism of some members of its squad who threw down a washing machine from the seventh floor of a Games Village apartment.

The alcohol-fuelled vandalism, first reported by TOI, could have taken a fatal turn if the machine had struck someone and led to condemnation of the behaviour of Aussie athletes concerned though no formal complaint was lodged. The amount paid covers the cost of the washing machine. No fine was imposed.

Australian squad were involved in at least two other incidents of overly boisterous behaviour in the dining area and on one occasion were led away by their managers.

SHASH2K2

Tharoor back in news over payment of money by Games OC

Former union minister Shashi Tharoor is back in the news over payment of money by the Organising Committee of the Commonwealth Games for consultancy services. Tharoor on Sunday described the reports as "malicious", saying that he was "officially, formally and legally paid" for the services rendered

by him when he was not in public life. He also said that he legally retained his foreign bank accounts as all former NRIs were entitled to do under RBI rules and that there was no impropriety in doing so.
Meanwhile, sources in the CAG, which has sent an audit memo to the CWG Organising Committee, said there have been findings that Tharoor had been paid.
"But the payment is not illegal as it was due to him as part of the consultation fee. We have mentioned it in the audit memo sent to the OC. The final report is yet to be finalised," the CAG sources said.
In a statement, Tharoor, who had to resign as union minister following a controversy over Kochi IPL ownership last year, said the consultancy services were rendered between September 2008 and January 2009 during a period well before he entered public life and when he had no relationship with the government.
"The consultancy fee charged was a token sum, and the total sum paid (USD 30,000 less taxes) was far below the fee that I used to command even just to make a single speech," the Lok Sabha MP from Kerala said.
He said he worked as an independent consultant out of New York supporting the CWG for which "I was officially, formally and legally paid".
Tharoor said, "Following my move to India and my entry into public life here, I closed my old office and discontinued any and all remunerative activities related to government institutions."
He said, "I did not approach the CWG but they sought me out in order to have me lend my stature to the promotion of the event. I was a consultant for a national and international engagement and promotion of the Commonwealth Youth Games, not the CWG itself."
He maintained that he donated a considerable portion of his time and effort including on occasions "using his personal travel".
Tharoor said he attended preparatory meetings and the CWYG itself and addressed various audiences in support of these games, including the assembled athletes from around the world in Pune on the eve of the CWYG
"In other words, there is nothing illegal, unethical, immoral or improper about my having rendered paid services to a nationally-supported international endeavour," he added.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles