Defence deals stuck due to lobbying, says Parrikar

AVERAGE INDIAN

EXORCIST
Country flag
Panaji: Defence minister Manohar Parrikar on Wednesday said most defence deals are stuck because of lobbying, vested interests, and kickbacks that happened during the last 10 years of Congress rule at the Centre. He said his priority is to clear the controversy and speed up acquisition in a transparent manner.

"My target is to clear all weapons purchase deals one by one on a priority basis, beginning next week," said the country's new defence minister, adding that he will also strengthen the army's fighting capability, logistics, and infrastructure. He further said he will strengthen the armed forces with pre-emptive measures that discourage cross-border firing on the line of control.

He said India need not worry about Pakistan or China or any other country as the country's defences are strong.

Speaking to party workers on his maiden visit to Goa after being sworn into the Union Cabinet, he said that after being extensively briefed over the last two days, he has realized that India has no need to worry about any other country.

Parrikar, who is on a five day visit to Goa, told mediapersons that everybody knows what happened in the AgustaWestland VVIP chopper deal and there was a question mark raised on the acquisition of fighter aircraft for the Indian Air Force (IAF). He refused to elaborate on the fighter aircraft deal.

"Most (defence) acquisitions made have some controversy. I don't want to go into the details, but my job is to clear the controversy," he said, adding that the more you go in for tightening on corruption, the more you raise the question, and the deals get more complex, and one should adopt a transparent method where no questions are raised.

Asked to react on incursions in Arunachal Pradesh by the Chinese military, Parrikar said this type of incursion and crossing the imaginary line of control happens many times in many sectors, but it is taken care of on the same day or within a couple of days. "Except on one or two occasions, there has been no serious incident." He added the ministry will take steps to avoid such incidents in the future.

He said he will look at the country being able to produce indigenous weapons based on Prime Minister Narendra Modi's 'make in India' concept. He also said that revamping of the DRDO is on the cards, but "as of now I have not taken any decision. Right now, I want them to perform". He further said the ministry will concentrate on improving training capacity, and filling up vacancies of officers in the army.

Parrikar was given a rousing welcome at the Dabolim airport by Goa chief minister Laxmikant Parsekar and the state cabinet.

Defence deals stuck due to lobbying, says Parrikar - The Times of India

AVERAGE INDIAN

EXORCIST
Country flag
Defence deals were delayed due to lobbying, vested interest and kickbacks: Manohar Parrikar

New Delhi: Calling the Chinese intrusions into Indian territory minor incidents, the newly-appointed Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar on Wednesday said that the government is tackling them on day-to-day basis.

"The intrusions by Chinese troops into Arunachal Pradesh are minor incidents. We are handling them on daily basis," PTI quoted him as saying.

Hinting at shortcoming of the previous UPA government while handling defence deals, Parrikar said the majority of such deals are stuck up due to lobbying, vested interest and kickbacks.

He further added that India does not need to worry about either Pakistan or China, but has to focus on its defence capabilities.

"I've been bestowed with the responsibility to take care of defence forces' needs. I'll make sure that all the defence deals, which are needed on priority, are fast-tracked," said he.

Soon after taking charge of Defence Ministry on November 09, 2014, Parrikar had assured that there will be transparency and speedy acquisition of critical equipment.

Defence deals were delayed due to lobbying, vested interest and kickbacks: Manohar Parrikar | Zee News

sgarg

The foreign countries always had influence at a political level in India but the influence on defence services is a rather new thing which is a result of greater exposure of services to the world. The military cooperation between different countries has brought positive as well as negative results.

I think the biggest mistake has been tendering. Tendering has failed in past and will fail in future. Indian system of tendering is prone to manipulation. It is suitable only for commercial items where competition is fierce. Tendering does not work well when suppliers are limited and where political considerations often decide the outcome.

For fighter aircrafts, warships etc, tendering is completely illogical.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles