Curtiss P-40 Carrier Operations

pampa14

Country flag
The Operation Torch (initially called Operation Gymnast) was the British-American invasion of French North Africa, specifically Morocco and Algeria, in World War II during the North African Campaign, started on 8 November 1942. The Operation Torch was the first Allied amphibious operation of the war. The USS Chenango loaded and shipped 72 P-40F airplanes of the 33rd Fighter Group at Norfolk, VA, on 10-21-42. The carrier steamed for North Africa on 10-21-42. The P-40s were launched off of the carrier on 11-10-42 and established a base at the airport at Port Lyautey, French Morocco. On 01-19-43, The USS Ranger launched USAAF P-40 aircraft off Accra, Gold Coast to reinforce Allied forces fighting in North Africa. Some photos of P-40's transport and operations onboard US Carriers, can be found in the link:

Aviação em Floripa: Curtiss P-40 em Porta-Aviões

Hope you enjoy and thanks for visiting!

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
I never knew the P-40 had a version with folding wings, but the ones on the carrier are P-40Ls..

They flew off the USS Ranger but did not land on the carrier again, I believe.

Last edited:

Haha

I did not know P-40s had a version of folding wings. Any way were these planes from Operation Torch of US Navy or of US Army?

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
I did not know P-40s had a version of folding wings. Any way were these planes from Operation Torch of US Navy or of US Army?
They were USAAF. The P-40 was never operated by USN or USMC.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles