bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Last edited:

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
TAURUS cannot be sold to India outright due to MTCR regulations(though i have my doubts as TAURUS is not nuke capable AFAIK) , however we might see sweden offering the RBS 70-NG as a new generation MANPAD to the IA & the IAF.
Seems like they've sorted it out

"We have received a Request for Information (RFI) from the IAF for a stand-off long range missile from the IAF and we have offered the Taurus missiles as we feel that it meets all the desired requirements," Anders Axebark, the business development manager for the missile systems told a group of Indian journalists here.

The Taurus air-to-ground missiles are manufactured by the Germany-based Taurus Systems GmbH, which is a joint venture between MBDA and Swedish defence major Saab.
European missiles for India's Sukhois

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Sweden nothing, Taurus is 70% German. It isn't news except for the fact MKI handlers aren't happy with Brahmos in an air-launched land attack role. I only wonder if MBDA France hasn't been approached about Scalp EG as they are nearly the same once you cut down the range.
Source??. Air-launched Brahmos is not tested yet, so its silly to assume that MKI handlers have problems.

Galaxy

Country flag
MMRCA Commercial Bids Open Any Time Now

The two final commercial bids in the $12-billion Indian medium multirole combat aircraft (MMRCA) competition will be opened any day now by the Contract Negotiation Committee (CNC). A designated representative(s) from both finalists -- Dassault and Eurofighter -- will be invited to the Ministry of Defence, where they will be asked to physically authenticate their bid envelope before it is opened. According to procedure, the contents of both bids will be read out to all present and then signed by all members of the CNC. Any day now.

LIVEFIST

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
Powers of Deduction.. why else would they issue an RFI for new missiles?
To maximize their options - in case of a war, they would like to have multiple weapons and not just Brahmos? That way the non-Brahmos carrying su-30s can also be equipped with A2G missiles?

SPIEZ

Country flag
Powers of Deduction.. why else would they issue an RFI for new missiles?
IMHO, the Brahmos will only be carried by Su-30 MKI, other air-crafts wont be able to carry it. The TAURUS will be lighter in weight and can be carried by most air-crafts.

Also the Brahmos is expensive and a supersonic missile. In cases where they will be needing low flying subsonic cruise missiles they ll use the TAURUS.

But whatever happened to the Israeli developed HAVENAP/POPEYE missiles ????

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Popeye Lite is in service but Taurus have better specs..

SPIEZ

Country flag
Popeye Lite is in service but Taurus have better specs..
Sir, I read in a news article somewhere that, POPEYE can be produced in India itself(the article seems to be missing now). Is this true ?

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
If the L1 is going to win then no doubt Rafale is the winner 8)

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Sir, I read in a news article somewhere that, POPEYE can be produced in India itself(the article seems to be missing now). Is this true ?
I heard abt its Purchase but not Licensed Production..

If such thing happened we will see it in near future..

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
I dont know what GOI is going to do, MMS might want to go with more of EU countries, rather then with France alone. BTW we have given MM2K upgrade work to france therefore this might go other way. It is for the MMS and his security cabintate (CCS) to decided.

Immanuel

Country flag
Personally, i would rather we develop our own 500 km subsonic missile. Taurus is freaking expensive, too expensive for the huge number of targets we'll have to engage if we have to fight both china and Pak. What we need is an inexpensive subsonic missile with a range of 500km, with similar warhead capability as the Nirbhay which should be it's larger cousin, They should just scale down the current Nirbhay down to a smaller missile and you get a mini Nirbhay with the same 24 warhead capability and low weight. For the likes of our enemies, we'll need huge stock, a mini Nirbhay missile inventory of around 3000 missiles and another 2000 normal Nirbhays.

Nirbhay would have a range of around 1000km, weight is expected to be around 1200 to 1500 kg and is expected to be able to deploy 24 types of warheads. I am sure they have been working hard to keep the weight as well as the design as stealthy as possible. It should be fairly easily to take the same well researched design and turn it into a smaller cousin weighing around 700 to 900 kg with a range of around 500 km. the smaller missile should be easily deployable from the Mirage, FGFA, MKI, mig-29, LCA mk 2, Jaguars and off course MRCA.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles