Das Auto in crisis

jouni

Heh....I am glad I do not have Volkswagen....huge crisis in the making 40% off the share value in two days. Can you trust the Germans? Are there more skeletons in the closet....

The Volkswagen group has set aside €6.5bn (£4.2bn) to deal with the costs it may face as a result of fitting 11m diesel vehicles worldwide with a device to cheat emissions tests.

In the past two days, about €25bn has been wiped off the company’s market value.

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2015/sep/22/scale-of-volkswagen-crisis-in-charts

pmaitra

@jouni, thanks for the thread. I was going to post it as well. I have a diesel VolksWagen. I suspect mine will also fall under this recall. I have to call the dealer tomorrow and ask them, "Wussup?" :biggrin2:

I hope now you believe that the German tried to bribe India to buy their submarines? European values, and stuff.

Now I want to own a GAZ Volga. o_O

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
tl;dr version of this controversy: The catalytic converter in Volkswagen's TDI engines don't meet emission norms in their production versions. Catalytic converters are parts that filter out harmful chemicals from the exhaust before releasing to the atmosphere.

This is surprising because even a 1-year old Polo has to go through TUV certification in, say Germany. You'd think that with enough data, they'd come to this conclusion much earlier.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
Also that VW has been using a device to cheat emission tests that simply spits out those chemicals in the mixture of non-compliant emissions that trick the pollution control testing equipment to thinking the exhaust comply with norms.

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
Thank God I bought a Sunny Nissan rather than a Volkswagen Vento! Good decision!!

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
If it's a diesel you bought, then enjoy the smoke after 2 years (8V-SOHC engine).
No diesel for me !:nono: I bought a nice quiet petrol version! I've been on petrol since the last 30 years! Diesel vehicles suck after some time with the noise and vibrations they start to produce! Damn the slightly better mileage of diesel vehicles! They even cost more. And are they cost effective? Yes, if you are doing more than 10,000 km a month! :tongue:

pmaitra

21?, 24?, 31?

I like that one the best.

I would prefer the universal.

Last edited:

pmaitra

Can buy Ford Falcon 63 years?
Good find. Looks very similar indeed. Only three doors?

Amongst US classic cars, the first thing that I think of is this:
There is a modern muscle car that is somewhat similar to the GAZ Volga:

Akim

Professional
Country flag
Good find. Looks very similar indeed. Only three doors?
Opel Kadet 38 years and Moskvich 400.

The Soviet Union designed the little car He was stealing ideas.All efforts and finances were directed to the defense industry. The civil sector has gone by the wayside.

pmaitra

Opel Kadet 38 years and Moskvich 400.

The Soviet Union designed the little car He was stealing ideas.All efforts and finances were directed to the defense industry. The civil sector has gone by the wayside.
Agreed.

The Soviet Union set aside the civilian sector, because it has always been a security state.

For example, an old Moskvitch has better off-road capabilities than the new KrAZ whatever, and especially those Saxons, which were used by the Kiev regime forces.

Anyway, coming back to VolksWagen, what they did is stupid.

Now, Das Auto is in trouble, as @jouni correctly said, and Das Auto Zavod in Wolfsburg is also in trouble.

Akim

Professional
Country flag
Agreed.

The Soviet Union set aside the civilian sector, because it has always been a security state.

For example, an old Moskvitch has better off-road capabilities than the new KrAZ whatever, and especially those Saxons, which were used by the Kiev regime forces.

Anyway, coming back to VolksWagen, what they did is stupid.

Now, Das Auto is in trouble, as @jouni correctly said, and Das Auto Zavod in Wolfsburg is also in trouble.
If VW really cheated - he should be punished. What to say 20 pages.

jouni

jouni

I do not think people realize the scale of this. Faking emissions is like basically selling a fake product. What is the difference? Now all the Chinese piracy companies can say that they are just doing what VW has done....

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles