Cricket Thread!

thethinker

Country flag
OK? What does that have to do with what I said?

You know none of you guys defending Indian team today is ready to say that they played well that day and lost. Why? Because they dint:rolleyes:

Again, losing or winning is all part of sport. But the most important part of it is the part of playing the sport well. Did India play well that day?
Losing and winning is a part of sport.

But to tag it as "national disgrace" isn't what rational people do.

thethinker

Country flag
A good team should play good sport consistently dude. Come on now.

Indians have the right to demand that their team be the best in the world - considering how much they get back from Indians
Define consistently please in context of this WC.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Define consistently please in context of this WC.
With or without WC- consistent good performance in batting and bowling.

Aus winning consistently in the previous world cups? Even when they lost, they lost with a fight? Thats consistency.

I am actually glad that Indians have stopped worshipping their cricketers and subject them to this criticism despite Indian team making to the semis. Such a thing would not have happened in 2000s. This is a step in the positive direction. And people like you think thats a bad thing:rolleyes:

To add, Indian cricketers should get into their head that playing well in one or two matches is not going to save them from criticism if they played horribly in the next matches. Its about time we moved past this mediocrity and demand the best atleast in cricket. There is no excuse to playing bad in cricket now.

Last edited:

thethinker

Country flag
With or without WC- consistent good performance in batting and bowling.

Aus winning consistently in the previous world cups? Even when they lost, they lost with a fight? Thats consistency.

I am actually glad that Indians have stopped worshipping their cricketers and subject them to this criticism despite Indian team making to the semis. Such a thing would not have happened in 2000s. This is a step in the positive direction. And people like you think thats a bad thing:rolleyes:
Bad thing is media channels using reactions of jingo fans to score TRPs.

This wasn't the 2007 WC where the performance was appaling. Yet using #shameinsydney and trying to trend it for own gains is selfish.

And yes it is due to "people like me" that #shameinsydney died and #shameontimesnow trended.:rolleyes:

Good to see that Indians have stopped blindly criticising their cricketers based on a single match.

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
Difference between a true fan and a fanatic is, a fan knows that in a game between two evenly matched teams either one can win, and if his team loses (whatever the performance may be) he may get upset and disappointed, but he won't brush every previous achievement of the team down the toilet and accept the defeat of his team gracefully with hope for future improvement. And, a fanatic will do neither of it. They will rage, rave and rile and do little to nothing that can help.

The folks, who are riling against the team, are pathetic to say the least. Have you not had any bad day in your whole life or career? Cricket is a game, not a life and death situation. And, BTW, you are feel let down? Guess what the most pain is felt by the 16 men who wore the blues yesterday and had hope of holding the cup. You will forget this defeat soon enough, but all those 16 men are never. If you have any respect for those men for what they have been achieving, despite this failure, you would gracefully accept their failure of this time.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Bad thing is media channels using reactions of jingo fans to score TRPs.

This wasn't the 2007 WC where the performance was appaling. Yet using #shameinsydney and trying to trend it for own gains is selfish.

And yes it is due to "people like me" that #shameinsydney died and #shameontimesnow trended.:rolleyes:

Good to see that Indians have stopped blindly criticising their cricketers based on a single match.
Again, if your gripe is with the MSM, then it is a different issue, and I dont know how MSM is supposed express their disappointment.

But if you are ok with the team performance on their match with Aus, then I think you can be happy with their performance. You can content with its mediocrity.

But I am not and if many Indians want a consistent good performance from Indian team , then its a good thing. And dont change the goal post- you asked what is consistency and I gave an example of consistency. As I said, Indian team whether it wins or lose should give a consistent good performance. Its about time we stopped being mediocre in Cricket at least.

thethinker

Country flag
Again, if your gripe is with the MSM, then it is a different issue, and I dont know how MSM is supposed express their disappointment.

But if you are ok with the team performance on their match with Aus, then I think you can be happy with their performance. You can content with its mediocrity.

But I am not and if many Indians want a consistent good performance from Indian team , then its a good thing. And dont change the goal post- you asked what is consistency and I gave an example of consistency. As I said, Indian team whether it wins or lose should give a consistent good performance. Its about time we stopped being mediocre in Cricket at least.
What goal post am I changing?

For you, India winning 7 matches consecutively in WC and consistently bowling out opposition and all that won't matter.

Such an inconsistent Indian team. So mediocre too. :rolleyes:

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Difference between a true fan and a fanatic is, a fan knows that in a game between two evenly matched teams either one can win, and if his team loses (whatever the performance may be) he may get upset and disappointed, but he won't brush every previous achievement of the team down the toilet and accept the defeat of his team gracefully with hope for future improvement. And, a fanatic will do neither of it. They will rage, rave and rile and do little to nothing that can help.

The folks, who are riling against the team, are pathetic to say the least. Have you not had any bad day in your whole life or career? Cricket is a game, not a life and death situation. And, BTW, you are feel let down? .
OK dude. you can call us fanatics or whatever but I am glad that such people have started appearing. This is a step in the right direction. The time for domination of India is only beginning and we will demand such domination as we think we deserve it. If we are to be blamed as being fanatic for demanding the best, then so be it.
Guess what the most pain is felt by the 16 men who wore the blues yesterday and had hope of holding the cup. You will forget this defeat soon enough, but all those 16 men are never. If you have any respect for those men for what they have been achieving, despite this failure, you would gracefully accept their failure of this time
Again, if they get respect when they win- they deserve scorn when they perform badly. Both goes hand in hand. You cant have it both ways - .ie appreciation when they win and no criticism when they lose

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
What goal post am I changing?

For you, India winning 7 matches consecutively in WC and consistently bowling out opposition and all that won't matter.

Such an inconsistent Indian team. So mediocre too. :rolleyes:
Such a team would not lose the game with 100 runs. Sorry , it is a mediocre performance on that day to say the least.

And yes, such a game once every five good games is not consistency

Aus lost to NZ in league- still that was a well fought game- consistency. NZ might lose the final, but I am pretty sure they would give a big fight if that is the case - consistency.

A good team should be consistent. Indian cricket fans deserves such consistent good performance from Indian cricket team

Last edited:

thethinker

Country flag
Such a team would not lose the game with 100 runs. Sorry , it is a mediocre performance on that day to say the least.

And yes, such a game once every five good games is not consistency

Aus lost to NZ in league- still that was a well fought game- consistency. NZ might lose the final, but I am pretty sure they would give a big fight if that is the case - consistency.

A good team should be consistent. Indian cricket fans deserves such consistent good performance from Indian cricket team
This sums up the expectations

http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/sports/23814-cricket-thread-23.html#post1022062

"For blind jingoistic Indian cricket fans with no rationale or cricketing sense, ideal matches would be :

India chasing down huge totals and losing only by 5-10 runs
India bowling out opposing teams for less than 200
India making 300 in every match batting first and bowling out opposing teams for less than 250

Anything less than that would as per them be a bad performance regardless of results.

If that doesn't happen, then brickbats would come out. "

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
OK dude. you can call us fanatics or whatever but I am glad that such people have started appearing. This is a step in the right direction. The time for domination of India is only beginning and we will demand such domination as we think we deserve it. If we are to be blamed as being fanatic for demanding the best, then so be it.

Again, if they get respect when they win- they deserve scorn when they perform badly. Both goes hand in hand. You cant have it both ways - .ie appreciation when they win and no criticism when they lose
WTF man!!!! Calm down!!!!! It was just a game for crying out loud!!

You just equated a World fu&king cup match with national interest of the nation?!!!! Are you serious? Why do you forget that the other team has also come to win, and that team is pretty damn good, too.

Be mad, but don't be a nitwit imbecile. You are better than this.

thethinker

Country flag
Good detailed analysis of the Ind-Aus semis.

Smith ton sets up trans-Tasman finale | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

Four months ago, India arrived in Australia as holders of both the Border-Gavaskar Trophy and the World Cup. Then they ran into Steven Smith, who ensured they will fly home with neither. Smith tormented India with a century in every Test of the summer, and like the ghost of series past, returned to haunt them with another hundred in this World Cup semi-final. The summer of Steve just keeps rolling on.

It will end at the MCG on Sunday in either World Cup triumph over New Zealand, or heartbreak at losing the trophy to the co-hosts of this six-week event. Of course Smith was not alone in delivering Australia their seventh win from seven World Cup semi-finals - Aaron Finch gave batting support, Mitchell Johnson provided invaluable late runs and key wickets - but Smith was at the heart of it.

His 105 was a class above most of the batting in this game, and set Australia on the path to a match-winning 328 for 7. In the field, he claimed wickets with his eyes and ears. Smith appeared to instigate a five-star review when there was virtually no appeal for a caught-behind off Mitchell Starc's bowling; snicko found the ball had kissed Ajinkya Rahane's edge on the way to Brad Haddin.

Rahane was on 44 at the time and had put together a 70-run stand with MS Dhoni that had Australia a fraction nervous. Dhoni's calmness at the crease will always worry his opponents, but losing Rahane and then Ravindra Jadeja - Smith's throw from backward point found Jadeja short of his crease - placed enormous pressure on Dhoni.

The required run-rate began to look like an accelerated adolescence, every over representing a year: it's 11, now it's 12, now it's 13, now it's 14, now it's 15. Dhoni thumped a couple of consecutive sixes off Shane Watson but he could do only so much, and fell for a run-a-ball 65 when he was the victim of a direct hit from Glenn Maxwell.

The end came quickly. James Faulkner bowled R Ashwin and Mohit Sharma from consecutive balls, and Starc rattled Umesh Yadav's stumps in the next over to secure the 95-run win and a place in the final. The result was a relief for Australia.

India needed the highest successful chase of this tournament, but possess some of the finest chasers in world cricket. And a sea of blue around the SCG created the impression this was a home match for India. A 76-run opening stand between Shikhar Dhawan and Rohit Sharma betrayed no nerves from them. But Dhawan picked out deep extra cover off Josh Hazlewood for 45 and then came a key moment: Virat Kohli top-edged a hook off Johnson to be caught by Haddin for 1.

The loss of Rohit, bowled by Johnson for 34, and then Suresh Raina, who edged behind off Faulkner for 7, boosted Australia, but Dhoni's presence was always a threat. He just had nobody to go with him for the big partnership required, the kind Australia had. The 182 that Smith and Finch added for the second wicket in Australia's innings was the key stand of the game.

No other Australia partnership reached fifty, or lasted five overs. India's bowlers fought well in the later stages to keep Australia to 328 for 7, a challenging target but a gettable one, considering high 300s were plausible while Smith and Finch were there with 197 for 1 after 34 overs.

Shami found early swing and Yadav neared 150kph, but only one wicket fell early. Then came that partnership in which Smith batted like a man who had never been out, Finch like a man who had never been in. Australia's top order has looked much sturdier since Smith moved up to No.3 and so it did again. In only one match in any format against India this summer has Smith failed to score a hundred.

His footwork was the equal of any great boxer; he used his crease to manufacture the length he required, including going back off Jadeja to pull one of his two sixes. Smith's precise pulling was a feature of his innings. Of his 105 runs, 77 came through the leg side as he found the gaps without much trouble. His fifth hundred of the summer against India came from 89 balls with a pull for four off Shami.

Smith was eventually out hooking to deep square leg off Yadav for 105 from 93 balls; India's bouncer finally worked when they got it head high. Between them, Smith and Finch had generally been able to keep the runs ticking over even in periods where the boundaries did not flow so freely, although the spin of Jadeja and Ashwin proved harder to get away.

Finch's 81 was valuable to Australia but it was far from his best-looking innings. His tournament began with a hundred against England but since then he has been scratchy, and was again here. Whereas Smith finessed, Finch forced.

Australia hoped Finch would launch from the platform over which he had laboured; instead he was another victim of Yadav's quick short ball when he pulled to midwicket. The dismissal of Maxwell was key in halting Australia's push, and was a fitting reward for Ashwin, whose canniness kept Australia to 42 runs off his 10 overs. Maxwell's departure came in a period of chaos in which India claimed 4 for 51 from 49 legal deliveries.

Yadav and Mohit especially led India's fightback with regular wickets: Clarke made 10, Faulkner 21 and Watson 28, but they all fell to the fast men. Johnson crunched a late 27 not out off 9 balls to add to the daunting nature of the chase.

And as the cricket cliché goes, in big games it was all about runs on the board.

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
If your criticism is of the MSM, then may be you have a point. But I dont know how else MSM should express their disappointment with Indian performance.

But I am actually mad that Indian team dint play well that day and people here were mostly mocking the people who are mad at the performance of Indian team. Thats stupid
There are two things:

1. Criticism of the MSM. And this criticism is perfectly valid. Don't we know how the MSM distorts, manipulates, sensationalizes and lies? Media channels can express their disappointment, but they have to stop their hysterical TRP-games. Especially Arnab. An anchor sitting there and bullying everyone on his show, creating hysterical manufactured outrage just to shove his agenda down the nation's throat - that's Times Now for you. Arnab has become just too powerful, and his wings need to be clipped. His aggressive and hysterical reporting on the DK Ravi issue had the potential to bring down the Karnataka government. Lets not discuss the merits of the case right now - the point is that he can use his power for good as well as bad. He did a show on those non-existent "Church attacks" and screamed that "India will face international isolation if this continues", "why can't we protect our Christian minorities", "Are we doing enough" - and as usual bashed everyone on the show who dared try to suggest that there is no "persecution" and 11 out of 12 "Church attacks" have been proved to be completely false and non-existent.

We expect our MSM to be mature, even-headed, even-handed and impartial. And stop their hysterical lynch mob mentality.

2. Disagreement with some cricket fans. This is a completely different issue. I disagree with you about mocking/scorning the team because I think their performance has been above par. But hey, there are 1000 opinions in 1000 different people, and you are entitled to your own. Personally I feel that the team needs to be measured at an overall level, with a broader perspective. Grand victories in 7/8 matches is good enough for me, it is consistent enough. Before the WC however, the Indian team was performing pathetically, and I would have agreed with you at that time. Now, if India continues performing badly in subsequent matches, my opinion will change. But as of now, I am more than satisfied with our performance in the WC. I just don't agree that their performance has been "mediocre".

But you can disagree, to each his own.

thethinker

Country flag
OT but any way

If any one wondered how facing genuine fast international bowlers would look like as a batsman, here is a GoPro helmet footage through batsman's eyes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
WTF man!!!! Calm down!!!!! It was just a game for crying out loud!!

You just equated a World fu&king cup match with national interest of the nation?!!!! Are you serious? Why do you forget that the other team has also come to win, and that team is pretty damn good, too.

Be mad, but don't be a nitwit imbecile. You are better than this.
Again, if you think you are satisfied with their performance, you can be content to praise their performance. I am not and I dont think they performed well. If I am a fanatic for that, so be it

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
There are two things:

1. Criticism of the MSM. And this criticism is perfectly valid. Don't we know how the MSM distorts, manipulates, sensationalizes and lies? Media channels can express their disappointment, but they have to stop their hysterical TRP-games. Especially Arnab. An anchor sitting there and bullying everyone on his show, creating hysterical manufactured outrage just to shove his agenda down the nation's throat - that's Times Now for you. Arnab has become just too powerful, and his wings need to be clipped. His aggressive and hysterical reporting on the DK Ravi issue had the potential to bring down the Karnataka government. Lets not discuss the merits of the case right now - the point is that he can use his power for good as well as bad. He did a show on those non-existent "Church attacks" and screamed that "India will face international isolation if this continues", "why can't we protect our Christian minorities", "Are we doing enough" - and as usual bashed everyone on the show who dared try to suggest that there is no "persecution" and 11 out of 12 "Church attacks" have been proved to be completely false and non-existent.

We expect our MSM to be mature, even-headed, even-handed and impartial. And stop their hysterical lynch mob mentality.

2. Disagreement with some cricket fans. This is a completely different issue. I disagree with you about mocking/scorning the team because I think their performance has been above par. But hey, there are 1000 opinions in 1000 different people, and you are entitled to your own. Personally I feel that the team needs to be measured at an overall level, with a broader perspective. Grand victories in 7/8 matches is good enough for me, it is consistent enough. Before the WC however, the Indian team was performing pathetically, and I would have agreed with you at that time. Now, if India continues performing badly in subsequent matches, my opinion will change. But as of now, I am more than satisfied with our performance in the WC. I just don't agree that their performance has been "mediocre".

But you can disagree, to each his own.
1. I agree with that.

2. I dont agree with that - that their performance was above par. We should be expecting more from them. Anyway, agree to disagree.

Free Karma

(Puma ad)
But But..doesnt he care for millions of Pak fans who have been free from before the 26th? Only ask for Indian fan support? What about India-Pak equal equal :p

rockey 71

12:00 AM, March 30, 2015 /

Kamal questions ICC role

Sports Reporter

Amidst Australia's magical moments in Melbourne yesterday, the International Cricket Council (ICC), in an anti-climax, allowed its chairman Narayanswami Srinivasan to hand over the World Cup trophy to Michael Clarke, a task supposed to be undertaken by its sitting president AHM Mustafa Kamal.

As per the ICC constitution it is the president who is supposed to give away the trophy to the winning captain.

The practice is one that has been followed since the 1999 World Cup. However to the dismay of many in Bangladesh's cricketing fraternity, that opportunity was taken away from the president allegedly due to the ill-advised comments Kamal, a former Bangladesh Cricket Board president, made following the Bangladesh-India quarterfinal.

Kamal, who was not even on the stage during the post-match presentation and also wasn't given a place in the president's box, described the move as unconstitutional.

"According to the constitution it is my responsibility to hand over the trophy. This [move] speaks of the integrity of the institution. I don't want to say much now because there are legal issues here. However once I return to Bangladesh, I will, through the media, let the whole cricketing community know as to what's happening in the ICC," a distraught Kamal told The Daily Star over his cell phone from Melbourne yesterday.

"I would have probably been giving the trophy to the champions today [Sunday] but for that I would have had to betray my country. You all know why I wasn't able to give the trophy. That's because I spoke on behalf of my country; I spoke for cricket; I spoke for the ICC. That is the reason why I couldn't give the trophy," he added.

Earlier Kamal had criticised some questionable umpiring decisions in the quarterfinal clash between Bangladesh and India. He described the umpiring as 'poor' and also accused the umpires of having 'an agenda' during the game. He was particularly harsh on a no-ball decision that went against Bangladesh and also criticised the ICC for churning out phrases on the screens at the ground during the game that supported India.

"I think that the fact that I couldn't give the trophy today [Sunday] won't tarnish Bangladesh's image. On the contrary it will lift our image. The people who have done this job have shown how small they can get," said Kamal.

"I am not against any country. All I did was point out the wrongdoings. There are times when you have to put pressure for the right things to happen. That is what I did," he added.

It was learnt that the decision to usurp Kamal's role was taken during a quickly-arranged 'informal' meeting on Saturday afternoon with Srinivasan, who actually did not like Kamal's outburst but refrained from making any comment publicly, pulling all the strings. According to sources, Kamal was asked to explain about his conduct (outburst) in the meeting and was then asked to leave quite unceremoniously, when his conduct was to be discussed. He was also supposedly asked to provide a written explanation.

Despite communicating with the ICC media manager Samiul Hassan via email, The Daily Star could not get any official response on this sensitive issue.

"This wasn't even an official meeting. I was informed that I had to meet the chairman 45 minutes prior to the meeting. If it was an official meeting then a proper announcement would have been made at the ICC's office," remarked Kamal.

BCB president Nazmul Hassan Papon, who is now in Melbourne, had confirmed that he didn't attend the meeting. He had further confirmed that it was in the meeting that Kamal's role was seized by the ICC chairman.

While Kamal's comments, alleging that the umpires had 'pre-decided' some of their decisions were uncalled for, the recent episode however, further reflects the power dynamics in the ICC. It was an unexpected move that questions the roots of the organisation that governs the system.

Kamal, the first president after the ICC's restructuring, has three months of his one-year term left.

http://www.thedailys...-icc-role-74515

Global Defence

Articles