Dassault named leader of future European Fighter

sthf

Country flag
1.2% of German GDP is a fair amount of money.
Evidently not, as stated by the multiple sources. If you want some more sources I'll be happy to provide them.

They are hiking it to 2%
Wake me up when that happens. As of today, France is hoping for it to happen. However, it is a pretty safe bet that is not going to happen as people running Germany do not view a capable military as a necessity.

IndianHawk

Country flag

Conceptual artwork ... I like it.

In other news, I am reading that the development cost of SCAF should reach between 50 and 80 billion euros.o_O

If Germany is out, it is game over.

EDIT : development + jets ... phew.
Any idea of it's dimensions ?? How much bigger than rafale?? What engine thrust is required??

And financially isn't rafale program itself over 50 billion euros??

IndianHawk

Country flag

Conceptual artwork ... I like it.

In other news, I am reading that the development cost of SCAF should reach between 50 and 80 billion euros.o_O

If Germany is out, it is game over.

EDIT : development + jets ... phew.
Also is this shape final with vertical tails because it's quite less radical than true tail less form touted before.

Also indian AMCA could reach such an external shape in one or two iteration .

Tactical Frog

Country flag
Any idea of it's dimensions ?? How much bigger than rafale?? What engine thrust is required??

And financially isn't rafale program itself over 50 billion euros??
Right, Rafale itself came at a cost, we tend to forget that. Definitely over 40 billion euros if we finally get 180 + 60 Rafale. But we did not yet spend all all that money , not yet ! So SCAF development costs will add to Rafale program costs in future years.
Fighter)
The specs ? It is all in limbos ... All we know is that the NGF (New Generation Fighter) is going to be bigger than Rafale, with a far more powerful engine. And France wants it to be compatible with sea operations (deja vu). It means a much bigger aircraft carrier too, Queen Elisabeth class size.

Last edited:

IndianHawk

Country flag
.. All we know is that the NGF (New Generation Fighter) is going to be bigger than Rafale, with a far more powerful engine. And France wants it to be compatible with sea operations (deja vu). It means a much bigger aircraft carrier too, Queen Elisabeth class size.
Isn't a 110-120 kn engine is quiet more powerful from current rafale m88 which is only 75kn.

And being carrier capable it can't be bigger than f35 because then french will need a carrier even bigger than QE class just to maintain same fleet as UK??

2+2 it should not be more than mtow of 30 ton.

It also needs to be exported so that will also keep size ( hence price) down!!.

Anyway that's my view of it.

Tactical Frog

Country flag
pretty sure europeans will abandon this project in some years and go all aboard American train...
Rendez vous in 2040 :playball:

I am not sure it works either. It is a matter of politics more than anything else. France and Germany want to show the rest of Europeans who is boss on the continent. And prove we don’t need American protection for ever.
After all, France has the nukes and Germany has the vault. But if at a point trust is lost between Paris and Berlin, the SCAF project will collapse.

Assassin 2.0

Country flag
Rendez vous in 2040 :playball:

I am not sure it works either. It is a matter of politics more than anything else. France and Germany want to show the rest of Europeans who is boss on the continent. And prove we don’t need American protection for ever.
After all, France has the nukes and Germany has the vault. But if at a point trust is lost between Paris and Berlin, the SCAF project will collapse.
Why this new sense of saying good bye to American protection is growing in Germany and france?

Tactical Frog

Country flag
Why this new sense of saying good bye to American protection is growing in Germany and france?
Donald Trump is the reason. Somehow he succeeded in convincing Germany to spend more for its defence. Somehow he managed to make everyone feel insecure with lot of aggressive statements against the European Union.

As for France, many believe it is in our best interests to work with other concerned European nations and try to build a functional, independent European defence. Keeping in mind US support cannot be granted for ever.

Last edited:

Assassin 2.0

Country flag
Donald Trump is the reason. Somehow he succeeded in convincing Germany to spend more for its defence. Somehow he managed to make everyone feel insecure with lot of aggressive statements against the European Union.

As for France, many believe it is in our best interests to work with other concerned European nations and try to build a functional, independent European defence. Keeping in mind US support cannot be granted for ever.
And France have a thriving aerospace industry it would be very foolish to dry out by not developing next generation equipments. Just like how brits killed their industry.

I think if this program materialize then india would be also quite interested in it particularly in the naval variant.
And Germany would be a sticking point due it's arms policy.

Gessler

Country flag
Already near the end ? Dassault ceo don't agree the last german proposal

Always had a feeling France would do this project alone...looks like moving toward that.

Haldilal

लड़ते लड़ते जीना है, लड़ते लड़ते मरना है
Country flag
80 to 100 € billion..... This is the sole problem.
Ya'll Nibbiars Increase your defence budget by decreasing your foreign aid budget. Unless there to many Liberandu's in France.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles