Cousin marriage' doubles gene risk for babies: Study

Blackwater

PARIS: First cousins who marry run twice the risk of having a child with genetic abnormalities, according to the findings of a study in the English city of Bradford, published Friday in The Lancet.
The city, which has a high proportion of South Asian immigrants and their descendants among its population, served as a microcosm for examining the risk of blood relative couplings.
About 37 per cent of marriages among people of Pakistani origin in the study involved first cousins, compared to less than one per cent of "British unions", said the researchers.
University of Leeds investigator Eamonn Sheridan led a team that pored over data from the "Born in Bradford" study, which tracks the health of 13,500 babies born at the city's main hospital between 2007 and 2011.
Out of 11,396 babies for whom family details were known, 18 per cent were the offspring of first-cousin unions, mainly among people of Pakistani heritage.
A total of 386 babies – three per cent – were born with anomalies ranging from problems in the nervous, respiratory and digestive systems, to urinary and genital defects and cleft palates.
This Bradford rate was nearly twice the national average, said the study.
Other factors blamed for genetic flaws, such as alcohol consumption, smoking and social deprivation, can be ruled out, it said.
"Thirty-one per cent of all anomalies in children of Pakistani origin could be attributed to consanguinity" or marriage between first cousins, said the study.
The authors say theirs was the first study to delve into the causes of congenital abnormalities in a broad population.
Co-researcher Neil Small said that in absolute terms, the risk from consanguineous marriage was still small.
The study noted, in fact, that the risk was about the same as for older white British mothers – an age deemed to be 34 years and above.
Even so, "sensitive advice (about) avoidable risks" should be disseminated to communities and couples in consanguineous unions, he said. The findings should also inform health professionals in antenatal care and genetic testing.
The paper said 90 infant deaths a year among Pakistani mothers in England and Wales could be attributed to congenital anomalies.
Consanguinity is a deeply rooted social phenomenon, The Lancet noted.
"More than one billion people worldwide currently (live) in communities where consanguineous marriages are commonplace."

'Cousin marriage' doubles gene risk for babies: Study – The Express Tribune

TrueSpirit

Throughout South India, there is a common practice of girls being married to their maternal uncles. In case, the maternal uncle is not available, his son becomes the groom to his first-cousin.

This trend is prevalent among all communities (Tamil/Kannada), cutting across class divide: from the Royal families (take, Mysore royal family genealogy for instance) to the economically weakest sections.

Now that it has been widespread since centuries, is there any risk in doing that ?

TrueSpirit

But, in my limited experience, I have not seen any of the problems (listed in wiki link) arising out of it, in Southern India. While I personally know a plethora of such marriages, in my erstwhile locality & office employees. I mean, it seems to be the only acceptable norm.

If it could lead to these issues, why are such marriages popular in the first place ? I mean, what is the rationale behind it...

Further, it is common in Islamic societies, as well. So, do they experience any problem ?

Now, had they experienced any negative fallout, they could have stopped already, right ? I am clueless :confused:

datguy79

Throughout South India, there is a common practice of girls being married to their maternal uncles. In case, the maternal uncle is not available, his son becomes the groom to his first-cousin.

This trend is prevalent among all communities (Tamil/Kannada), cutting across class divide: from the Royal families (take, Mysore royal family genealogy for instance) to the economically weakest sections.

Now that it has been widespread since centuries, is there any risk in doing that ?
It is like a 4% percent risk instead of a 2% risk in normal marriages. Of course in some cultures people overdo it and it becomes a problem.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Many states in US allow first cousin marriage, but a few limit it to those past childbearing age.

Blackwater

i think first cousin marriage is more of economic issue than social.

my thought

TrueSpirit

i think first cousin marriage is more of economic issue than social.

my thought
Royal families & richest of the rich in Bangalore do that (e.g. with 7 apartment complexes/buildings in a single colony)

And, the bride does not have to be necessarily uneducated one. I know of women working in officer cadre in DRDO/BEL/HAL/BEML & top MNC's, marrying their uncles who were usually 15-20 years older to them.

In fact, that seemed to be the only accepted norm. Any digression from this norm was not visible to me in my limited stay of 3 years. To say that witnessing this rampant phenomena was a shocking revelation for us, would be a huge understatement.

I lived near Indiranagar where layouts of these organizations (DRDO & DPSU's) were next door & there was routine interaction with them (most people were inter-related blood-relatives anyway, so everyone seemed to know everyone else).

Last edited:

TrueSpirit

This was the norm in European royalty for centuries.
Yeah, I checked that today.

However, for us (zero interface with South India), it was the culture shock of our lives. Something that my relatives up North & elsewhere still do not believe. Even I wouldn't have believed it, had I not seen it for myself. But, I guess, all posters apart from me are already aware of this phenomena.

Country flag
Nature likes genetic diversity the greater the diversity the stronger the progeny. I know my
Grandmother told me in her time people from the same village were not allowed to marry.

Das ka das

Tihar Jail
Banned
Royal families & richest of the rich in Bangalore do that (e.g. with 7 apartment complexes/buildings in a single colony)

And, the bride does not have to be necessarily uneducated one. I know of women working in officer cadre in DRDO/BEL/HAL/BEML & top MNC's, marrying their uncles who were usually 15-20 years older to them.

In fact, that seemed to be the only accepted norm. Any digression from this norm was not visible to me in my limited stay of 3 years. To say that witnessing this rampant phenomena was a shocking revelation for us, would be a huge understatement.

I lived near Indiranagar where layouts of these organizations (DRDO & DPSU's) were next door & there was routine interaction with them (most people were inter-related blood-relatives anyway, so everyone seemed to know everyone else).
Don't South Indians routinely marry their cousins?

TrueSpirit

Don't South Indians routinely marry their cousins?
@Das ka das: From my extremely limited experience (3 years), it is a sort of last resort.

That is, only when the maternal uncle (Mama) is not available. There are many on DFI who live in these states & can share the details. I am no authority on this.

Last edited by a moderator:

TrueSpirit

Nature likes genetic diversity the greater the diversity the stronger the progeny. I know my
Grandmother told me in her time people from the same village were not allowed to marry.
Yes, in most Brahman, Thakur & Jat communities, the custom is strictly observed. Again, I am speaking only about North India.

Sabir

DFI TEAM
There are still some places in India we often read about. Again there are places where cousin marriage is common.

PredictablyMalicious

Punjabi
Banned
But, in my limited experience, I have not seen any of the problems (listed in wiki link) arising out of it, in Southern India. While I personally know a plethora of such marriages, in my erstwhile locality & office employees. I mean, it seems to be the only acceptable norm.

If it could lead to these issues, why are such marriages popular in the first place ? I mean, what is the rationale behind it...

Further, it is common in Islamic societies, as well. So, do they experience any problem ?

Now, had they experienced any negative fallout, they could have stopped already, right ? I am clueless :confused:
That is disgusting and should be banned

Blackwater

This was the norm in European royalty for centuries.

royal families cousin marriage is to save huge ancestral property

TrueSpirit

royal families cousin marriage is to save huge ancestral property
And, there must be similar explanations for middle-class & poorest families as well, right ?

So, it is a norm in South India, rather than an exception.

I am still waiting for someone with experience to answer this.

Blackwater

And, there must be similar explanations for middle-class & poorest families as well, right ?

So, it is a norm in South India, rather than an exception.

I am still waiting for someone with experience to answer this.

wat ever it is. it makes u defective

Global Defence

New threads

Articles