Could India aim for 2nd place among BRICS in Global Competitive Index?

jouni

World Economic Forum announced Global Competitive Index 2014-2015. India is currently fifth among BRICS countries, but because numbers 2-4 are close together has India good chance to climb to 2nd place. China is too far away to be catched anytime soon. Other interesting observations from the list: Switzerland, Singapore and US take three top spots. Finland is fourth. Finland is number one Globally in Education and Innovation. This is a good achievement. India is in a good place to start climbing among BRICS towards better places in the list.

http://www.weforum.org/issues/global-competitiveness

http://www.weforum.org/reports/global-competitiveness-report-2014-2015

Last edited:

ladder

Country flag
Re: India aiming for 2nd place among BRICS in Global Competitive index

Where is the link?

Where does it say India is aiming for the second spot? @jouni

Last edited by a moderator:

DingDong

Country flag

Here we go again. India regulates her market and economy according to her needs and not according to the wishes of the MNCs and the FDIs.

Trust me on this, India will never open up her market completely for the foreign investors and businesses. India is not China, our government listens to the concerns of the locals.

jouni

Yes, these kind of indexes are not in Indias interest. You trust your own way. You can catch Russia, Brazil and South Africa but not China.

Last edited:

jouni

Where is the link?

Where does it say India is aiming for the second spot? @jouni
I think it is clear from the report: China is too far, but the rest is in reach. That is your realistic goal.

ladder

Country flag

I think it is clear from the report: China is too far, but the rest is in reach. That is your realistic goal.

Then you should have said 'India should aim for 2nd spot' or 'India can get to 2nd spot' or even 'India has the potential to get to the 2nd spot'

But, When you say 'India is aiming for' then it is actually sounds like a official policy decision conveyed by an official of 'GoI'.
@pmaitra.

jouni

Then you should have said 'India should aim for 2nd spot' or 'India can get to 2nd spot' or even 'India has the potential to get to the 2nd spot'

But, When you say 'India is aiming for' then it is actually sounds like a official policy decision conveyed by an official of 'GoI'.
@pmaitra.
Sorry, didn´t thought of that, maybe we should change the title then.

ladder

Country flag

Sorry, didn´t thought of that, maybe we should change the title then.
You don't need to be sorry for that. Happens all the time to non native English speakers like us (Indians). I have tagged a mod in my post, who incidentally is also excellent in English grammar. Hopefully he will do the needful.

santosh10

World Economic Forum announced Global Competitive Index 2014-2015. India is currently fifth among BRICS countries, but because numbers 2-4 are close together has India good chance to climb to 2nd place. China is too far away to be catched anytime soon. Other interesting observations from the list: Switzerland, Singapore and US take three top spots. Finland is fourth. Finland is number one Globally in Education and Innovation. This is a good achievement. India is in a good place to start climbing among BRICS towards better places in the list.

its good to see Finland and Switzerland on the top 2 spots, i also hope to visit these 2 places soon........

Srinivas_K

Country flag

Yes, these kind of indexes are not in Indias interest. You trust your own way. You can catch Russia, Brazil and South Africa but not China.
India has all the right ingredients to better/overtake China, Time is on our side.

amoy

China can climb up with Hong Kong (7th) and Taiwan (14th) counted in :pound:

The different aspects of competitiveness are captured in 12 pillars, which compose the Global Competitiveness Index. This 35th edition emphasizes innovation and skills as the key drivers of economic growth. While these increasingly influence competitiveness and the global economy tentatively recovers from the economic crisis, significant risks remain, resulting from a strained geopolitical situation, rising income inequality and the potential tightening of financial conditions. It is therefore crucial to address these structural challenges to ensure more sustainable and inclusive growth. More than ever, cooperative leadership among business, government and civil society is needed to re-establish sustainable growth and raise living standards throughout the world.

amoy

I'd say I love Switzerland and Finland very much, but @jouni my gut feeling tells something goes against "perception" (not backed by hard data though) in my going through some of the Index.

Like this "Innovation Top 10" - Finland ranks #1 Switzerland #2 above Israel #3 Japan #4... Most European states perk rather high. Okay these r awesome. However, Israeli innovations r better known as very relevant to our day-to-day life such as in irrigation techs, pharmaceuticals, military... Comparatively the same cant be said of Finn & Swiss. My watch is Swiss. Other than that their banking sector is well known. Yet with their "secrecy law" being sidestepped nowadays under the US pressure Swiss banks hav to disclose client data against tax evasion, money laundering etc. etc.. Therefore there seems less room for "innovation" literally. And Finland - u know better than me - mainstays 1. telecom 2. Forestry Industry in outsiders' perspective. Then what innovation on what parameters as drivers of your productivity and prosperity in terms of global competitiveness?

jouni

Capacity for innovation, 1-7 (best)
5 5.6
Quality of scientific research institutions, 1-7 (best)
10 5.7
Company spending on R&D, 1-7 (best)
3 5.7
University-industry collaboration in R&D, 1-7 (best)
1 6.0
Government procurement of advanced technology products, 1-7 (best)
22 4.1
Availability of scientists and engineers, 1-7 (best)
1 6.2
PCT patent applications, applications/million pop.
4 286.7

We are actually nro 1 in public/private collaboration and availability of scientists and engineers. A lot of our innovations go to something you do not see, in space tech, engines, robotics, health. This actually reveals one of our biggest weaknesses: we are not good enough in branding and marketing. Our innovations and patents benefit also a lot of foreign companies.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

At least for next year India will automatically be 1 spot higher in the index for what it can normally achieve since Russia will slide down under it. :thumb:

BTW, I'm surprised to see America in #3 spot, I thought our members here say it is already going bankrupt and in decline... There must be hidden agenda in this GCI....

jouni

I'd say I love Switzerland and Finland very much, but @jouni my gut feeling tells something goes against "perception" (not backed by hard data though) in my going through some of the Index.

Like this "Innovation Top 10" - Finland ranks #1 Switzerland #2 above Israel #3 Japan #4... Most European states perk rather high. Okay these r awesome. However, Israeli innovations r better known as very relevant to our day-to-day life such as in irrigation techs, pharmaceuticals, military... Comparatively the same cant be said of Finn & Swiss. My watch is Swiss. Other than that their banking sector is well known. Yet with their "secrecy law" being sidestepped nowadays under the US pressure Swiss banks hav to disclose client data against tax evasion, money laundering etc. etc.. Therefore there seems less room for "innovation" literally. And Finland - u know better than me - mainstays 1. telecom 2. Forestry Industry in outsiders' perspective. Then what innovation on what parameters as drivers of your productivity and prosperity in terms of global competitiveness?
I think for China 28th place is extremely good. With your large population, one party system etc. It is really, really good achievement. Before I came to this forum, I had pretty old fashion view about China, I am learning daily that you do actually a lot of things really in a good way.

pmaitra

Re: Could India aim for 2nd place among BRICS in Global Competitive In

@ladder, @jouni, I have turned the title into a question, since that is what the OP apparently wanted to discuss.

amoy

I think for China 28th place is extremely good. With your large population, one party system etc. It is really, really good achievement. Before I came to this forum, I had pretty old fashion view about China, I am learning daily that you do actually a lot of things really in a good way.
Among BRICS China + Russia Duo shall be the most promising. Trust me, I understand your sentiments towards Russia by your side in both historical and present perspectives, which is also a neighbour of China. :rolleyes: Fortunately the animosity btwn the 2 countries have become bygones. Economies of Russia and China indeed r complementary to each other. Russia is of vital importance to China's energy security, while China is very much manufacturing based.

The others of BRICS frankly are not so much related to Chinese economically except for their geo-strategic locations & joint leverage on certain agenda. It takes much time to make BRICS really fly as a group, like the phase-in of BRICS Bank.

Europeans perhaps have some stereotypes of China. The taste of the pudding is in the eating.

Hometown

Global Defence

New threads

Articles