Could Sri Lanka be a Indian State?

mendosa

After a century+ dose of Dhammadip propaganda, Sri Lankans would find it difficult to be governed from Delhi.
It doesn't have to be an official annexation where Sri Lanka becomes another state in our constitution. You can make them behave in a manner that is beneficial to you, that is good enough.

Same with Bangladesh. By being a separate nation, we get to isolate 150 million jihadis from having any political voice in our electoral system and the fate of our country, but by trading with them, we are essentially taking the good parts of the community without letting the entire community flood our polity.

Just like taking the honey from a bee hive. You don't need to take the whole hive inside your house. Keep the bees outside, just take what you want.

If they are a part of your system, you are burdened with how the people organize themselves, how to feed them, how to educate them, how to protect them from natural calamities. If they are outside the system, we only need to care about what they have to offer, but keep the population in a quarantine zone called Bangladesh.

Right now, we get everything from Bangladesh and Sri Lanka that a nation can get from a member state : access for our products to their consumers, access to intelligent people by giving them student visas, access for flow of goods and transit rights for military convoys if the need be (not because they are friendly, but because we are strong enough). We get nothing over and above what we are already getting, if we annex them, apart from an addition to our population. Whatever resources they have can already be siphoned off by cutting lucrative trade deals with their businessmen.

Take the honey without letting the honey bees in.

HeinzGud

Country flag
Nice to see you civil this time...
Yes service sector seems a pain for SL to get talent locally but India is in no mood to try it out any more. You know what I mean. Indian managers have become isolated in the industry after taking SL assignments (personal information).

For competitive advantages, SL need to find scopes in india, Indian govt is not going to spoon feed SL traders. If SL find it difficult to market her products in india nobody is to be blamed. But don't try to sell spices and tea.
I am observing the reason development in the geo politics of the subcontinent and I was wondering whether this kind of incident could unfold if the conditions are right. Moreover, I was mostly agitated by the Modi's speech in the tea plantation areas.

Indian Premier’s speech at Norwood indirectly supports separatism: NUTA

I'm not referring to the high ranking white collar jobs. There are many blue collar jobs available in Sri Lanka which has been neglected by Sri Lankan workforce due to lower wages and social status. Currently there are more than 25000 jobs available in the construction industry alone.

Sri Lankans fear that Indian low wage workers would flood our country and bring in their families thus effectively creating a sizable Indian diaspora which could destroy the fragile social fabric of Sri Lankan society.

The issue in the FTA with India is that while India is putting protectionist policies against Sri Lankan companies to operate in India while demanding Sri Lanka to abandon the protectionism to allow Indian companies to roam freely in Sri Lankan markets.

HeinzGud

Country flag
That is far fetched at this stage. India is so big it wont make any difference to most Indians.Most Indians are usually totally clueless about what is going on in opposite corner of India. But Lankans will find it difficult to integrate after being separate country based on ethnic identity for so long. Also for such a small island open borders potentially could create big problem due to migration from some poorer corners of India.

But there should be some kind of union with partial integration in matters of economy and security so that outside powers don't get chance to interfere in strategic matters and create tensions.
Sri Lankans specially Sinhalese are having cordial relationship with Keralites. But, the issues comes with the Tamils. Sinhalese are fearful of the much larger Tamil state just 32km away from Jaffna. We have protected our country from Tamil incursions for more than 1000s of years. But we have never faced a threat like united India. It's a whole new ball game which require brand new strategies to counter the onslaught of Tamil hegemony.

HeinzGud

Country flag
We already have so much internal headache to sort out. Another 20 million people who have serious issue of integration with one of the ethnicity in India. Please spare us we don't want anymore headache.

We really want our country to prosper and don't want anymore politics. We already have too much of that.

Further add to that, we do remember this:

http://nofirezone.org/watch

මහින්ද රාජපක්ෂ ජනාධිපතිවරයාගේ පාලනය වසර ගණනාවක් තිස්සේ මාධ්‍ය නිදහස ක්‍රමානුකූලව අවහිර කර දැම්මේය. දැන් ලාංකික ජනතාව වෙනත් ආණ්ඩුවක් තෝරා පත් කර ගෙන තිබේ. ඒ, මාධ්‍ය නිදහස වෙනුවෙන් කැපවන බව ප්‍රකාශයට පත්කොට ඇති ආණ්ඩුවකි.

ශ්‍රී ලංකාවේ බියකරු යුද්ධයේ අවසාන භාගයේ සිදුවූ දෑ පිලිබඳ සත්‍යය ඉකුත් පාලන තන්ත්‍රය විසින් ශ්‍රී ලංකාවේ මහත් බහුතර ජනතාවගෙන් වසං කරන ලදී. දැන් මේ සිංහල පිටපත නරඹා තමන්ගේම මතයකට පැමිනීමේ අවස්ථාව ඔවුන්ට උදාවී තිබේ. අප මේ පරිවර්තනය ගෙන එන්නේ පෙරට යාම සඳහා ගත යුතු හොඳම මාර්ගය කුමක්ද යන්න පිළිබඳව ශ්‍රී ලංකාව තුල මතුවන ජාතික සංවාදයක් වෙනුවෙන් තොරතුරු මගින් සහාය වීමේ අපේක්ෂාවෙනි. ශ්‍රී ලංකාවේ සියලු ප්‍රජාවන්ට අයත් අති බහුතරයකට, සත්‍යය දැනගෙන දණ්ඩ මුක්තිය පිටු දැකීමේ උවමනාව ඇති බවත්, ඉකුත් දශක ගණනාවක බියකරු ලේ වැගිරීම වෙනුවට සාමකාමී, ප්‍රජාතන්ත්‍රවාදී විකල්පයක් සොයා ගැනීමේ අවශ්‍යතාව තිබෙන බවත් අපේ විශ්වාසයයි.

මේ දිවයිනේ සකල ප්‍රජාවන්ගේම ප්‍රජාතාන්ත්‍රික උරුමයන් සාක්ෂාත් වී, සංහිඳියාව උදාවී, දිගු කල් පවතින අසාධාරණ කම් වලට දේශපාලන විසඳුම් ලැබී, සාමකාමී ජීවිතයට මග සැලසෙනු ඇත්තේ යුක්තිය ඉටු වූවොත් පමණකි.
Tamil Genocide is a big lie perpetuated by the Western powers to malign Sri Lanka and force her into submission. This is a separate topic for discussion as there are lot to discuss.

angeldude13

Lestat De Lioncourt
Country flag
yeaaa dont know if the caste system lets people live in harmony

yeah you can live in your fantasies while i will ignore you
but i am serious about it the hindu population is large in these areas and i had a chance to meet some of them they are nice people and most importantly very religious they are very devoted to hinduism..
Caste system is present in abrahamic cult too. Still dharmic people lives in harmony while abrahamic death cults spread violence everywhere....

aditya10r

Mera Bharat mahan
Country flag
yeaaa dont know if the caste system lets people live in harmony

yeah you can live in your fantasies while i will ignore you
but i am serious about it the hindu population is large in these areas and i had a chance to meet some of them they are nice people and most importantly very religious they are very devoted to hinduism..
And abdus salam died a tragic death........................................................................................................

captscooby81

Country flag
Seriously you have 25000 jobs in construction and your people feel its low to do those because of social status and go and do exactly the same in Gulf countries....:pound::pound:.. Well for your kind information we have much more educated population who sit and home just because they don t want to do few jobs which don t have social status .. So Thanks ..We are happy with the current status wit Sri lanka and let you guys stay the same way ..We don t need your help to solve our unemployment ..You look how to survive under Uncle chin they normally treat others like Slaves like your new brother in the block Pakistan who is licking chinese boots and enjoying the slavery ...

I am observing the reason development in the geo politics of the subcontinent and I was wondering whether this kind of incident could unfold if the conditions are right. Moreover, I was mostly agitated by the Modi's speech in the tea plantation areas.

Indian Premier’s speech at Norwood indirectly supports separatism: NUTA

I'm not referring to the high ranking white collar jobs. There are many blue collar jobs available in Sri Lanka which has been neglected by Sri Lankan workforce due to lower wages and social status. Currently there are more than 25000 jobs available in the construction industry alone.

Sri Lankans fear that Indian low wage workers would flood our country and bring in their families thus effectively creating a sizable Indian diaspora which could destroy the fragile social fabric of Sri Lankan society.

The issue in the FTA with India is that while India is putting protectionist policies against Sri Lankan companies to operate in India while demanding Sri Lanka to abandon the protectionism to allow Indian companies to roam freely in Sri Lankan markets.

aditya10r

Mera Bharat mahan
Country flag
Seriously you have 25000 jobs in construction and your people feel its low to do those because of social status and go and do exactly the same in Gulf countries....:pound::pound:.. Well for your kind information we have much more educated population who sit and home just because they don t want to do few jobs which don t have social status .. So Thanks ..We are happy with the current status wit Sri lanka and let you guys stay the same way ..We don t need your help to solve our unemployment ..You look how to survive under Uncle chin they normally treat others like Slaves like your new brother in the block Pakistan who is licking chinese boots and enjoying the slavery ...
This have been very hostile to india in the past,yesterday when i saw this thread posted by this guy,i was like...........PAPA chinna has stopped giving money................................

captscooby81

Country flag
Forget giving money Papa Chinna is screwing their asses to get back the money invested in MMRP in Hambantota and trying to take back so much acres of lands and life long leasing ..the new Hongkong in the making SL right now with their debt burden.....and this smarty here is teaching us about helping our unemployed youths by letting them do jobs which they feel low as per social status ..Look at his subtle sarcasm when he is pointing towards tea plantation people and Modi ...Gaand Jali hai BC in log ki ...

This have been very hostile to india in the past,yesterday when i saw this thread posted by this guy,i was like...........PAPA chinna has stopped giving money................................

Last edited:

aditya10r

Mera Bharat mahan
Country flag
Forget giving money Papa Chinna is screwing their asses to get back the money invested in MMRP in Hambantota and trying to take back so much acres of lands and life long leasing ..the new Hongkong in the making SL right now with their debt burden.....and this smarty here is teaching us about helping our unemployed youths by letting them do jobs which they feel low as per social status ..Look at his subtle sarcasm when he is pointing towards tea plantation people and Modi ...Gaand Jali hai BC in log ki ...
If china wants to open a military base in SL just like HK garrison,We should not step back from making profitable investments in SL.

We cannot afford to have a strong power in our backyard.

F-14B

#iamPUROHIT
Country flag
actually the shingalies ti think have a similar thought process to kearlites in terms of domestic blue collar jobs
actually Hinze has a good thought ( for once ) by integrating Ceylon economically and politically ( at a later stage )we can have two things as I see it
1 complete southward expansion and checkmating china in sri lanka
2 a simmering down of the shingala Tamil conflict as the majority shingala provinces shall be spun off to form 1 state and the Tamil majority areas in the north attached to Tamil nadu
one more thing why I support SL becoming a state of the Indian union is that the more dharmics we have in our basket we can offset the deep radicalization that is happening in the Islamic population in our union thanks to the "secular" nature of our political set up I would chose as my fellow national a srilankan then a illegal Bangladeshi any day

dhananjay1

It doesn't have to be an official annexation where Sri Lanka becomes another state in our constitution. You can make them behave in a manner that is beneficial to you, that is good enough.

Same with Bangladesh. By being a separate nation, we get to isolate 150 million jihadis from having any political voice in our electoral system and the fate of our country, but by trading with them, we are essentially taking the good parts of the community without letting the entire community flood our polity.

Just like taking the honey from a bee hive. You don't need to take the whole hive inside your house. Keep the bees outside, just take what you want.

If they are a part of your system, you are burdened with how the people organize themselves, how to feed them, how to educate them, how to protect them from natural calamities. If they are outside the system, we only need to care about what they have to offer, but keep the population in a quarantine zone called Bangladesh.

Right now, we get everything from Bangladesh and Sri Lanka that a nation can get from a member state : access for our products to their consumers, access to intelligent people by giving them student visas, access for flow of goods and transit rights for military convoys if the need be (not because they are friendly, but because we are strong enough). We get nothing over and above what we are already getting, if we annex them, apart from an addition to our population. Whatever resources they have can already be siphoned off by cutting lucrative trade deals with their businessmen.

Take the honey without letting the honey bees in.
I have no problem if Sri Lanka somehow becomes an Indian State. If Sri Lanka was part of Madras Presidency, there wouldn't have been any Sri Lankan national movement. It's a separate country just because Brits decided it to keep separate from Madras Presidency, purely out of administrative point of view.

HeinzGud

Country flag
I have no problem if Sri Lanka somehow becomes an Indian State. If Sri Lanka was part of Madras Presidency, there wouldn't have been any Sri Lankan national movement. It's a separate country just because Brits decided it to keep separate from Madras Presidency, purely out of administrative point of view.
Incorrect. Sri Lanka was an independent country when Brits arrived and there was no political connection of any sort during that time with India. Brits signed a legal agreements with Kandyan kingdom and they recognized the sovereignty of Sri Lanka.

captscooby81

Country flag
Cool then stay the same way why you want to sell your sovereignty to India and be our citizens ..Be the Long lasting land of the Sinhalese and enjoy ..Why you want to join us and look like unwanted long lost twin brother ....:laugh:

Incorrect. Sri Lanka was an independent country when Brits arrived and there was no political connection of any sort during that time with India. Brits signed a legal agreements with Kandyan kingdom and they recognized the sovereignty of Sri Lanka.

dhananjay1

There was no "country" just a kingdom limited to some parts of Sri Lanka. Nationalism is a 19th C. product. Kandiyan kings had no concept of "nationalism". He was a king and people were his subjects.

Villager

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
With the ongoing negotiations over the ECTA deal and the proposed Ram Setu Bridge. Would it be possible for India to impress the Sri Lankans to be part of Indian union? What might be the implications of such a scenario? How would the rest of the Indians react to it? What would be the reaction from Tamilnadu? What would be the ultimate fate of the Sinhalese people?

This is a hypothetical scenario and I urge all the DFIans to keep the discussion civilized. Your valuable opinions are highly appreciated.
All states have their own governments, it will be no burden. Nobody loses their personal identities on any terms. No worry for India about Sri Lanka going into Chinese camp causing security concerns, greater economic benefits for Sri Lankas. A union among Asian nations are a must in my opinion and it is most likely going to happen at some point in future.

Well yes. But what if the island is separated into 3 states or union territories which gives the 3 ethnicities their own areas to govern.

Moreover, my hypothesis is based on a peaceful integration of Sri Lanka to the Indian union. In such a scenario what would be the reaction of the Indian people.
Leaving the experts of the forum, majority of ordinary Indians in general will welcome a union with anyone, be it Sri Lanka, China, Pakistan etc. That's just the way we are.

If governments of both nations can work out a deal, people aren't going to have issues. I don't know about Tamil - Sinhalese issues though.

captscooby81

Country flag
well you just made it look so easy in the integration of SL into India without knowing the biggest bottleneck Sinhalese-Tamil issue ..They fought a bloody civil war and killed thousands of people do you think the wounds will disappear so soon ..We have not still recovered from the deep wounds of 1947 Partition the Paki s are still hell bent to destroy us into 1000 pieces for the 1971 humiliation ..well the biggest gift to mankind by god is the short memory but still are we able to move beyond few past things ..I would say not at all ..why are still people talking about Jews Holocaust and Turk genocides of Balkans...

You can welcome a guest into your home only if they have a good intention.. you will let him stay or else you will kick his ass out to save your home first ..Same is what they want by joining our union are they going to do good or going to cause more damage to us ....?

All states have their own governments, it will be no burden. Nobody loses their personal identities on any terms. No worry for India about Sri Lanka going into Chinese camp causing security concerns, greater economic benefits for Sri Lankas. A union among Asian nations are a must in my opinion and it is most likely going to happen at some point in future.

Leaving the experts of the forum, majority of ordinary Indians in general will welcome a union with anyone, be it Sri Lanka, China, Pakistan etc. That's just the way we are.

If governments of both nations can work out a deal, people aren't going to have issues. I don't know about Tamil - Sinhalese issues though.

Villager

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
well you just made it look so easy in the integration of SL into India without knowing the biggest bottleneck Sinhalese-Tamil issue ..They fought a bloody civil war and killed thousands of people do you think the wounds will disappear so soon ..We have not still recovered from the deep wounds of 1947 Partition the Paki s are still hell bent to destroy us into 1000 pieces for the 1971 humiliation ..well the biggest gift to mankind by god is the short memory but still are we able to move beyond few past things ..I would say not at all ..why are still people talking about Jews Holocaust and Turk genocides of Balkans...
You can welcome a guest into your home only if they have a good intention.. you will let him stay or else you will kick his ass out to save your home first ..Same is what they want by joining our union are they going to do good or going to cause more damage to us ....?
Integration doesn't have to be instant and without plans. The government will make sure there are little or no setbacks of union and integration takes place smoothly. Pak is a different case, they got identity issues, there policies not governed by civilian leadership.

They fought a bloody civil war and killed thousands of people do you think the wounds will disappear so soon ..
That's past. If people are willing to live peacefully, why should it be a issue. Forgive me if I seem ignorant, I have been watching news for a decade but there hasn't been that much focus on tamil-sinhalese issue here in North but I am sure any possible issue would be taken care of by central government.
When we are making a greater union, we will be able to monitor their activities and influence their policies and vice versa so there will be checks and counter checks.
Do you think they pose some threat to us?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles