Defence Food Research Laboratory cooks treat for jawans

swag5

Mysore-based Defence Food Research Laboratory (DFRL), which has been involvedin developing food products for the army and paramilitary, will dish out a new menufor jawans every day.
"We are in the process of developing seven meals ready-to-eat (MRE) for soldiers and paramilitary troops to consume in a week.Some new food products have been developed and a few are awaiting trials," director of DFRL AS Bawa said. One MRE consists of rice, chapatis, veg or non-veg curry, sweet and tea.
"The idea is to break the monotony and serve them different food seven days a week," Bawa said. In addition to MREs and ration supplied to the army and paramilitary forces, DFRL is preparing anti-depressant bars for jawans so that they do not experience mental agony due to monotony in the line of duty while serving in forward locations.
http://www.dnaindia.com/india/report_defence-food-research-laboratory-cooks-treat-for-jawans_1510762

pmaitra

It would be nice to learn about and see pictures of the food jawans eat at inhospitable places. Two examples would be the Siachen Glacier and Nathu-La Pass. I heard they get a generous supply of chocolates and alcohol, but then it is what I just heard from people and do not know if true.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
MRE is only for emergency.

In stormy weather, any port will do!

The chocolates are as hard as bricks!

Alcohol is not a part of it and there is no Free Issues these days. Cash (paltry) in lieu for troops. I wish it were as per the way petrol is priced - international rates as per fluctuations! :)

The difference from the earlier Compo (Composite) Rations is that it has been Indianised or should I say North Indianised!

I believe many of the instant food available commercially are because of the work done in the DRL.

Last edited:

swag5

Even i have heard that soldiers in siachin have their food rarely..but the truth yet to reveal...life at siachin is out of our imaginations..we should be proud of the soldiers everyday..

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Ray Sir, this might sound like a silly question, but did you mean port wine? Or was it figurative?
It is a naughty saying in the navy!

Swag5

The food and rations are quite good in the Siachen, but the High Altitude cuts down the appetite. In fact, one just does not feel like eating!!

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles