Death toll from deadly heatwave crosses 700 in Pakistan

Blackwater

KARACHI: The prevailing heatwave in Karachi has left over 700 people dead in last three days, as per latest figures available on Tuesday evening.

Earlier, medics battled to treat victims after a state of emergency was declared in hospitals.

In Karachi, the Met department forecasts maximum temperatures to reach as high as 43 degrees Celsius over the next 24 hours, with chances of rain-thundershower and dust storm during the evening and night.

Eight to 10 people have also died in other parts of southern Sindh, senior provincial health official Sabir Memon told AFP earlier. ”More than 450 people have died due to heat stroke in the past three days.”

Read: PM orders emergency measures as death toll exceeds 425

Semi Jamali, a doctor at Jinnah Hospital said they had treated about 3,000 patients suffering from heat stroke.

More than 200 of them were either received dead or died in hospital,” Jamali told AFP. Another 67 people died in another hospital, the Civil Hospital, an official there said.

Read: Deadly heatwave shows no signs of easing as death toll climbs to 350 in Karachi

Edhi Welfare Organisation, said their two morgues in the city had received more than 400 corpses.

“More than 400 dead bodies have so far been received in our two mortuaries in past three days,” Edhi spokesperson Anwar Kazmi told AFP.

“The mortuaries have reached capacity.”o_Oo_O:cowboy::cool1::cool1:

http://tribune.com.pk/story/908310/death-toll-from-deadly-heatwave-surpasses-500/

Blackwater

In Karachi, electricity shortages crippled the water supply system, hampering the pumping of millions of gallons of water to consumers, the state-run water utility said.

Read: Energy management: PM Nawaz grills top bureaucrat over blackouts

Met Office said temperatures hit 43 Celsius in Karachi on Sunday and 49 Celsius in Turbat, close to the Iranian border.

Despite the increasing number of deaths being reported in the provincial capital, neither government officials nor any other organisation has made any arrangements for collecting and collating the data of the death toll.

Meanwhile, Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif issued directives to the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) to immediately take necessary measures to deal with the prevalent situation in Sindh, where the tenacious heat wave continues to claim lives. The NDMA chairman has asked the Karachi corps commander to assist the authority in this regard.

Read: A helping hand: Rangers establish Heatstroke Relief Centres in Karachi

On the other hand, the Provincial Disaster Management Authority (PDMA) of Sindh has requested the Pakistan Army and Pakistan Rangers to render all possible services and assistance to alleviate the suffering of the people.

Blackwater

according to pakis only people of india sleep on footpath.:shock::shock::shock:

Blackwater

No one, not even a Single Party come on the streets for 700 people ... but for Afia siddiqui , Malala , and democracy , people will come out in million ...
Damn this Nation is soul less creature ... and the govt is bloody blood thirsty animal ..

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

pmaitra

More people died in India due to heat wave. This is not an issue India can pontificate Pakistan about.

Reactions: Neo

Illusive

Country flag
RIP, subcontinent weather has been unpredictable lately and could get worse as the years pass by.
@musalman due you think under such horrid circumstances, people should observe fasting, i am sure if the clerics give a thumbs up lot of lives might be saved.

Blackwater

RIP, subcontinent weather has been unpredictable lately and could get worse as the years pass by.
@musalman due you think under such horrid circumstances, people should observe fasting, i am sure if the clerics give a thumbs up lot of lives might be saved.

Mullahs in Pakistan has appeal to people to break the fast . There is more people dying with fast than bomb blast

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
Mullahs in Pakistan has appeal to people to break the fast . There is more people dying with fast than bomb blast
After "fasting" Pakis get back to their tasks ie. Terrorism.

btw are all these death related to fasting or sheer heat? Perhaps it's another way to reach out Allah.

musalman

پاکستان زنده باد
Country flag
I am diabetic so I don't fast. I agree with what u are saying. Allah knows best

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Contrary to what foreign and pakmedia that their "load shedding" is one of main reasons for so many deaths. In andhra and Telangana there was no power cut this summer still so many deaths took place.

So power cuts cannot be described as a primary reason.

musalman

پاکستان زنده باد
Country flag
Contrary to what foreign and pakmedia that their "load shedding" is one of main reasons for so many deaths. In andhra and Telangana there was no power cut this summer still so many deaths took place.

So power cuts cannot be described as a primary reason.
I agree with u. Plus you get heat stroke when u r outside.
Futhermore as compared to last year when load shedding was 1 hour after every hour, its 1 hour after 3 hours this year.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
I agree with u. Plus you get heat stroke when u r outside.
Futhermore as compared to last year when load shedding was 1 hour after every hour, its 1 hour after 3 hours this year.
Let me get this straight, are you saying your power cuts are cyclic? By cyclic I mean repetitive. If so that must be a bummer.

Just curious, was it always like this. I am just trying to figure out which method is more beneficial for common people. Over here we may have 2 continuos hours once or twice a day.

One more question. How common are inverters over there?

brational

Country flag
Wearing Hijab could save Pakistanis from Heat wave. Allah is angry.:wink:

musalman

پاکستان زنده باد
Country flag
Let me get this straight, are you saying your power cuts are cyclic? By cyclic I mean repetitive. If so that must be a bummer.

Just curious, was it always like this. I am just trying to figure out which method is more beneficial for common people. Over here we may have 2 continuos hours once or twice a day.

One more question. How common are inverters over there?
Yes they are. Yeah its a bummer. Yes we have inverters. Many ppl have also installed solar panels on their places.
Frankly one hour with an inverter is ok. AC loses its effect after one hour.

Illusive

Country flag
Yes they are. Yeah its a bummer. Yes we have inverters. Many ppl have also installed solar panels on their places.
Frankly one hour with an inverter is ok. AC loses its effect after one hour.
Inverter as in UPS? Imagine all the homes having UPS and storing that power in the batteries, that put a lot of load on the grid, because you are using and storing power at the same time.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Inverter as in UPS? Imagine all the homes having UPS and storing that power in the batteries, that put a lot of load on the grid, because you are using and storing power at the same time.
Similar to delhi, isn't it?.............

Illusive

Country flag
Similar to delhi, isn't it?.............
Well if Delhi faces frequent powercuts, then maybe because the battery need charging only once until the next powercut.

Doesn't Delhi enjoy free electricity thanks to kejru uncle :D

musalman

پاکستان زنده باد
Country flag
Yes that is why people are also using solar as a backup for UPS charging. Which can charge it on solar atleast during the day time.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles