Could Sri Lanka be a Indian State?

Butter Chicken

Country flag
What if ECTA deal has been signed and Indians started to flood into Sri Lanka with their families. Would it create a ethnic up heal just like in Fiji?
It will be very difficult and expensive for many Indians to travel to Sri Lanka.Also language will be a barrier,Sri Lanka has 21 million people and is not a sparsely populated island like Fiji.It can get special rights that prohibits ownership of land by outsiders like many Indian states like Assam,Manipur etc do

shimshali

Ya sweet heart why not ..First we will take Nankana Sahib from you and add it into our state and then will add Mauritius and Madagascar ...o_O
i am serous these countries have a sizable hindu population percentage and Mauritius is i think the second to india in regard to hindu population as 48.54% people are hindu ..

SanjeevM

Country flag
If you are familiar with large cargo movement via sea, India doesn't have such huge port. All our shipments/cargo goes in smaller ships to Singapore, reloaded in larger ships and then it moves further. Indian exporters have to pay these costs of loading, unloading and again loading. I heard Sri Lanka has a larger port that can be used. If Sri Lanka is welcoming India, we can make use of ports.

angeldude13

Lestat De Lioncourt
Country flag
can you tell me if Mauritius and Madagascar will also be allowed to join such union as they have a sizable hindu population especially Mauritius
Why not? Dharmic people lives in harmony unlike the abrahamic people who just want to convert people into their religion and kill in the name of their god.

brational

Country flag
Well the ECTA deal is on the exchange of the service industry. There are many jobs in Sri Lanka which haven't been filled by Sri Lankan workforce. That could alleviate some of the unemployment woes of India. More than that Sri Lankan jobs might be more lucrative to average Indians.

The Ram Setu bridge is intend to link Trincomalee with Mannar and then ultimately to Rameshawaram. India has already signed some agreements over the Trincomalee harbor area. India might extend her control over one of the best natural harbors of the world while China is tightening it's control over Hambantota.

The biggest issue with the trading with India is that though the national government has not imposed many trade embargoes on Sri Lankan products any Indian state can force embargoes and obstacles over the free trade across it's boundaries. There are no authority to control that.
Nice to see you civil this time...
Yes service sector seems a pain for SL to get talent locally but India is in no mood to try it out any more. You know what I mean. Indian managers have become isolated in the industry after taking SL assignments (personal information).

For competitive advantages, SL need to find scopes in india, Indian govt is not going to spoon feed SL traders. If SL find it difficult to market her products in india nobody is to be blamed. But don't try to sell spices and tea.

LordOfTheUnderworlds

Country flag
That is far fetched at this stage. India is so big it wont make any difference to most Indians.Most Indians are usually totally clueless about what is going on in opposite corner of India. But Lankans will find it difficult to integrate after being separate country based on ethnic identity for so long. Also for such a small island open borders potentially could create big problem due to migration from some poorer corners of India.

But there should be some kind of union with partial integration in matters of economy and security so that outside powers don't get chance to interfere in strategic matters and create tensions.

Last edited:

indiatester

Country flag
With the ongoing negotiations over the ECTA deal and the proposed Ram Setu Bridge. Would it be possible for India to impress the Sri Lankans to be part of Indian union? What might be the implications of such a scenario? How would the rest of the Indians react to it? What would be the reaction from Tamilnadu? What would be the ultimate fate of the Sinhalese people?

This is a hypothetical scenario and I urge all the DFIans to keep the discussion civilized. Your valuable opinions are highly appreciated.
While we are in the "what if" category, we won't like it, but you are better off joining USA as its next state.

brational

Country flag
Well yes. But what if the island is separated into 3 states or union territories which gives the 3 ethnicities their own areas to govern.

Moreover, my hypothesis is based on a peaceful integration of Sri Lanka to the Indian union. In such a scenario what would be the reaction of the Indian people.
I think SL is a distinct identity in the Indian subcontinent. SL has no scope of further division. Your citizens are your own and you need to handle them accordingly as it is the right of any other state in India. Again Sinhalese(SL) are unique and need to be so.. Why do you want to be a part of India? Okey, coming to the point, every state in india has a distinct identity. No one can snatch it or alter it. You do your research. Even the different scripts are inscripted in INR which is unique in the entire world. SL integration in india won't be a challenge if SL citizens want it wholeheartedly. You are always a part of India and India is bound to look after you. What is required is "reciprocation"

Last edited:

brational

Country flag
i am serous these countries have a sizable hindu population percentage and Mauritius is i think the second to india in regard to hindu population as 48.54% people are hindu ..
Since Kashmir is Muslim dominated state and part of India, we are open for Baki integration too. For bakis the basic requirement is Gharwapsi i.e. conversion with pork consumption.

dhananjay1

After a century+ dose of Dhammadip propaganda, Sri Lankans would find it difficult to be governed from Delhi.

shimshali

Why not? Dharmic people lives in harmony unlike the abrahamic people who just want to convert people into their religion and kill in the name of their god.
yeaaa dont know if the caste system lets people live in harmony

Since Kashmir is Muslim dominated state and part of India, we are open for Baki integration too. For bakis the basic requirement is Gharwapsi i.e. conversion with pork consumption.

yeah you can live in your fantasies while i will ignore you
but i am serious about it the hindu population is large in these areas and i had a chance to meet some of them they are nice people and most importantly very religious they are very devoted to hinduism..

brational

Country flag
yeaaa dont know if the caste system lets people live in harmony

yeah you can live in your fantasies while i will ignore you
but i am serious about it the hindu population is large in these areas and i had a chance to meet some of them they are nice people and most importantly very religious they are very devoted to hinduism..
Ignorance is in your blood. For your answer, we are not an autocratic society where we demand hindu dominance in places where Hindus are in majority. Inbreds will find it difficult to comprehend. Hope you are not a product of cousin marriage..

IndianHawk

Country flag
There is no reason for srilanka to be part of India. Whatever the benefits of integration can be achieved without integration today.

Both nations can have FTA in goods and services and can have a visa free travel regime anyway.

But even if in some hypothetical scenario merger was to happen it won't affect rest of India much. We already have 29 states so we will have 20. Sinhalese will become an constitutional language already many including Tamil are.

It will be just like any other Indian state India can accommodate it just as easily as any other state of India.

However singhlese won't be allowed to Lord over Tamils anymore. And that is the reason singhlese would never agree to any peaceful merger and India will never grab territory by force. So nothing is gonna happen.

YagamiLight

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
I don't know why Myanmar, Nepal, Bhutan and Ceylon arent part of India already. I can't help but wonder if these "countries" not being indian states already was because of lack of strategic thinking by our leaders at independence.

But considering how much Hindus have have been screwed by secular state and how much dhimmitude has crept into Hindu psyche, may be those states have preserved their identity and culture from abrahamic predation by being seperate. The political spectrum in all these above states will fall between far right and extreme far right. Why would they give that up and become dhimmis for the Sullahs as mandated by the secular state inside India?

YagamiLight

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
It will be just like any other Indian state India can accommodate it just as easily as any other state of India.

However singhlese won't be allowed to Lord over Tamils anymore. And that is the reason singhlese would never agree to any peaceful merger and India will never grab territory by force. So nothing is gonna happen.
Add to it that Sinhalese would be made to be dhimmis in their own land and lose their Buddhist predominant culture. Which Sinhalese in his right mind will want that?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles