Cricket Thread!

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
bangla needs 82 from 60 balls.... was sachin century worth today??? he wasted 40 balls for it

We are loosing becoz of sachin selfishness

Yeah sure, try to to find some time to blame bowlers if Sachin bashing is over.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
MUMBAI: Sachin Tendulkar does not want to predict whether his seemingly unconquerable record of 100 international centuries would ever be broken but the iconic cricketer hopes that as and when it happens, the feat is accomplished by a fellow Indian.

In a wide-ranging interaction with the media, the 38-year-old Tendulkar also said that he does not intend to retire anytime soon no matter what the critics have to say.

"I don't know. I guess all the records are meant to be broken but I hope it's an Indian. I don't think you can predict that (whether it will be surpassed) but I hope it's an Indian whenever it happens," Tendulkar, who reached the milestone during the recent Asia Cup, told reporters.

"I feel that when I retire is something that I would decide because when I started was not decided by someone else. Those who are advising me about retirement did not bring me in the team.

"I get my strength from my coaches and family. When I feel I don't have that, on that day, I will think of retirement. I feel those who say you should retire at the top are selfish because when you are at the top, you should serve the country instead of retiring," he said.

India went on to lose the match, that too against Bangladesh, in which Tendulkar got to the feat and he said the disappointment meant that the celebrations were muted.

"I don't think that we are celebrating that one match. Where I am right now took 23 years and not one match. I feel the result was very important. It was very disappointing. The day I got the hundred there was no celebration," he recalled.

For a player who has virtually every batting record that is there to be taken, Tendulkar said the biggest compliment for him was when the legendary Sir Don Bradman included him in his all-time Test XI.

"I think the best compliment was from Sir Don Bradman when he announced his all-time Test XI and I was part of that squad. That would be the best compliment," he said.

Talking about his journey so far, Tendulkar, the highest run-getter in both Tests and one-dayers, said his late father Ramesh Tendulkar was his idol growing up.

"My hero is my father because he is the one with whom everything started in my life. I follow my father. In cricket, even those who haven't scored a hundred were advising me but as long as it was in good intention, it was fine," he said.

When asked about India's early exit from the Asia Cup, Tendulkar said credit should also go to the rivals who played better than them.

"All three teams won two matches, it eventually boiled down to who beat whom. I want to clarify that Bangladesh are a good team and played well in all the four matches. The rival teams also come to win. Sometimes you play well but the other team plays better," he explained.

The diminutive right-hander said he does not have to prove anything now and would continue as long as he enjoys the game.

"I don't think I need to prove anything right now. I started playing this game because I loved it, I enjoy it. The passion for cricket was there. The dream was to play for India and win the World Cup, I don't think anything can be bigger than that," he said.

"I can't think of milestones. I have been able to play for India and win the World Cup. I don't know what is in store for me but my focus would be to just enjoy the game. I don't want to focus on what I have to achieve because I have already achieved what I wanted," he added.

Tendulkar also detailed the one year barren spell during which he got into 70s and 80s but somehow missed out on hundreds.

"At the time of the World Cup when I got to 99 hundreds, no one was discussing about my 100th hundred because the focus was on the World Cup. But after the World Cup, the media built on it and started asking. I was only focused on playing cricket like always. I just wanted to score runs," he recalled.

"But as time went by, people who were listening to the media, those people, excluding my friends and family, would wish me about the 100th hundred. But I felt cricket should be the focus and that is what I kept telling myself," Tendulkar said.

"I can say that from a cricketing point of view, it was a tough phase because the good wishes were not stopping. Now, at least they won't pray for my 100th ton and my ears will get some rest," he joked.

"I can't complain about all these good wishes." Talking about his own form in this one year, Tendulkar said, "I can say that there were patches when I didn't bat well, there were patches when I felt that I batted my best. I felt that sometimes you need luck to be on your side."

"Sometimes that luck factor was missing because as far as preparations were concerned, my commitment and passion was in place. I scored 100 out of 100 on that. But you don't always achieve the results that you dream of," he said.

"Something that is more important is not to lose hope. I did not lose hope, I continued trying my best. Here I only waited for a year but for the World Cup I waited for 22 years and it happened."

Tendulkar said being a celebrity, his struggles hogged the limelight even though every individual goes through tough times.

"There are going to be rough phases in life. I don't think there is anyone who hasn't experienced rough phases but they are personal. But because we are public figures, our rough phases are on camera. But I didn't lose faith in my ability and that is what has allowed me to be where I am."

Asked to assess himself, Tendulkar said he would leave that job to his fans and critics.

"I can't judge myself but definitely there was a dream to be regarded as one of the top players to have played the game. To be in that league that was my dream. I wanted to be right at the top or to be there in that group and I feel I am there but if you ask me to judge myself, I can't do that. That's for others to say," he said.

Asked to compare the pressure he felt at the time of his debut hundred and the 100th hundred, Tendulkar said it is incomparable.

"I think in 94' when I did a press conference, even half of the journalists present right now were not there. There were few expectations. Today the expectations are a lot more. Even if I score 70-80, it is a disappointment like in Delhi last year against the West Indies.

"It's about how you look at things. My first century and this one can't be compared because expectations are different," he said.

Like him, the Indian team has also gone through a tough phase since winning the World Cup in April last year. Tendulkar said the key to recovery lies in not losing hope.

"Wherever we go, we want to win. When you lose the number one ranking, it means someone is playing better cricket than you, you need to perform better and win. That is what we go out for. At no stage should we lose hope. It is a rough patch but we can overcome that obstacle, we require hard work and we will do that," he said.

"I think our team has had a few injuries. During the England tour, we suffered because of injuries. I don't want to give excuses because whoever plays, he is expected to do well. I can't pinpoint reasons but we can get better.

"I don't know how to put it across. I don't think you can find solutions in 3-4 sentences. It is a process. When we became number one, it was a process and we will have to repeat that," he added.

Talking about the state of the game in general, Tendulkar said Test cricket should remain the pinnacle.

"There has to be more importance to Test cricket. This format is very challenging for which you need planning. You need to play at a different pace at different times. If you ask any player, most would tell you that Tests have to be number one and I have no different opinion," he said.

Asked about the prospects of his playing the 2015 World Cup to be held in Australia and New Zealand, Tendulkar refused to be drawn into any predictions but clearly did not rule playing in the tournament.

"When this question was asked in 2007 (about the 2011 World Cup), it was tough for me to answer. It's the same situation.

"I don't know what to say about 2015, if people keep praying for me, that means a lot for me. I will keep trying, the rest is in god's hands. I just want to enjoy the game. I don't want to set targets," he added.
No one should tell me when to retire: Sachin Tendulkar - The Times of India

Apollyon

Führer
Country flag
Asia Cup final over incident: Pakistan unhappy over Bangladesh appeal

KARACHI: Pakistan's cricket board on Sunday expressed disappointment with Bangladesh for considering appealing an incident in the last over of the Asia Cup final which they believe cost them the match.

Bangladesh on Saturday said it would appeal to the Asian Cricket Council (ACC) to review the last over, accusing Pakistani paceman Aizaz Cheema of deliberately blocking batsman Mahmudullah Riyad from taking a second run.

Pakistan beat Bangladesh in a thrilling final on Thursday by two runs to lift the four-nation Asia Cup.

Pakistan Cricket Board director Intikhab Alam called Bangladesh's stance "disappointing".

"It's really sad and disappointing to hear the statement from BCB ( Bangladesh Cricket Board) official," Alam told AFP.

"It was a thrilling final and everyone praised Bangladesh for their fight and their decision to appeal is just an after thought after the result.

"The fact of the matter is that no match umpire of referee complained about this to Pakistan management and Bangladesh's complain will spoil a wonderful final which everyone enjoyed," said Alam.

BCB said it would seek five penalty runs for deliberate obstruction and a reversal of the result in their favour.

"We have seen video footage of the incident repeatedly. It is clear that Cheema blocked Riyad deliberately," Enayet Hossain Siraj, chairman of the BCB operations committee, told reporters.

"We will lodge a written appeal to the ACC very soon and will also give a copy to the International Cricket Council."

Bangladesh is currently considering an invitation to tour Pakistan for a limited over series next month.

They sent a delegation to assess security arrangements in Pakistan for the tour but said a final decision will only be made by the country's government.

Should Bangladesh go they will be the first Test playing nation to tour Pakistan since terrorist attacks on the Sri Lankan team bus in Lahore three years ago.

The attacks, which left eight people dead and seven visiting players and an assistant coach wounded, suspended all international cricket in Pakistan as teams refused to tour the troubled country because of security fears.
Asia Cup final over incident: Pakistan unhappy over Bangladesh appeal - The Times of India

:lawl::lawl:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Yeah they should appeal. Pakis are bloody cheats. Who knows he may have done it on purpose :troll:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
VJD system mastermind accuses ICC of bias

Its going to escalate further. Sunny Gavaskar has already made it a big issue earlier.

NEW DELHI/KOCHI: V Jayadevan, the Thrissur-based engineer who developed the VJD System for calculating target scores in interrupted limited-overs cricket, has written to International Cricket Council (ICC) chief Sharad Pawar asking for an independent assessment of his work.

He insists a 'neutral' comparison with the prevalent Duckworth-Lewis Method will prove the superiority of his calculations. "Ever since its introduction in 1998 at the international level, the Duckworth/Lewis Method has come under criticism. Even in its 14th year, however, it continues to be implemented by ICC," Jayadevan's letter says.

Last week, the ICC cricket committee rejected the VJD Method again, leading to former India captain Sunil Gavaskar suggesting in his TOI column that the panelists were biased and that Jayadevan was being discriminated against.

In the letter, Jayadevan talks about his 12-year-old fight to highlight inadequacies in the official D/L Method. Giving his own version of the politics behind cricket's complicated mathematical formulae, Jayadevan writes, "In 2005, as directed by ICC, an expert conducted a comparative study of both systems and submitted a report favouring D/L. The report...was full of factual errors. The natural inclination of the reviewer was also very apparent, and I pointed these discrepancies out to the ICC.

"Mr David Richardson, the ICC's general manager (cricket), found some valid points in my argument and invited me to Hong Kong for a presentation of my alternative system. The expert I mentioned earlier was again a member on the panel that heard my presentation. When I was pointing out the errors in the D/L system, the expert was getting visibly annoyed. I felt as if he had not come as a referee but as a spokesman for the D/L.

"After the presentation, the panel entrusted the same expert to make a comparative study between VJD System and a modified system (Wincoda 3.0) that Duckworth and Lewis were going to submit. I expressed my unhappiness over engaging the same person to do the study again, but the ICC assured me that it would take unbiased decisions."

Jayadevan insists the "unbiased decision" never came to pass. Talking about the recent rejection of his method, he says, "I had requested Mr Richardson to invite me for the recent ICC cricket committee meeting because the other expert was on the committee and would do everything possible to defend his report on what is a very technical subject.

"I feel that it is the responsibility of the ICC to implement the best available system for the cricket community. I humbly request you to take necessary steps to get the two systems evaluated by a neutral person, an expert neither from India nor from England," Jaydevan requests Pawar.

VJD system mastermind accuses ICC of bias - The Times of India

Raj30

Bolt may play in Australia's T20 Big Bash : Cricketnext
Melbourne: Negotiations are underway for cricket-mad sprint king Usain Bolt to play in Australia's Twenty20 Big Bash League, with Shane Warne leading the campaign to bring him to Melbourne.
Bolt, hailed by International Olympic Committee chief Jacques Rogge as the greatest sprinter of all time after three gold medals in London, played junior cricket before turning to the track and has long voiced a love for the game. Continue reading below

1 comments

getbauo wow. I am sure he will better Gayle in sixes
09:20, Aug 13, 2012Comment

He said he wanted to play and had spoken to the Australian former Test leg-spinner.
"He (Warne) contacted me and asked me about if I am serious and if I really want to do it then he can put in a few words that should get it done," Bolt told Australia's Channel Nine television late Sunday.
"So we will see if I get the time off. I will try."
Cricket is hugely popular in the West Indies with Bolt's Jamaica one its strongest teams, producing greats such as Frank Worrell, Michael Holding, Courtney Walsh, and Chris Gayle.
"Twenty20, I love it," said the sprinter, who describes himself as an all-rounder.
"Just the fact that it is so exciting, it's about going hard the whole time, not just about playing shots. It's about being aggressive and I like that style of batsman.
"If I get the chance I will definitely try because I know it's going to be a lot of fun. I don't know how good I am. I will probably have to get a lot of practice in," he added.
Warne is the marquee player for the Melbourne Stars franchise and he has begun a social media campaign to win support for Bolt to play with the team.
"Cats out the bag, we've spoken. Olympic legend @usainbolt would like to have a crack at 20/20 for the Melb stars 2012 Please retweet guys," tweeted Warne.
"I think the Melb Stars colours suits him hahah," he added, referring to their green and white kit. "Let's keep the momentum going & I will keep trying to make it happen!"
According to Australian media, Bolt clean bowled the then West Indies captain Chris Gayle in a charity match in 2009, having earlier hit him down the ground for six.
The eight-team Big Bash League begins on December 7.

cobra commando

Tharki regiment
Country flag
Mohali Test: Shikhar Dhawan
slams quickest Test ton on
debut ever
Chasing Australia's first innings total of 408, Dhawan dealt in boundaries and took the Australian attack apart without much regard to the pace of the deliveries.

Mohali: India's Shikhar Dhawan blazed his way to a quick-fire ton on Test debut against Australia. His 85-ball century is the quickest ever for any batsman on debut, surpassing Matt Prior's 105-ball ton. Chasing Australia's first innings total of 408, Dhawan dealt in boundaries (21 till century) and took the Australian attack apart without much regard to the pace of the deliveries. Both spinners and pacers were massacred but hardly any of his shots appeared un-orthodox. Batting with Murali Vijay who too, slammed his fair share of boundaries, the Delhi batsman turned the visitors into spectators as fans at the PCA Stadium did not get much rest from cheering the two batsmen. There were some close calls with an outside edge flying between slips and gully while Dhawan was still in his 90s. Luck though favours brave and the south-paw showcased immense courage, interspaced with talented strokeplay.

Mohali Test: Shikhar Dhawan slams quickest Test ton on debut ever | India vs Australia 2013 - News | NDTVSports.com

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Jennifer Lopez dropped from performing in front of 60m people in India over diva demands | Mail Online

Jennifer Lopez was dropped from performing in front of tens of millions of viewers at the Indian Premier League opening ceremony after her camp demanded she have her own plane.

Her manager Benny Medina reportedly asked organisers to make a private plane available to the superstar and pay for hotel rooms for her extensive entourage, including stylists and a personal chef.

Sources told NY Post that the Pepsi IPL booked rapper Pitbull after refusing to meet her diva-like demands.

It quoted a source who said the list of demands was 'outrageous'.

The source told NY Post: 'She effectively priced herself out of the event. It was an idiotic move because the audience for this event is huge. It's like the Super Bowl halftime show.'

Simple_Guy

India beat South Africa by 26 runs in the first match of the Champions Trophy.

Shikhar Dhawan struck his first ODI century.

Blackwater

Pakis in Birmingham holding England flag during India-England finals in champions trophy.

bloody pakis, are like dogs na ghar ke na ghat ke:p:p:p

SPIEZ

Country flag
Raina gets out yet again to another short ball.

High time for Raina to be dropped from Indian Cricket.

northernarunachalpradesh

Raina gets out yet again to another short ball.

High time for Raina to be dropped from Indian Cricket.

Raina is no use in aussie conditions better give pujara chance in those conditions?Pujara will give stability so that Top three can play their natural game.

Why are Indians going with 4 pinch hitters Dhoni,Raina,Jadeja,Yuvraj?

Raina and jadeja .dont complement each other.there should be only one of them at any given time or match.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles