Daily life of the average Indian and Chinese?

cloud_9

Country flag
Electricity - We got both Commercial ( 3 Phase) and Residential supply at our home Rs 2.40 for the first 100, 3.94 for the next 200 and 4.16 for the remainder and Rs 4.53 for the commercial.Add a 10% S.O.P.

Public Transport - For intercity Buses - 90 paise/KM and ~ Rs 2/KM with HVAC and Rs 10 will take you to the farthest place in my city.

Domestic Help - Rs 1500 (minus the washing of dishes & food)

Petrol somewhere around Rs 75 and Diesel Rs 46

DTH - My mother watches DD DTH and its free. DishTV or BigTV costed around Rs 350 per month(in 2008)

Movie Tickets - Less than Rs. 500 (Depending on the movie)

Energon

DFI stars
Ambassador
Country flag
what is most impressive is the cheap domestic help...

I am looking for a babysitter for my baby....but here I can find one,even with a monthly salary of 3000RMB(21K rupees) plus free food and lodge,because most local babysitters are going back home for CHInese new year and not ready to take jobs before Chinese new year.

BTW.....Mr. Ray hire sooo many domestic helps...it is really quite hard to imagine in CHina......

I know several Chinese billionnaires,but they just hire only one full-time housekeeper at most .

Mr. Ray would absolutely belongs to 1% ,if he lived in CHina. hahah:taunt:
Unlike China the lack of organized manufacturing does not provide the bulk of India's unskilled labor force with many options. Furthermore the limited nature of the economy ends up putting a large section of India's urban workforce (around 80%) into the informal economic sector. Within this group, domestic employment is one of the biggest outlets, especially for women.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Last edited by a moderator:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
@Badguy,

We Indians are satisfied with just what money can buy!

The domestics don't work full time.

They service many families during the day.

Mr. Ray would absolutely belongs to 1% ,if he lived in CHina
I would also get the pay and perks as a Communist Party worker and also have my family investing and running enterprises! ;) :pound:

Last edited:

agentperry

what is most impressive is the cheap domestic help...

I am looking for a babysitter for my baby....but here I can find one,even with a monthly salary of 3000RMB(21K rupees) plus free food and lodge,because most local babysitters are going back home for CHInese new year and not ready to take jobs before Chinese new year.

BTW.....Mr. Ray hire sooo many domestic helps...it is really quite hard to imagine in CHina......

I know several Chinese billionnaires,but they just hire only one full-time housekeeper at most .

Mr. Ray would absolutely belongs to 1% ,if he lived in CHina. hahah:taunt:
sorry you wont find babysitter. because the domesticc help we are talking about work only for 1 hour or two hour at your place then they go to other. so in a way the money we are talking about is on 60 hour basis. and babysitting is not their cup of tea. what they can do is to clean home and cut veggie. thats it

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I wonder if there are babysitters as a profession in India.

I take it that there are many grandparents who act as babysitters out of sheer joy of having them around.

Those who are not living close to grandparents and are both working, have to do with creches.

Domestic help are not in house or 24 hours, they work part time and assist in cleaning utensils and cutting vegetables and then take off.

No help works full time. They have their own families to look after too!

Last edited:

average american

I have been babysitting my two grandsons for two months while their father was deployed over seas. Loved it.

badguy2000

Respected Member
Hi guys, a window into the life of South Africans. I have converted South African rands to rupees. exchange rate R1= INR 6.2 and R8.6 = 1USD

I own my own house but currently value is = INR 43400/ sq metre
Gas= INR 72 per litre 93 Octane, 95 Octane is more, Disel is slightly higher than 93 Octane
School fees, my 5 yr old son is in Grade 0(preschool -private)-cost per year = INR 173600, my daughter 7 years old, grade 2 = INR 133929 per year (semi private)
Domestic help = INR 868 per day
Satellite T.V. = INR 3720 per month
Movies ticket = INR 240- 527
Public transport , I have no idea
school fee is too expensive......in China, the most prestigious schools are usually Public schools..
house price is acceptable...

other items are too expensive.

badguy2000

Respected Member
I wonder if there are babysitters as a profession in India.

I take it that there are many grandparents who act as babysitters out of sheer joy of having them around.

Those who are not living close to grandparents and are both working, have to do with creches.

Domestic help are not in house or 24 hours, they work part time and assist in cleaning utensils and cutting vegetables and then take off.

No help works full time. They have their own families to look after too!
In CHina, hirers usually have to provide a full-time nanny with free lodge and food .

In fact, Chinese full-time nannies usually live at hirer home and have dinner/lunch/breakfast with their hirers together.

badguy2000

Respected Member
I have been babysitting my two grandsons for two months while their father was deployed over seas. Loved it.
now, it is my parents that are babysitting my baby.....however,my monther is somewhat insomnic,so I have to look for a babysitter.

amoy

Are below items in my city cheaper than India?
- petrol: rmb7.82/L (#97)
- public transport: city bus rmb1 by cash, or rmb0.8 if by card
- movie ticket: rmb50 or so
- domestic help: rmb2500/mon. without accomodations

badguy2000

Respected Member
Are below items in my city cheaper than India?
- petrol: rmb7.82/L (#97)
- public transport: city bus rmb1 by cash, or rmb0.8 if by card
- movie ticket: rmb50 or so
- domestic help: rmb2500/mon. without accomodations
domistic help is much more expensive,and others are cheaper.

Rage

DFI TEAM
Mumbai, Dadar, which is a very traditional 'central suburb', on the west (coastal) side where property and capital goods prices are typically higher than in the east:

1. Condo or apartment cost per square feet - an avg. Rs 30,000 or $600 per sq.ft. in an up-market two-bedroom condo/apartment. This varies hugely by building or neighborhood, by residential complex, by proximity to amenities and by street location, often within the space of a block.

2. Electricity cost per KWH in house holds - Tarriff structures are usage-dependent with a fixed and variable component. The first 100 KWH residential are charged at Rs 30 or $0.60 (fixed) + Rs 2.96 or $0.06 (variable) per KWH used. The next 101-300 are charged Rs 50 or $1 + Rs 5.56 or $0.11 per KWH used. The next 301-500 are charged Rs.100 or $2 + Rs 9.16 or $0.18 per KWH used, and so on... These are tarriff rates as per Reliance Energy, a major private sector supplier, but state suppliers are competitive. Tarriff rates are quite standard across cities since there are only a handful of major oligopolist suppliers.

3. Gasoline or petrol cost per liter - Rs 75 or $1.50 per litre in Mumbai. This has been much more standard in practice within a particular urban designation since petrol and petroleum products have, until now, been cross-subsidized by large state enterprises. This is set to change with a slew of reform measures that take aim at reducing and then, eliminating subsidies from automotive and household fuels as part of fiscal tightening. *A price revision has just taken place yesterday.

4. Schoole fees per kid in a good private school per month - Rs 40,000 or $800 for ICSE/ISC; Rs 3.5 lakh or $7000 a year for IGCSE/IB for a student getting in on merit in a school like Bombay Scottish, which is considered an excellent primary and middle-school institution. Students admitted under the Principal's discretionary quota usually require a 'gratuity' or 'donation' that can vary steeply depending on the number of seats vis-a-vis demand.

5. Mobile phone bill per month for average use- Rs 399 or $8 if you have an internet package. Rs 150-300 or $3-6 otherwise. Mobile phones and subscriber packages are fairly cheap in India. Of course mobile phone bills are always usage dependent.

6. Domestic help cost per month - Rs 4000-6000 or $80-120 for a person working a three-hour shift. Such individuals usually work multiple shifts or in multiple households. Domestic help is becoming more expensive by the day, as people look for more lucrative careers.

7. DTV or cable TV charges per month - Basic Rs 300-350 or $6-7 for a bare-bones (approx. 120 channels) package.

8. Ticket prices for movies - Varies in the range of Rs 100-350 or $2-$7 for a stall seat depending on the type of cinema. Single screen, newer cinemas usually cost less; multiplexes more.

9. Ticket prices for public transport* - Non-airconditioned city buses: Rs. 5 or $0.10 is the minimum bus fare; Rs 26 or approx. $0.50 is the maximum bus fare (on most routes) for a one-way trip. A day pass of Rs 40 or $0.80 entitles you to limitless travel on any non-AC route for a day. Air-conditioned buses: Rs 10 or $0.20 is the minimum fare, Rs 64 or $1.15 is the maximum fare on most routes for a one-way trip. Rs 150 or $3 entitles you to limitless travel on any AC route for a day. AC city buses usually tend to ply the highways and freeways more often than interior routes, but solely non-AC routes are increasingly becoming rare. Rail: Rs 4 or $0.08 is the minimum rail fare for a Class II ticket on a suburban city train. Rs 40 or $0.80 is the minimum rail fare for Class I. Rs 23 or $0.45 is the maximum Class II rail fare; Rs 180 or $3.60 is the maximum Class I rail fare, if you do not change rail lines. Maximum rail fares will take you beyond municipal limits. The Mumbai suburban rail system has 3 rail networks: Central, Western and Transharbour. Using more than one line to get to a location serviced by a different line, other than the one of boarding, usually attracts a Rs 2 surcharge for Class II fares, and a Rs 10 surcharge on Class I fares. Mumbai also has a metro-rail and suburban monorail that is soon to start operation, whose prices have not yet been determined. Cost of ride in every means is essentially distance dependent.

10.Taxi fare for a 10km ride* - Depends on the type of taxi and the density of traffic. Cost of ride in every means is essentially distance dependent. Minimum fare for a basic (black and yellow, non air conditioned) cab is Rs 19 or $0.40 for the first 1.5km and Rs 12.50 or $0.25 per subsequent km. There is also an idle charge, for when the taxi is still, of Rs 30 of $0.60 per hour. Minimum fare for a cool (blue, air conditioned) cab is Rs 26 or $0.50 for the first 1.5km and Rs 18 or $0.35 per subsequent km. In a typical ordinary taxi daytime run in Mumbai, you are looking at approx Rs 180 or $.3.60 for 10km. Travel between midnight and 7am adds a 25% surcharge on the total fare. Mumbai also has an alternative semi-private means of transport in the autorickshaws, which are somewhat cheaper but do not ply in the central suburbs and the downtown core.

*Rates for public and semi-private transport are standard within municipal limits.

Remember, Dadar is only one (relatively small) location in Mumbai.
Transport rates, electricity and mobile tariffs apply across the city limits.
^All dollar figures are rounded off.

Last edited:

badguy2000

Respected Member
Mumbai, Dadar, which is a very traditional 'central suburb', on the west (coastal) side where property and capital goods prices are typically higher than in the east:

1. Condo or apartment cost per square feet - an avg. Rs 30,000 or $600 per sq.ft. in an up-market two-bedroom condo/apartment. This varies hugely by building or neighborhood, by residential complex, by proximity to amenities and by street location, often within the space of a block.

2. Electricity cost per KWH in house holds - Tarriff structures are usage-dependent with a fixed and variable component. The first 100 KWH residential are charged at Rs 30 or $0.60 (fixed) + Rs 2.96 or $0.06 (variable) per KWH used. The next 101-300 are charged Rs 50 or $1 + Rs 5.56 or $0.11 per KWH used. The next 301-500 are charged Rs.100 or $2 + Rs 9.16 or $0.18 per KWH used, and so on... These are tarriff rates as per Reliance Energy, a major private sector supplier, but state suppliers are competitive. Tarriff rates are quite standard across cities since there are only a handful of major oligopolist suppliers.

3. Gasoline or petrol cost per liter - Rs 75 or $1.50 per litre in Mumbai. This has been much more standard in practice within a particular urban designation since petrol and petroleum products have, until now, been cross-subsidized by large state enterprises. This is set to change with a slew of reform measures that take aim at reducing and then, eliminating subsidies from automotive and household fuels as part of fiscal tightening. *A price revision has just taken place yesterday.

4. Schoole fees per kid in a good private school per month - Rs 40,000 or $800 for ICSE/ISC; Rs 3.5 lakh or $7000 a year for IGCSE/IB for a student getting in on merit in a school like Bombay Scottish, which is considered an excellent primary and middle-school institution. Students admitted under the Principal's discretionary quota usually require a 'gratuity' or 'donation' that can vary steeply depending on the number of seats vis-a-vis demand.

5. Mobile phone bill per month for average use- Rs 399 or $8 if you have an internet package. Rs 150-300 or $3-6 otherwise. Mobile phones and subscriber packages are fairly cheap in India. Of course mobile phone bills are always usage dependent.

6. Domestic help cost per month - Rs 4000-6000 or $80-120 for a person working a three-hour shift. Such individuals usually work multiple shifts or in multiple households. Domestic help is becoming more expensive by the day, as people look for more lucrative careers.

7. DTV or cable TV charges per month - Basic Rs 300-350 or $6-7 for a bare-bones (approx. 120 channels) package.

8. Ticket prices for movies - Varies in the range of Rs 100-350 or $2-$7 for a stall seat depending on the type of cinema. Single screen, newer cinemas usually cost less; multiplexes more.

9. Ticket prices for public transport* - Non-airconditioned city buses: Rs. 5 or $0.10 is the minimum bus fare; Rs 26 or approx. $0.50 is the maximum bus fare (on most routes) for a one-way trip. A day pass of Rs 40 or $0.80 entitles you to limitless travel on any non-AC route for a day. Air-conditioned buses: Rs 10 or $0.20 is the minimum fare, Rs 64 or $1.15 is the maximum fare on most routes for a one-way trip. Rs 150 or $3 entitles you to limitless travel on any AC route for a day. AC city buses usually tend to ply the highways and freeways more often than interior routes, but solely non-AC routes are reducing. Rail: Rs 4 or $0.08 is the minimum rail fare for a Class II ride on a suburban city train. Rs 40 or $0.80 is the minimum rail fare for Class I. Rs 23 or $0.45 is the maximum Class II rail fare; Rs 180 or $3.60 is the maximum Class I rail fare, if you do not change rail lines. Maximum rail fares will take you beyond municipal limits. The Mumbai suburban rail system has 3 rail networks: Central, Western and Transharbour. Using more than one line to get to a location serviced by a different line, other than the one of boarding, usually attracts a Rs 2 surcharge for Class II fares, and a Rs 10 surcharge on Class I fares. Mumbai also has a metro-rail and suburban monorail that is soon to start operation, whose prices have not yet been determined. Cost of ride in every means is essentially distance dependent.

10.Taxi fare for a 10km ride* - Depends on the type of taxi and the density of traffic. Cost of ride in every means is essentially distance dependent. Minimum fare for a basic (black and yellow, non air conditioned) cab is Rs 19 or $0.40 for the first 1.5km and Rs 12.50 or $0.25 per subsequent km. There is also an idle charge, for when the taxi is still, of Rs 30 of $0.60 per hour. Minimum fare for a cool (blue, air conditioned) cab is Rs 26 or $0.50 for the first 1.5km and Rs 18 or $0.35 per subsequent km. In a typical ordinary taxi daytime run in Mumbai, you are looking at Rs 180-200 or $.3.60 - 4 for 10km. Travel between midnight and 7am adds a 25% surcharge on the total fare. Mumbai also has an alternative semi-private means of transport in the autorickshaws, which are somewhat cheaper but do not ply in the central suburbs and the downtown core.

*Rates for public and semi-private transport are standard within municipal limits.

Remember, Dadar is only one (relatively small) location in Mumbai.
Transport rates, electricity and mobile tariffs apply across the city limits.
^All dollar figures are rounded off.
thanks for your reply.
I live in Ganzhou,China, a tier3 or tier4 inland CHinese mid-size city,with a urban population of 0.7M.

electricity costs almost 6 times more than here Ganzhou ,CHina...electricity cost only 0.1$ per KWH .....that is why India manufacturing section can not persper as CHina.

education costs also much more than China....in China,private schools are usually not as good as public schools....and publich school fees are quite limited. Junior school and mid-school education is free,in theory... In a word, a decent public education system helps CHina with a high literacy rate.

Gas or petrol costs 20-30% more than here, Ganzhou ,China... it reflects that china has more oil supplies...

Public transport cost is almost equal to that here.

However, domestic help really is impressively cheaper than here.

Rage

DFI TEAM
thanks for your reply.
I live in Ganzhou,China, a tier3 or tier4 inland CHinese mid-size city,with a urban population of 0.7M.

electricity costs almost 6 times more than here Ganzhou ,CHina...electricity cost only 0.1$ per KWH .....that is why India manufacturing section can not persper as CHina.

education costs also much more than China....in China,private schools are usually not as good as public schools....and publich school fees are quite limited. Junior school and mid-school education is free,in theory... In a word, a decent public education system helps CHina with a high literacy rate.

Gas or petrol costs 20-30% more than here, Ganzhou ,China... it reflects that china has more oil supplies...

Public transport cost is almost equal to that here.

However, domestic help really is impressively cheaper than here.
However, Mumbai is not a manufacturing hub. It is a financial hub.

Electricity and oil prices vary significantly across cities. Delhi's petrol price is currently somewhere around the Rs 64 mark.

Also, it appears that you have miscalculated the Ganzhou:Mumbai electricity tarriff ratio. Once again, Dadar, Mumbai: which is a purely residential-commercial area, has an electricity tarriff of $0.06 (variable) per KWH used for the first 100 KWH; $0.11 per KWH (variable) for the next 101-300 KWH used and $0.18 per KWH for the next 301-500 KWH. If Ganzhou has an electricity tarriff of "$0.1 per KWH" used, then Dadar's tarriff can not be "six times more than in Ganzhou". Further away, Pune, a Tier III city 200 km. from Mumbai, which has a larger manufacturing hub, has an electricity tarriff approx half that of Mumbai (Rs.4.89 or $0.09) beyond the 300 KWH bracket, which is probably more comparable to Tier-III Ganzhou.

Also, while private primary schools are generally considered more prestigious than their government counterparts, the situation reverses when in the field of higher education. India's literacy rate, per the 2011 Census preliminaries, is expected to be 84%.

While, public transport in Pune is cheaper or comparable to Mumbai, semi-private transport: autorickshaws and cabs are far more expensive because of a lack of proper regulation.

Last edited:

cir

now, begin with my daily life

1. Condo or apartment cost per square meter :5000-10000RMB(35000-70000 Rupees)
2. Electricity cost per KWH in house holds :0.6 RMB(4 rupees)
3. Gasoline or petrol cost per liter :7.37RMB(50 Rupees)
4. Schoole fees per kid in a good private school per month: I don't know ,because My kid is still a baby.
5. Mobile phone bill per month for average use 100-200 RMB(700-1400rupees)
6. Domestic help cost per month: 2500-3000RMB(17500-21000RMB) with free food and lodge
7. DTV or cable TV charges per month : 24RMB(168 rupees)
8. Ticket prices for movies :30-100RMB(210-700 rupees)
9. Ticket prices for public transport: 1RMB(7 rupees) for bus
10.Taxi fare for a 10km ride about 15 RMB(105 rupees)

1 yuan buys roughly 8.8 Rs.

Where do you live?Prices vary greatly from region to region and place to place. It also depends on where you buy your service. For example, you can have a haircut for 5 yuan in a barber shop or 50 yuan in a hair salon, both in Beijing. Or you can have your hair done by a roadside barber for 1 yuan in a county-level city.

badguy2000

Respected Member
However, Mumbai is not a manufacturing hub. It is a financial hub.

Electricity and oil prices vary significantly across cities. Delhi's petrol price is currently somewhere around the Rs 64 mark.

Also, it appears that you have miscalculated the Ganzhou:Mumbai electricity tarriff ratio. Once again, Dadar, Mumbai: which is a purely residential-commercial area, has an electricity tarriff of $0.06 (variable) per KWH used for the first 100 KWH; $0.11 per KWH (variable) for the next 101-300 KWH used and $0.18 per KWH for the next 301-500 KWH. If Ganzhou has an electricity tarriff of "$0.1 per KWH" used, then Dadar's tarriff can not be "six times more than in Ganzhou". Further away, Pune, a Tier III city 200 km. from Mumbai, which has a larger manufacturing hub, has an electricity tarriff approx half that of Mumbai (Rs.4.89 or $0.09) beyond the 300 KWH bracket, which is probably more comparable to Tier-III Ganzhou.

Also, while private primary schools are generally considered more prestigious than their government counterparts, the situation reverses when in the field of higher education. India's literacy rate, per the 2011 Census preliminaries, is expected to be 84%.

While, public transport in Pune is cheaper or comparable to Mumbai, semi-private transport: autorickshaws and cabs are far more expensive because of a lack of proper regulation.
by any measure, electricity in India costs much more than here.

elctricity for resident is 0.1$ /KWH and electricity for industry is 0.15$,tarrif included.
And Ganzhou is never a manufacturing hub,but a undeveloped inland tier 3 city.

in CHina,Private schools ,incluidng private higher education ,are usually less prestigous than their governmental counterparts

public transport in Ganzhou mainly rely on buses and taxi.....subways will not be built in forseeable future....

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
A very informative and a good thread.

Thanks, Badguy.

Last edited:

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned
1. Condo or apartment cost per square feet- ========i don't know in square ft but in abbottabad 1 kanal= 65lac PKR or 36.45 INDIAN rupees
Bannu because of too much dense populated 1 kanal is more than 1 core even in adjacent places to city
in lakki marwat or DIK 1 kanal=5000-10000pkr or even cheaper..

2. Electricity cost per KWH in house holds-==========14pkr per unit or 7.84inr
3. Gasoline or petrol cost per liter-===========102pkr or 57inr
4. Schoole fees per kid in a good private school per month=======3300pkr or 1850 inr(army burn hall)
5. Mobile phone bill per month for average use---average 500pkr or 280pkr(
6. Domestic help cost per month----none
7. DTV or cable TV charges per month---200pkr per month
8. Ticket prices for movies-----120 pkr(pushto movie) or 67 inr
9. Ticket prices for public transport-==============8 pkr(roughly 16km) or 4.5inr
10.Taxi fare for a 10km ride--------150pkr or 84.11inr(if the taxi is on petrol than double)

in bannu things are even more cheapers except petrol/cng prices/electricity

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles