Defective T-72 Tanks

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
I think the ideal replacement for the T-72 tank is the Anders light Tank from Poland, it is light, has a great interior design and could pack a mean punch. Light enough to be carried on the C-17 deployed quickly, may be even 2 can be carried on the C-17 depending on the weight.

I wonder what happened to this since it was going to be made in India by BEML. I think we can buy out the TOT and tweak it for ours needs, 2000 of these would be nice addition. 1500 Anders, 1500 T-90s upgraded to M standards and 3000 Arjuns in Mk-2/3s should be an ideal tank force.
Well when India needs replacement then it should be considered. That I think is 15 years away.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
t-72 served in indian army as a main battle tank and not a light tank.hence it's replacement should be a main battle tank like succesive versions of arjun and not a light tank.it has taken more than 30 years for drdo to indegeneously design and manufacture a tank and after all this we should not go for imports.Drdo has already amufactured a light tank by fitting a 105mm gun to a bmp chassis.What they can do is place a 120mm gun operated by a remote controlled unmanned turret on a ficv platform which is going to be manufactured by private sector and we get a light tank which can perform well in our northern border.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
IMHO replace current T-72s with the current T-90s... Replace the current T-90s with Arjun MkII... Once Arjun MkIII goes live, then replace all T-90s with it.

kshkumsin

I think the ideal replacement for the T-72 tank is the Anders light Tank from Poland, it is light, has a great interior design and could pack a mean punch. Light enough to be carried on the C-17 deployed quickly, may be even 2 can be carried on the C-17 depending on the weight.

I wonder what happened to this since it was going to be made in India by BEML. I think we can buy out the TOT and tweak it for ours needs, 2000 of these would be nice addition. 1500 Anders, 1500 T-90s upgraded to M standards and 3000 Arjuns in Mk-2/3s should be an ideal tank force.

The Anders is also the ideal design for Namica, Akash launcher, IFV, perhaps an Indian version of Pantsir etc.
how can a tank be replaced by that vehicle.it is more idle for replacement of a portion of bmps

Immanuel

Country flag
how can a tank be replaced by that vehicle.it is more idle for replacement of a portion of bmps
It does seem to have better armor and put in an active protection system and that 120mm canon, its good enough to replace the T-72. Love the interior, has the interior of a Rolls royce by tank standards.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Anders is good for mountains not a replacement of T-72M1, APS and ERA are short term defenses dont work in long run ..

On other hand If unmanned turret is married with Arjun`s MK-2 Chassis, It will be a Good concept..

@sayareakd Sir

It does seem to have better armor and put in an active protection system and that 120mm canon, its good enough to replace the T-72. Love the interior, has the interior of a Rolls royce by tank standards.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
IMHO replace current T-72s with the current T-90s... Replace the current T-90s with Arjun MkII... Once Arjun MkIII goes live, then replace all T-90s with it.
Just keep replacing tanks and be happy....

At what cost ?

Tank is not a weapon plateform. It is a system. You replace tank and you got to replace everything associated with it..

It is high time India freezes its tank specifications and designs once for all.... and be done with Tank.

Aur bhi gam hain jamane men Tainkon ke siwaya ......

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
I think you might have misunderstood me... If you think about it, this would raise the least amount of logistic challenges.

Just keep replacing tanks and be happy....

At what cost ?

Tank is not a weapon plateform. It is a system. You replace tank and you got to replace everything associated with it..

It is high time India freezes its tank specifications and designs once for all.... and be done with Tank.

Aur bhi gam hain jamane men Tainkon ke siwaya ......

JBH22

A modernisation to the Rogatka package will keep these T-72 potent weapon system.

This tank has atleast 1 more decade in Indian army but it should be gradually complemented with Arjun Mk2 with the overall aim to replace it completely.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
You are seriously suggesting replacing an MBT with an overweight BMP that can be made swiss cheese by a Kord MG? The thing can't even take a 6kg mine under centreline. I wouldn't take that thing into Mali much less make it an MBT replacement. It is twice the weight of AMX-10RCR and half the protection = no thanks.

It never was...

The Anders is also the ideal design for Namica, Akash launcher, IFV, perhaps an Indian version of Pantsir etc.
It is a terrible chassis for any launcher = overweight and under-protected. You might as well use a BMP-2. :laugh:

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
The best replacement for T72s would be both T90s and arjuns .ie T90s work better than arjun in cold areas and arjuns out perform t90s in hot and dry areas.So it would be best to replace the T-72s in hot areas with arjuns and those in cold areas with T90s.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Can you tell why is that so ?

The best replacement for T72s would be both T90s and arjuns .ie T90s work better than arjun in cold areas and arjuns out perform t90s in hot and dry areas.So it would be best to replace the T-72s in hot areas with arjuns and those in cold areas with T90s.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
arjun mbt is superior to t-90 even in cold areas as in thar desert and plains of punjab and can function very well in tankable areas of ladakh and sikkim where indian army is inducting armoured regiments.it's just that arjun 67 ton weight can be a difficulty for the poor road conditions and shabby bridges to handle.but if arjun is transpoted by air(by c-17) then it can be inducted there also

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
Can you tell why is that so ?
My point is based on the various blogs {eg:broadsword}written by defence experts who says that T90s outperform arjuns in cold areas and arjuns outperform T90s in dry areas like rajasthan.Also the indian made t90s lag behind russian made T90s in quality due to poor quality control and material selection.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Arjun was made Indian specific that means it can take all kind of weather issues here, Arjun had issues in cold back as early 2005, Not now..

Indian T-90S are very different from Russian and about quality issue, Anything made in India has quality issue that is pre assumed fact taken by most people..

My point is based on the various blogs {eg:broadsword}written by defence experts who says that T90s outperform arjuns in cold areas and arjuns outperform T90s in dry areas like rajasthan.Also the indian made t90s lag behind russian made T90s in quality due to poor quality control and material selection.

Reactions: WMD

JBH22

Arjun was made Indian specific that means it can take all kind of weather issues here, Arjun had issues in cold back as early 2005, Not now..

Indian T-90S are very different from Russian and about quality issue, Anything made in India has quality issue that is pre assumed fact taken by most people..
Have we got a downgraded version of T-90 something like monkey models of T-72.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I have said nothing like that..

Actually we would have been as there were issues with TOT, So we use our own Arjun`s Kanchan Armour in our T-90 tanks..

Which is heavier consist of titanium alloy and boron carbide cremica and other components, Indian T-90S are much heavier than Russian T-90S, In terms of protection Indian T-90S ERA layout is better than Russian, Also Indian T-90S will be getting lots of electronic upgrade compares to Russian once..

Bottom line is that, Our T-90 tanks are good if not better than Russian T-90..

Have we got a downgraded version of T-90 something like monkey models of T-72.

Shirman

Country flag
Since i voted for a foreign import n the poll ask me to post a suggestion i would say unmanned polish Anders 120mm smoothbore light tank turret on arjun mk.1 tank.....For me its a single silver bullet that kills a host lot i guess 70% problems of IA tank units.....Plz... I am not trying to advertising polish defense industry here but for me Goin the Jordanian way ie :- Placing Falcon turret on board of Challenger 1 Chassis seems the most optimum solution to let say 70% of r problem..... And 2 things i would like 2 convey Indian Mod Hence Forth say
1). NO to ruski tanks as we have rich bad experience with T-72s n T-90s.....RUSKIES keep ur monkey models with ur self...............
2). retire T-90s as quickly as possible if ruskies don't give us permission 2 modernise ur tank fleet n produce unmanned arjuns to even replace them...........

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
@Austin,

T-90MS turret design is still flawed and there would be no correction, Indian T-90S with Kanchan Armour and with K5 ERA or in future advance Russian ERA or Indian heavy ERA can do the job..

Beside Indian T-90S are also getting the same electronic package as T-90MS, IMHO it would be a wrong decision..

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles