Dawood's Relative Javed Miandad granted Visa

afako

Hindufying India
Country flag
Defending the grant of visa to former Pakistan cricketer Javed Miandad, the Government on Thursday said the Home Ministry has followed "proper" procedures.

"It is a decision taken by the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) and the Government. What are the circumstances, what is considered when an approval is given... what goes into it, is an internal government matter," External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid told reporters in Bangalore.

He was responding to a question about the opposition to the grant of visa to Miandad, an official of the Pakistan Cricket Board, for the India-Pakistan one-day.

Due to Miandad's family ties with Dawood Ibrahim, India's most wanted terrorist, there had been reports before a series in 2005 that any requests for a visa by the batting great could be turned down by the Indian government.

Mr. Khurshid, who was on private visit to the state, retorted:

"It is the job of MHA. They have taken a decision. No Pakistani visa gets cleared without MHA clearance. Inputs from all agencies are taken into consideration. It is an internal procedure".

Apparently referring to Shiv Sena's objections over grant of visa, he said, "Opposition only questions. Proper procedures have been gone through in this. Any law of prudence which had to be followed, it was followed, I am sure law will take care".

When asked about the action contemplated against Majilis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen (MIM) MLA, Akbaruddin Owaisi for his alleged hate speech, Khurshid said legal procedures will be followed.

"I am not the Home Minister. I am sure the Home Minister gets full inputs from the intelligence bureau", he said.

Meanwhile, BJP and Shiv Sena lashed out at the government for granting visa to Javed Miandad, asking how allowing a person related to underworld don Dawood Ibrahim to visit India will help improve bilateral ties.

"This country loves the game of cricket but does not love terrorists. Dawood Ibrahim has been the mastermind of several terror acts. Pakistan has refused to hand him over to India despite several efforts. India should not allow any relative of Dawood to come to India," BJP Vice-President Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi told reporters.

The BJP maintained that Pakistan should hand over Dawood before Miandad is allowed to visit India. Dawood had allegedly masterminded the 1993 Mumbai blasts. He fled to Pakistan after the attacks and is said to be based there.

"Pakistan today is a factory of terror and manufactures terrorists who work against India," Mr. Naqvi said.

BJP MP Kirti Azad asked why the government had allowed Miandad to visit the country after seven years when "Indian government had refused to give him visa since 2005. Will Dawood Ibrahim's relative come and the Indian government question him? Giving him visa and playing cricket will not improve relations," the former Indian cricketer said.

Shiv Sena, which had opposed renewing of cricketing ties with Pakistan, said the whole country should condemn the move.

"He's a relative of Dawood Ibrahim and you lay out a red carpet for him. The whole country should oppose it. Pakistan has spread terrorism whether it is in Delhi, Mumbai or Kashmir," Sena MP Sanjay Raut said.

Interestingly, ruling Congress MP Jagadambika Pal has also opposed granting of visa to Miandad.

"Dawood Ibrahim is considered as the mastermind of terrorist activists... He is most wanted not just in India but the whole world and giving visa to his relative, I believe, is not right. It is bound to hurt sentiments of people," Mr. Pal said.

Miandad has been granted an Indian visa that will allow him to watch the final one-dayer of the ongoing limited-over cricket series between the two countries in New Delhi.

Miandad on Wednesday said he would come to New Delhi on January 5 to watch the cricket match the following day. He also said he had a visa for Ajmer Sharif.

The Hindu : News / National : Salman Khurshid defends granting of visa to Miandad

Raj30

From twitter

Abhilash "@Abhilash_sarda @mediacrooks govt keeps avoiding Israel president's visit to ind cause it hurts a few..but red carpet for Miandad hurting millions #Theekhai

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Salman Khurshid is proving to be an idiot by the day.

He is related to Dawood Ibrahim and Dawood has done much harm to the country and is an established terrorist with links to Osama bin Laden.

If Miandad is OK with Salman Khurshed, then why not allow Hafeez Sayed to come over too with all honours?

The High Commission in Pakistan gave the visa and not Indian Home Ministry.

The High Commission comes under Salman Khurshed.

This freak of nature is solely responsible for the faux pas and no one else.

This idiot must be sleeping at his desk having enjoyed Scotch at free dos the nights before.

Last edited:

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Maybe its a ploy so that raw can plant a bug on him which will lead us traight to dawood.

yes thats wishful thinking :p

Rage

DFI TEAM
Having watched the debate on Times Now, I was surprised by Mr. Dullat's assertions that Javed Miandad was just 'another' cricketer.

On the other hand, my snoopy mind tells me that this might be the best chance for the R&AW to try and catch Mr. Miandad off-guard at a careless moment and try and elicit critical information out of him. Then again, as @The Messiah says, this might just be wishful thinking.

Last edited by a moderator:

gokussj9

Country flag
From this debate

KC Singh, Raza, Krishnaswamy, Majoomdar :salute:
Dulat and Jha :bs:.

Rage

DFI TEAM
Just to summarize what I learned from that debate, and it was all new to me, since I've never followed the politics of cricket:

Javed Miandad is a known Dawood liaison, even before his son married Ibrahim's daughter. He has been on record, in an interview, in the late 1990's stating that the two of them shared a relationship that was far deeper than familial propinquity; and a witness at a London hotel spotted the two conferencing in dubious circumstances in 1982 at a time when hawala trafficking and match-fixing was rife. In the subcontinent, we all know that marriages between two people are really marriages between their families, and it is safe to assume that an infamous criminal like Dawood Ibrahim was not about to entrust his daughter in marriage to a family, whose very patriarch he didn't trust. Miandad also alleges that a variety of Pak politicians pay obeisance to Ibrahim. To put the situation in further political and policy perspective, some of the panelists on the debate alluded to the 82-year old mother of former LTTE Chief, L Prabhakaran who came to Chennai a while ago to receive medical treatment, but had a visa that imposed strict conditions on her stay and cooperation with law enforcement agencies in India. They argued that, if Miandad was to be issued a visa, he should've been issued one with similarly stringent conditions, in lieu of policy clarity and consistency, with the final decision to accept or decline the visa left upto him. Some of the panelists also alleged that, if Salman Rushdie could have been prevented from entering the country on grounds of hurting religious sensitivities, Javed Miandad should also have been prevented, as it offended the sensitivities of families of the more than 260 victims of the 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts, for which Dawood Ibrahim was proved directly responsible. That sports and politics should not mix was countered by the rebuttal that they in fact do: as was evident from the boycotting of South Africa during the apartheid regime and more recently, from the cancellation of all cricketing and sports ties with Pakistan in the aftermath of the 2011 Mumbai attacks.

Last edited:

gokussj9

Country flag
Just to summarize what I learned from that debate, and it was all new to me, since I've never followed the politics of cricket:

Javed Miandad is a known Dawood liaison, even before his son married Ibrahim's daughter. He has been on record, at an interview, stating that the two of them shared a relationship that was far deeper than familial propinquity; and a witness at a London hotel spotted the two conferencing in dubious circumstance in 1982 at a time when hawala trafficking and match-fixing was rife. In the subcontinent, we all know that marriages between two people are really marriages between their families, and it is safe to assume that an infamous criminal like Dawood Ibrahim was not about to entrust his daughter in marriage to a family, whose very patriarch he didn't trust. Miandad also alleges that a variety of Pak politicians pay obeisance to Ibrahim. To put the situation in political and policy perspective, some of the panelists on the live debate alluded to the 82-year old mother of former LTTE Chief, L Prabhakaran who came to Chennai a while ago to receive medical treatment, but had a visa that imposed strict conditions on her stay and cooperation with law enforcement agencies in India. They argued that, if Miandad were to be issued a visa, he should've been issued one with similarly stringent conditions, in lieu of policy clarity and consistency, with the final decision to accept or decline the visa left upto him. Some of the panelists also alleged that, if Salman Rushdie could have been prevented from entering the country on grounds of hurting religious sensitivities, Javed Miandad should also have been prevented, as it offended the sensitivities of families of the more than 260 victims of the 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts, for which Dawood Ibrahim was proved directly responsible. That sports and politics should not be mixed in the case of India and Pakistan was countered by the rebuttal that they in fact do, as was evident from the cancellation of all cricketing and sporting ties with Pakistan in the aftermath of the 2011 Mumbai attacks.
The debate gave me a picture that minorities in India (in religious sense) understand the true nature of Pakhanastan rather better than
the idiotic so called liberal Hindu. I remember that Ibrahim was ready to surrender if Ram Jethmalani took up his case and got him bail.
Gladly, he refused otherwise it would have been a mockery of the whole system.

lcatejas

:mad:..........Jis thanli me khate hai usi me ched karte hai saale .....

sasi

PCB maintains silence over Miandad's visit to Delhi

PCB maintains silence over Miandad's visit to Delhi - The Times of India
KARACHI: The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) is maintaining a silence over the issue of its director-general cricket, Javed Miandad going to New Delhi to watch the third and final one-day international between India and Pakistan.
The news of Miandad being granted a visa by the Indian authorities :mad: has generated a lot of controversy in India with a number of politicians questioning the decision as Miandad's family has ties with Dawood Ibrahim, India's most wanted terrorist.
There had been reports before a series in 2005 that any requests for a visa by the batting great could be turned down by the Indian government.
"We have been told to avoid any comments on this issue. Even Javed hasbeen told not speak to the media on the sensitive subject," a source in the PCB said.
Miandad's son Junaid is married to Mahrukh, the daughter of Dawood, who is wanted in India in connection with the 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts case.
Miandad had confirmed to the 'Daily Dawn' newspaperon Tuesday that he will be witnessing the third ODI in New Delhi on January 6.
"My visa and tickets are ready and I shall be in Delhi for the third ODI match scheduled for January 6," he said.
Miandad also said that he did not face any trouble in getting the Indian visa and was quite excited about travelling to Delhi for the big game.
The former captain was also granted visa to visit India in March, 2011 to witness the World Cup semifinal match between the arch-rivals at Mohali but he cancelled it due to some personal commitments.
Miandad could not be contacted for his reactionson the latest outcry in India, but sources close to him confirmed he was conferring with his family, friends and the PCB whether it would be worthwhile to visit Delhi in the current situation.
Interestingly, the PCB had not included Miandad's name in a list of former captains and greats, it had prepared to send to India as goodwill ambassadors.
The list included Intikhab Alam, Imtiaz Ahmed, Hanif Muhammad, Wasim Bari andSadiq Muhammad. And except for Hanif, who will going to Delhi, the others are already in India as goodwill ambassadors.
Former Pakistan captain, Imran Khan and his cousins, Majid Khan and Javed Burki had declined invitations from the PCB to go to India for the series.
/

sasi

Miandad gets visa power from PMO as part of confidence-building

Despite intelligence agencies' objection, Javed Miandad gets visa power from PMO as part of confidence-building measures between the two countries : North, News - India Today
The decision to allow former Pakistani cricketer Javed Miandad to visit India was a political one, much against the advice of the country's security agencies.
Highly placed sources said the decision to allow the cricketer to watch the January 6 Pakistan-India ODI in New Delhi was taken at the level ofthe Prime Minister's Office (PMO).
An intelligence official said it was purely a "political and diplomatic decision" taken in the wake of a similar clearance given to Pakistani Interior Minister Rehman Malik in December last year. The intelligence agencies, not surprisingly, were not happy with the move.
What has surprised many is how the government's stand on Miandad has changed. According to sources, a decision was taken in 2005, after Miandad's son married the daughter of underworld don and India's most wanted fugitive Dawood Ibrahim, against allowing the cricket icon to visit India.
Among other crimes, Dawood is wanted for plotting the 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts that killed 260 people. India has maintained that since his escape Dawood has been given a safe haven in Pakistan. Since the marriage, Miandad and his family have been under the scanner of Indian intelligence agencies.
"The decision to not allow him to visit India was being followed in principle. Since nothing has changed in the case, we should not have allowed him to come," said an intelligence official.
The decision to forbid Miandad from visiting India had the backing of M.K. Narayanan, the then National Security Adviser, and the then Intelligence Bureau Chief, E.S.L.Narsimhan.
Click here to Enlarge Narayanan at present is the Governor of West Bengal while Narsimhan is the Governor in Andhra Pradesh. That stand seems to have been changed as part of the"confidence building measures" between the two countries.
Defending the decision to issue visa, Union Minister of State for Home Affairs R.P.N. Singh said he was not on any prohibited list and that he was coming as a representative ofthe Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB).
"He is a well-known cricketer. His visa application papers were in order and that is why the government decided to give him a visa," Singh said. He also denied inputs from the Intelligence Bureau against allowing the former cricketer to visit India. External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid has supported the decision.
"This decision has been taken by the Home Ministry. I am sure they would have taken inputs from all concerned agencies and from our mission in Pakistan," he said.
Meanwhile, the BJP and the Shiv Sena have lashed out at the government for inviting a close relative of a man wanted for terror activities in India.
"Dawood Ibrahim has been the mastermind of several terror attacks in India and Pakistan has refused to hand him over to us despite repeated demands. India should not allow any relative of Dawood to come to India," said BJP vice-president Mukhtar AbbasNaqvi.
The BJP has demanded that Miandad should be allowed to visit India only if Pakistan is willing to hand over Dawood.
Meanwhile, commenting on the rumours surrounding Miandad not visiting India despite his name being included in the felicitation process in Kolkata, PCB Chairman Zaka Ashraf said: "As far as I know, he did not apply for the visa and so he did not come."
/

Defenceindia2010

Country flag
Re: Miandad gets visa power from PMO as part of confidence-building

Next on the invitation list: LeT Chief, JeM Chief, Taliban Chief, ISI Chief. :mad:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Re: Miandad gets visa power from PMO as part of confidence-building

I faill to understand how an international terrorist's relative can lead to confidence building.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Typical Indian PM mentality thinking that he can do things different from his predecessors using same measures without digesting lesson that came along from past dealings.

Btw with this act, you are not building confidence among ordinary pakistanis but with mafia lords & their non-political operators living in shadows. Good luck with that. Chor ka dharam chori ke baad pata chalega.

Sent via Tapatalk from a galaxy far far away

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles