Crisis in Tibet - Opression and Human rights violations by China

Discussion in 'Subcontinent & Central Asia' started by ahmedsid, Mar 10, 2009.

1. ahmedsid

ahmedsid Top Gun Senior Member

The Chinese Exercises recently are meant at showing force to their own people, that if any trouble erupts in any region in china, the army can reach there. I dont think China plans to face India with 50000 Soldiers. Correct me if I am wrong, the Chinese are a bit shaken by the recent show by the uighurs. Its not directed towards India I feel.

2. macintosh

macintosh Regular Member

Don't know about war over Tibet(I mean it is probably impossible unless the war will be started by China itself) but yesterday while watching Times Now ( at 9:30 the discussion show with anchor pranav and topic was "Why is china not giving official comments on report of Dismembering India" ) they had an Indian guest(Forgot it's name) .When he was asked about China's subversive activities in North-east he said India had done similar activities in Tibet. I don't know if he really knew about it but that was something I was not anticipating. If he was true and if India will continue to play these subversive activities in Tibet then a Limited War with China over Tibet may be possible.

3. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Atiśa Dipankara Shrijnana (Bengali: অতীশ দীপঙ্কর শ্রীজ্ঞান Ôtish Dipôngkor Srigên) (980-1054 CE) was a Buddhist teacher from the Pala Empire who, along with Konchog Gyalpo and Marpa, was one of the major figures in the establishment of the Sarma lineages in Tibet after the repression of Buddhism by King Langdarma (Glang Darma).

So, is Tibet a part of Bengal?

That could be so, if the Chinese logic that Arunachal is Southern Tibet!

4. badguy2000

badguy2000 Respected Member Senior Member

the exercises of PLA is to test the rapid action capacity of PLA.

it is the duty of paratroops called " armed police " to deal with domestic trouble like Uyghur thugs.

PLA's duty is to deal with threaten from foreign countries.

5. Daredevil

Daredevil On Vacation! Administrator

This is what B. Raman has to say regarding military exercise Stride-2009. Highlighted the relevant portions with respect to Indian concerns.

6. ahmedsid

ahmedsid Top Gun Senior Member

Well, what if something big, like a Big uprising comes up? Who comes in? Still the cops?
    And which Foreign country in SEA are you gonna face with 50K troops? I mean, I would have bought it if it was like atleast 100,000 Troops.

The only country you got serious problem is India and 50000 troops will not be sufficient when the guns start roaring!

7. Ray

One has to observe the rapid modernisation of the Chinese defence and they have not hesitated in stealing secrets from the world over to progress her indigenous military industry.

China, while romping ahead in the economic field has not cared for the western regions of China since they are not really what they called ‘cooked barbarians’. The economic disparity between coastal and western China is worth notice.

To be a global player as China wants to establish, it must first have regional hegemony. They impediment to such a dream is India.

Therefore, if again like 1962, China can humiliate India once again, then she is on the way to challenging the US.

Therefore, it is essential that if India has some self pride, she arms to be capable of taking on China , be it in conjunction with a China Pakistan thrust or any attempt to divide India into 30 segments as the strategic paper suggested.

It is time that we quit all this Gandhigiri and get cracking with relpolitik Tibet and Xinjiang are ripe fruits!

8. Ray

They used their Airborne Corps as per the Report.

Check what OoE said.

really?

Paratroopers to do police action?

tell it to the marines.

9. Flint

Flint Senior Member Senior Member

If that's a serious question, the answer is an obvious no.

India has got far better things to do than some misadventure on the roof of the world.

10. Ray

The exercise is double edged.

Checking reaction to external threat and also internal.

The provinces mentioned have a Muslim majority!

Pan Islamic threat has come to China after the Uighurs chickened them!

No longer are they acting smug and cute!!

Their orifice is burning!

11. Ray

Like she had in 1962?

What are far better things? Losing territory as we did in 1962?

Adm Sureesh Mehta has more inputs than I have or anyone here has.

His speech should be a caution and we must be prepared!

I don't think war is the answer, but if they can interfere in the NE, what stops us to do the same in Tibet and Xinjiang?

12. macintosh

macintosh Regular Member

But playing proxy wars with China can be a real headache for India. While on one hand China will supress the agitation on their Land with Force, India has a lot of problem already like the Maoist. China can make India Genuflect by supplying Maoists as they are widespread and India is expected by the World to use Democratic means. India can't go out and shoot every villager and tribal to root it out. And then there is ULFA, NDBF and a lot of others in NorthEast. India can't take on China "with relpolitik". China has not only money but the incompetency on part of Indian MP's. India should resist from actively supporting tibet and Xiang people. It should only help other foreign agencies in fomenting trouble there as if now.

13. Flint

So India should extract sweet revenge for 1962? I'm sorry but I consider that a really, really dumb move.

I"m not sure what you mean by "interefere in the NE", but I'm assuming that you are referring to reports that China is helping NE insurgents.

Well here's my answer: The Capital of the Government of Tibet in exile, is located at Dharamsala, Himachal Pradesh.

Enough said.

14. sayareakd

sayareakd Moderator Moderator

it takes years to have capabilites and intentions can be changed overnight.

Chines have got all the capabilites thanks to the tibet train and now they plan to link their borders with high speed trains.

@ray, do we have capabilities to move two or three division in short period of time lets say within 5-7 hours ??
    or 10 hours.

15. Flint

On the political front, I think our best interests will be served by quickly resolving the outstanding border disputes with China.

We need neither idealists, not jingoists. We need pragmatists.

16. Daredevil

Daredevil On Vacation! Administrator

I'm not sure if China wants to solve border disputes with India. It is believed that they are using this dispute as a pressure point on India and a reason which they want to show if they want to go to war with India for whatever reasons. Regular incursions into the indian held territory is an example for that.

Here is an dated article by Subash Kapila on this matter.

17. Ray

It does take years to build capabilities.

China has done it. They have built the Tibetan Railway over gorges and permafrost and that is no easy task. India is still struggling to connect Srinagar and Ladakh without permafrost!!

It was believed that China would take two seasons to muster forces to take on India, but with three rail links, it will be one season. China has storage facilities in TAR to have reserves of all items of war materiel and food.

Mobilisation is not feasible in the time frame of 4 to even 10 hours. It must be understood that apart from loading up for war by the units and there are many units involved, there has to be road space management and every unit cannot just jump in and go! Managing a war is not what is seen on the Internet forums.

China has been financing and supporting and still does so the insurgents in the NE. The capital of the exiled Tibetan government is not material to the issue. If they can agitate the NE. so can we the Uighurs and Tibetans and that is what I am talking about!

Proxy wars are cheaper than real wars. Yes, China could play games with us too and like it or not, they are still at it. So why not pay them back in their own coin?

The NE insurgency was a US ploy with the Baptist Mission. Then the Chinese took over. Since we are cosying up with the US, it has cooled down!

18. Ray

Any suggestions?

What is the Chinese view?

If it was that easy should it not have been solved much earlier?

It is not jingoism, it is should we surrender our view?

Are we wrong in our views?

If we are, then the issue is solved! QED!

Please answer that!

I take it that you are suggesting that Tibet has always been a part of China and India is the trouble creator!

19. Officer of Engineers

Officer of Engineers Defence Professionals Defence Professionals

No big secret here. Take a look around where there are bases, North West China is the ONLY place where you can play to your heart's content without disturbing too many people's sleep.

The exercise has been announced for sometime and it's aimed to solve several tactical and logistical issues brought on by the problems identified during the Schian Earthquakes.

One thing clearly not addressed is still the reliance on the civilian transportation network, especially rail. That was one of the short comings identified during the Earthquakes.

As for the originial point, I don't see it. For Tibet to be an issue, it would have to be a million man fight ... and neither side is interested.

20. Flint

I'll remind you that India's official stand on Tibet says that it is indeed a part of China.

Now, we already have considerable leverage in the form of the Dalai Lama. I think that is enough for negotiating purposes, without trying to actively foment trouble in that province, or attempting to capture Lhasa.