Could Sri Lanka be a Indian State?

captscooby81

Country flag
Why will there be news in north when there is no target audience for the news ..

But down south there is plenty of news about it every day and night so that keep TN on hot heels always .. Just yesterday which is May 18th all the local channels were running news about Sri lankan civil war only as its the end of the civil war day ..

Well our government is still not able to integrate the kashmiri s peacefully into Indian union we still getting jihadi s coming out every year .. now how do you think they will be able to do with a country which has nothing to relate itself with the India ..

Well i am off this thread this bloody troll has created a nice meaty title and already dragged this thread to far ..

My perspective We don t want them to become our 30th state or 31st or what ever ..Unless they surrender the sovereignty fully and become one among us ..

Integration doesn't have to be instant and without plans. The government will make sure there are little or no setbacks of union and integration takes place smoothly. Pak is a different case, they got identity issues, there policies not governed by civilian leadership.

That's past. If people are willing to live peacefully, why should it be a issue. Forgive me if I seem ignorant, I have been watching news for a decade but there hasn't been that much focus on tamil-sinhalese issue here in North but I am sure any possible issue would be taken care of by central government.
When we are making a greater union, we will be able to monitor their activities and influence their policies and vice versa so there will be checks and counter checks.
Do you think they pose some threat to us?

captscooby81

Country flag
Just look at this below pic ..a meme page in TN is glorifying the suicide bomber who killed Our PM Rajiv Gandhi He is saying Rajiv deserve the death for sending IPKF and killing LTTEs ..
now this is what the kind of hatred what someone in TN or even in SL of the Tamil origin carry. now you think the wounds will disappear sooner between Sinhalese and Tamils in TN

@Razor @Krusty Well have a look at the below pic ...

WhatsApp Image 2017-05-21 at 20.23.06.jpeg

@Villager
Integration doesn't have to be instant and without plans. The government will make sure there are little or no setbacks of union and integration takes place smoothly. Pak is a different case, they got identity issues, there policies not governed by civilian leadership.

That's past. If people are willing to live peacefully, why should it be a issue. Forgive me if I seem ignorant, I have been watching news for a decade but there hasn't been that much focus on tamil-sinhalese issue here in North but I am sure any possible issue would be taken care of by central government.
When we are making a greater union, we will be able to monitor their activities and influence their policies and vice versa so there will be checks and counter checks.
Do you think they pose some threat to us?

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
There is too much bad blood between Sinhala and Tamil people for any real integration into the Indian Union. What we can have, however, is open borders like India has with Nepal, and the right for our peoples to remain indefinitely within each others' countries, and an open job market that lets our labor-forces seek employment in each others' countries (which is the arrangement India has with Nepal).

Since the Sri Lankan economy is slightly ahead of India's in terms of GDP-per-capita, there could be an initial shock from open-borders, but independence from India will give Colombo the power to deport and banish the people it wants. So if you see an influx of people from India who are spreading crime, etc., you can deport and banish them.

The current visa-regime between India and Sri Lanka is a "whitelist" system (you allow people who apply for a visa and clear an eligibility criteria to enter). An open border would transition you to a "blacklist" system (by default everyone is allowed, but if someone is found to be spreading mischief, they are either temporarily or permanently banished).

Trade will be open and free, which will be great for the Sri Lankan economy, because you can manufacture cheap in the relatively resource-rich India with lower labour costs, and Indian companies essentially have a "30th state" as a market.

But all of this will also require a synergistic foreign policy alignment between our two countries. While you can trade all you want with China, and let their civilian merchant vessels dock in your ports, warships will become a big nono (beyond some ceremonial port-calls). Same applies with Pakistan. You'll also need to tighten your visa controls with Pakistanis.

India, Pakistan, and China are all nuclear powers, but while Pakistan is a confused wahabi shithole with proven links to Islamic terror; and China is a big communist hegemony that's known to devour indigenous political power (CPEC being a classic example); India is the least of the three evils. We have a more or less liberal society, no serious religious terror, and we're too busy with our own politics to care about yours (case in point being communist Prachanda's rise to power in Nepal). As part of this foreign policy alignment, we'll also need a "no-questions-asked" extradition treaty (which will go both ways).

So yes, an open border with India will make India as much a Sri Lankan province as Sri Lanka an Indian state. Plus young Sri Lankans have access to a vast job market. Nepalese swear by the benefits of this.

In all this, you'll ask why India does not have open borders with the relatively benign Bangladesh. That's because history has shown that open borders between a Muslim-majority state and a non-Muslim majority state has never worked out well for the latter.

Indibomber

I would welcome merging of Sri Lanka with India beyond economics Lanka holds a special place In Indian History. I would want us to protect and preserve it. It would also set an example and probably a crushing moral blow to Azadi gana.

Mahakaal

What special place Sri Lanka have in india ?

And what is India ?

What North Indians, East Indians, West Indians and even north East have in common with Lanka ? Even South have late relationship with lanka and both are neighbours.

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
I see a lot of members talking emotionally and not seeing the bigger geo-political picture.

I completely support this step.

Tamils like other citizens (population group) of India are important but that does not mean India should abandon its interest for sake of pleasing particular population group.

Whats past is past lets work towards a better, wealthier and stronger future.

Rajaraja Chola

Country flag
I see a lot of members talking emotionally and not seeing the bigger geo-political picture.

I completely support this step.

Tamils like other citizens (population group) of India are important but that does not mean India should abandon its interest for sake of pleasing particular population group.

Whats past is past lets work towards a better, wealthier and stronger future.
One of the major things in politics. You dont please future citizens over existing ones. A reason why Modi has not signed Teesta deal with BD even though he is entilted to. Cos Indian Bengal is most important than Bangladeshis.

Anyway this is not going to happen.... :lol:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles