Wuhan Coronavirus Thread

Is coronavirus a biological warfare agent released by China?

• yes

Votes: 175 89.3%
  • no

Votes: 21 10.7%

• Total voters

Spindrift

China confirms human-to-human spread of deadly new virus as WHO mulls declaring global health emergency.

----Snippet----

An Indian woman working in China is believed to be the first foreigner to have contracted the disease.

Preeti Maheshwari, 45, a teacher in an international school, was admitted to a local hospital in Shenzhen, a southern Chinese city, after falling seriously ill last Friday with pneumonia-like symptoms.

The woman's husband told local media that doctors confirmed she was suffering from the new coronavirus, which is similar to severe acute respiratory syndrome.

India has issued a travel advisory to its citizens, particularly for the city of Wuhan, the epicentre of the outbreak, where 500 Indian medical students are studying.

Many of those students, however, are believed to have returned to India in recent days ahead of the Lunar New Year holiday, Asia’s busiest travel period when hundreds of millions are expected to be on the move.
----Snippet----

Source: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-...ina-believed-first-foreigner-have-contracted/

Waanar

Country flag
I don't think that India has mechanism, measures, will to prevent the spread of any such virus. If it is here and it is spreading, well we are fucked. All thanks to Chinese.:frusty:
SHHHHHHH

Sab koi apne apne ghar me band ho jaao, daba ke khaana khao, ghar waalon ko paas bulao, immune system boosting foods khao.

The virus is being touted as extremely contagious but also less deadly than SARS.
SARS killed 15% of those it infected, so good chance of our survival (Mummy papa nahi bachenge though). Just pray the medical service centres don't break down due to the chaos.

here2where

I don't think that India has mechanism, measures, will to prevent the spread of any such virus...
KL showed the will and the way during the Nippah outbreak there in 2018 by quarantining the town of Kozhikode and putting a permanent Sec 144 type ban of more than 5 people gathering at any one place for a few weeks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Nipah_virus_outbreak_in_Kerala

How Kerala stopped Nipah in its tracks
https://www.livemint.com/science/health/how-kerala-stopped-nipah-in-its-tracks-1561483503936.html

Ofcourse its a different matter that muzzies were exempted from this rule since they said they could not avoid 5 times group head banging sessions in local shit holes. :frusty:

Every other religious group obeyed this rule, including xtians.

Waanar

Country flag
China-pak has a great bromance going on......
If pakis get infected.........they won't even find out what's happening and will shrug it under some fever.

Surprised zero cases in pakistan till now ,
I don't think they have any capablity to detect ,stop or cure it.

If chinks do give this gift to pakis and a sizeable pakis get 72d what would pakis reaction be?
Thank chinese for making less mouths to feed in Pakistan.
Rumors saying it's already there.

Man, the Porkis will start killing their own people with tanks and jets if they feel threatened.

"You're infected?

NO, YOU NEVER EXISTED! DIE BITCH FOR THE GLORY OF ALLAH!" - ISI circa 2020.

Knowitall

Guys while till now it appears that the government has been very cautious infact these 100 cases are people coming back from China etc and are under watch even those who are not showing any symptoms are not left to go but are under watch.

What I strongly feel is that we must completely seal our border with Nepal ayega sala to Wahi se ayega if it is not already here.

And once it is indeed here to Sab Dfi wale chalo ladakh ke kone me.

I don't even want to imagine what will happen if the virus spreads here jisko nahi hoga usko hospital Jake zarur hoga.

I never gave this much attention but we really need to improve our medical systems fast.

Bhoot Pishach

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Surprised zero cases in pakistan till now ,
I don't think they have any capablity to detect ,stop or cure it.
If chinks do give this gift to pakis and a sizeable pakis get 72d what would pakis reaction be?
Thank chinese for making less mouths to feed in Pakistan.
BC Naam liya Shaitan Hazir.

https://www.aaj.tv/english/latest/first-coronavirus-case-found-in-pakistan/

First Coronavirus case found in Pakistan

Web Desk
| January 25, 2020

• The first case of coronavirus has been diagnosed in Multan after a man showing symptoms of the deadly virus was admitted to Nishtar Hospital.

According to details, the 40-year-old resident was working on a project in the industrial estate and had just returned from Wuhan, China, a few days ago.

The patient has been admitted to the Isolation Ward and test samples have been sent to the laboratory.

It is pertinent to remember that other than China, the cases have also been found in Singapore, Japan, Thailand, South Korea, Taiwan, Vietnam and the United States. Reportedly, there are more than 500 confirmed cases of the virus so far around the world.

The respiratory coronavirus has sickened more than 800 in China and killed at least 26. The outbreak began last month in the city of Wuhan in Hubei. Scientists have identified the illness as a new kind of coronavirus, a large family of viruses, some of which cause the common cold.

China has confirmed 830 cases of patients infected with the new coronavirus while the authorities have been examining 1,072 suspected cases of the virus.

The virus, which started in Wuhan city in Hubei province last month, has since spread to other major cities including Beijing, Shanghai and Hong Kong.

Bhoot Pishach

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Fuck the Bloody Idiots Chinese. They have craving for every thing that moves.

The situation is getting worse.

The whole World is fuckedup by Eating Habits of Chinese.

Pray to God things dont turn this Ugly.

This is pretty Accurate Study about Lethality, Prediction about Spreading pattern of the Coronavirus.

https://phil-data-blog.blogspot.com/2020/01/the-statistics-behind-wuhan-corona-virus.html

The Data Insider
Making sense of the world through data The focus of this blog is

#data #bigdata #dataanalytics #privacy #digitalmarketing #AI #artificialintelligence #ML #GIS #datavisualization and many other aspects, fields and applications of data

Saturday, January 25, 2020

The statistics behind the Wuhan corona virus

The Wuhan Corona virus is spreading fast with the Chinese new year but is it time to panic?

In the short term and on the epidemiological front, probably not. But in the longer term and on the economic front, it might well be the straw that break the Chinese camel back.

Let's have a quick look at where we stand today, Sunday 26, January 2020 and at where statistics are telling us we may be in a few weeks.

The official number of sick people at 1497 is still relatively low. But this number does not fit with the news coming from China of overwhelmed hospitals. Nor with the more or less complete lock down, as of today, of the city of Wuhan (11 million people) and the severe travel restrictions in the province of Hubei concerning over 56 million people.

The country is facing a "grave situation" Mr Xi told senior officials, according to state television yesterday. With the city of Wuhan building two new hospitals over the coming weeks specifically dedicated to the pandemic, clearly, the conditions in China are worse than it looks.

Chinese authorities have promised to be transparent, but the precedents are not good. in 2003, the SARS epidemic was not recognized until very late and then mostly the information was suppressed until the virus petered out in early July of that year.

This time is different in many respects, but mostly for the worst.

First, the good news.

The Wuhan Corona virus has a relatively low R0 or R naught coefficient, currently estimated at 2.5. This coefficient is very important. It indicated the number of healthy persons a sick one will infect while being contagious. If the coefficient is above "1", the virus spreads.

For reference, these are the R0 factors of other diseases. The Wuhan Corona virus compares favorably.

Likewise, this R0 factors is not fixed. The 2003 SARS epidemic started out with a R0 of about 3 but ended at 0.4 when limitations were enforced.

But the Wuhan Corona virus has other characteristics which makes the situation more critical. There is no antivirus and the laps between the moment a person becomes infectious and first symptoms seems to be around a week. This would explain why the Chinese authorities were slow to react but also why the virus may already be more broadly spread out than assumed. Some alarmist estimates say that there may already be over 10,000 cases in Wuhan alone. This sounds extreme but it could be close to the truth and the reason why Chinese authorities are in panic mode.

So where do we go from here?

If you prefer to panic, the best article is from Dr. Eric Feigl-Ding

Dr. Eric Feigl-Ding" I’ll be honest - as an epidemiologist, I’m really deeply worried about this new coronavirus outbreak. 1) the virus has an upward infection trajectory curve much steeper than SARS. 2) it can be transmitted person to person before symptoms appear — I.e. it is silently contagious!"

And he goes on with a long series of tweets which are worth reading since they resume the worst case scenario. (Below, after the article)

But all these alarmist tweets are based on a study from a British Doctor which can be summarized with the following chart showing an explosion of cases over the coming weeks:

To this, Dr. Stephen Goldstein answered that: "It’s one estimate, with a sketchily narrow CI that the authors have already revised down. Other estimates are lower. This is not 1918, you know that, stop trying to scare people and log off please. Thanks"

This answer is probably correct. This is clearly not 1918. Nevertheless, now that the opportunity to stop the virus during the initial outbreak was missed, it will clearly be far more difficult and expensive to limit the economic damages in the longer term.

Let's suppose that China does all the right things and that the virus outbreak follows the SARS pattern and goes from 2.4 to 0.4 over the coming 6 months. We will still end up with around 100,000 sick people (which is not a very high number compared to the flu on any given year) and probably 3 to 4,000 casualties which again is a very low number. (Based on the table bellow)

But the economic consequences of the disease on the already slowing down Chinese economy may well be far less mild. Here's an example of the complete blockade of the city of Wuhan as of this morning! (Trains, planes and highways have already been stopped for a few days.)

Beyond the human tragedy of a large city without food and transportation, the banning of tour groups in all of China, interdiction of large assemblies of over 100 people (during the Chinese new year!), closing down of parks, stores and many other amenities, it is the whole Chinese economy which is grinding down to a halt for the new year with no end in sight!
This to my opinion is the real risk of the Wuhan Corona virus. Not that it will become a world pandemic although there is still a relatively small chance that it will but that it could be the black swan that bring the next recession with a global crash of the world economy and consequences far beyond a mere flu epidemic.

Tweets from Dr. Eric Feigl-Ding"

1/ "HOLY MOTHER OF GOD - the new coronavirus is a 3.8!!! How bad is that reproductive R0 value? It is thermonuclear pandemic level bad - never seen an actual virality coefficient outside of Twitter in my entire career. I’m not exaggerating...

2/ “We estimate the basic reproduction number of the infection (R_0) to be 3.8 (95% confidence interval, 3.6-4.0), indicating that 72-75% of transmissions must be prevented by control measures for infections to stop increasing...

3/ ... We estimate that only 5.1% (95%CI, 4.8-5.5) of infections in Wuhan are identified, and by 21 January a total of 11,341 people (prediction interval, 9,217-14,245) had been infected in Wuhan since the start of the year. Should the epidemic continue unabated in Wuhan....

4/ we predict the epidemic in Wuhan will be substantially larger by 4 February (191,529 infections; prediction interval, 132,751-273,649), infection will be established in other Chinese cities, and importations to other countries will be more frequent. Our model suggests that..

5/ travel restrictions from and to Wuhan city are unlikely to be effective in halting transmission across China; with a 99% effective reduction in travel, the size of the epidemic outside of Wuhan may only be reduced by 24.9% on 4 February. Our findings are...

6/ ...critically dependent on the assumptions underpinning our model, and the timing and reporting of confirmed cases, and there is considerable uncertainty associated with the outbreak at this early stage. With these caveats in mind, our work suggests that...

7/ a basic reproductive number for this 2019-nCoV outbreak is higher compared to other emergent coronaviruses, suggesting that containment or control of this pathogen may be substantially more difficult.”!!!!

9/ ...cannot be stopped by containment alone. A 99% quarantine lockdown containment of Wuhan will not even reduce the epidemic’s spread by even 1/3rd in the next 2 weeks. Thus, I really hate to be the epidemiologist who has to admit this, but we are potentially faced with...

10/ ... possibly an unchecked pandemic that the world has not seen since the 1918 Spanish Influenza. Let’s hope it doesn’t reach that level but we now live in the modern world with faster than 1918. @WHO and @CDCgov needs to declare public health emergency ASAP!

11/ REFERENCE for the R0 attack rate (reproductive coefficient) of 3.8 and the 99% containment models come from this paper: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.01.23.20018549v1 …

12/ What is the typical R0 attack rate for the seasonal flu in most years? It’s around an R0=1.28. The 2009 flu pandemic? R0=1.48. The 1918 Spanish Flu? 1.80. This new #WuhanCoronavirus reproductive value again? R0=3.8. (Flu reference: https://bmcinfectdis.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1471-2334-14-480 …)

13/ ...and it gets even worse, the Lancet now reports that the coronavirus is contagious even when *no symptoms*: specifically: “crucial to isolate patients... quarantine contacts as early as possible because asymptomatic infection appears possible”!

14/ Let’s pretend the 3.8 estimate is too high (there’s unpublished estimates of 2.5). even if this virus’s R0=2.5, that’s still 2x higher than seasonal flu’s 1.28 (ref above), and higher than 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic of 1.80 that killed millions. So 2.8 is still super bad folks

15) My response to some people who think I’m trying to stoke fear... I’m a Harvard trained scientist with a doctorate in epidemiology (and the youngest dual doctoral grad from Harvard SPH). Here are my response: https://twitter.com/drericding/status/1220999410877898754?s=21 … https://twitter.com/drericding/status/1220999410877898754 …

Aaj ka hero

Has left
Banned
Country flag
Beyond the human tragedy of a large city without food and transportation, the banning of tour groups in all of China, interdiction of large assemblies of over 100 people (during the Chinese new year!), closing down of parks, stores and many other amenities, it is the whole Chinese economy which is grinding down to a halt for the new year with no end in sight!
This to my opinion is the real risk of the Wuhan Corona virus. Not that it will become a world pandemic although there is still a relatively small chance that it will but that it could be the black swan that bring the next recession with a global crash of the world economy and consequences far beyond a mere flu epidemic.

Economy is not important than this CAN BE TURNED INTO WORLD WAR Z situation.
World crash can be taken care off, first this ERICK DICK FING or whatever must not compare a disease to economy.
page bharna hai to kuch bhi likh do.

f3243007008

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
An answer I got from a Chinese website it was translated.

I am an ordinary Wuhan resident, I work for medical equipment companies, so I'm half involved with the hospital systems.
The situation in Wuhan is definitely not as simple as you imagine it, the medical system is nearing collapse.
Hospitals desperately lack resources, especially critical protective equipment, all the major hospitals are asking for donations in money and resources.
From this, you can imagine the utter apathy of the government, while hospitals lack basic supplies, armed soldiers in full hazmat suits surround Wuhan to 'ensure stability'.
All the major fever hospitals have lines hundreds of people long. When patients die, corpses just lie on the ground, uncared for, all the medical staff are near mental breakdowns, and the hospital leadership/administration have given up.
Patients cluster up in closed rooms, some patients are hysterical, some collapse to the floor, throwing away their money, they are also near breakdown, and the situation is only getting further out of control

The situation in Wuhan is no longer a matter of medical treatment, if the hospital systems collapse, the consequences make one shudder. I am not being alarmist, nor am I making 'fake news', horrific videos are being shared like wildfire, if you want to see them, I can provide them. It is becoming a humanitarian crisis, please share this, and ask for help from the international society.

At first I had some doubts about this troops and everything but now even videos are out:-

They have deployed troops in the city while the higher ups have left they have quarantined a whole province now all cities in it.

Look at this:-

https://twitter.com/IsChinar/status/1220509128759685120?s=20

Is this normal.
Armed guards at hospitals

This video is not hospital , this is railway station , not allow people get out of Wuhan city.

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
Can anybody answer ?
Do we have any informants spread across china that can report about the situation.

I hope the Indian gov has ground intelligence in China, it is better to prevent infestations from reaching China than fight it after it spreads.

Bhoot Pishach

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Another confirmation of above posted Article.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/how-new-wuhan-coronavirus-stacks-up-against-sars-mers

How the new coronavirus stacks up against SARS and MERS
For the third time since around 2003, a coronavirus has jumped from animals to people

A new coronavirus called 2019 novel coronavirus, or 2019-nCoV, (seen here in a transmission electron micrograph) is spreading in China. It is similar to both SARS and MERS.

Courtesy: IVDC, China CDC via GISAID

Share this:
By Tina Hesman Saey

January 24, 2020 at 4:22 pm

Coronaviruses, one of a variety of viruses that cause colds, have been making people cough and sneeze seemingly forever. But occasionally, a new version infects people and causes serious illness and deaths.

That is happening now with the coronavirus that has killed at least 26 people and sickened at least 900 since it emerged in central China in December. The World Health Organization is monitoring the virus’s spread to see whether it will turn into a global public health emergency (SN: 1/23/20).

Among the ill are two people in the United States who contracted the virus during travels in China. A Chicago woman in her 60s is the second U.S. case of the new coronavirus, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention confirmed January 24 in a news conference.

Officials are currently monitoring 63 people across 22 states for signs of the pneumonia-like disease, including fever, cough and other respiratory symptoms. Of those people, 11 have tested negative for the virus. Two, including the newest case and another patient in Seattle, tested positive, the CDC reported (SN: 1/21/20).

Headlines and summaries of the latest Science News articles, delivered to your inbox

E-mail*

France reported two cases on January 24 as well, the first in Europe.

Much still remains unknown about the new coronavirus (SN: 1/10/20), which for now is being called 2019 novel coronavirus, or 2019-nCoV. Lessons learned from previous coronavirus outbreaks, including severe acute respiratory syndrome, or SARS, and Middle East respiratory syndrome, or MERS, may help health officials head off some of the more serious consequences from this virus outbreak.

What are coronaviruses?
Coronaviruses are round and surrounded by a halo of spiky proteins, giving them a resemblance to a crown or the sun’s wispy corona.

Four major categories, or genera, of coronavirus exist. They’re known by the Greek letters alpha, beta, delta and gamma. Only alpha and beta coronaviruses are known to infect people. These viruses spread through the air, and just four types (known as 229E, NL63, OC43 and HKU1) are responsible for about 10 to 30 percent of colds around the world.

What makes a virus a coronavirus is only loosely enshrined in its DNA. “The coronavirus designation is less about the genetics and more about the way it appears under a microscope,” says Brent C. Satterfield, cofounder and chief scientific officer of Co-Diagnostics, a company based in Salt Lake City and Gujarat, India, that is developing molecular tests for diagnosing coronavirus infections.

Coronaviruses’ genetic makeup is composed of RNA, a single-stranded chemical cousin of DNA. Viruses in the family often aren’t very similar on the genetic level, with some types having more differences between them than humans have from elephants, Satterfield says.

The new virus’s proteins are between 70 and 99 percent identical to their counterparts in the SARS virus, says Karla Satchell, a microbiologist and immunologist at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine in Chicago.

A new coronavirus spreading in China is similar to SARS, but many of its proteins have important differences. Here, the new virus’s similarities (gray) and differences (red) with SARS of the amino acids in a protein that studs the surface of the viruses are shown in two views. Those differences may affect the viruses’ infectivity and how well drugs developed to combat other coronaviruses work against the new one.Courtesy of GISAID Initiative
How dangerous is a coronavirus infection?
Usually coronavirus illnesses are fairly mild, affecting just the upper airway. But the new virus, as well as both SARS and MERS, are different.

Those three types of betacoronaviruses can latch onto proteins studding the outside of lung cells, and penetrate much deeper into the airway than cold-causing coronaviruses, says Anthony Fauci, director of the U.S. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases in Bethesda, M.D. The 2019 version is “a disease that causes more lung disease than sniffles,” Fauci says.

Damage to the lungs can make the viruses deadly. In 2003 and 2004, SARS killed nearly 10 percent of the 8,096 people in 29 countries who fell ill. A total of 774 people died, according to the World Health Organization.

MERS is even more deadly, claiming about 30 percent of people it infects. Unlike SARS, outbreaks of that virus are still simmering, Fauci says. Since 2012, MERS has caused 2,494 confirmed cases in 27 countries and killed 858 people.

MERS can spread from person to person, and some “superspreaders” have passed the virus on to many others. Most famously, 186 people contracted MERS after one businessman unwittingly brought the virus to South Korea in 2015 and spread it to others. Another superspreader who caught MERS from that man passed the virus to 82 people over just two days while being treated in a hospital emergency room (SN: 7/8/16).

Right now, 2019-nCoV appears to be less virulent, with about a 4 percent mortality rate. But that number is still a moving target as more cases are diagnosed, Fauci says. As of January 23, the new coronavirus had infected more than 581 people, with about a quarter of those becoming seriously ill, according to the WHO. By January 24, the number of reported infections had risen to at least 900.

An analysis of the illness in the first 41 patients diagnosed with 2019-nCoV from Wuhan, China suggests that the virus acts similarly to SARS and MERS. Like the other two, 2019-nCoV causes pneumonia. But unlike those viruses, the new one rarely produces runny noses or intestinal symptoms, researchers report January 24 in the Lancet. Most of the people affected in that first group were healthy, with fewer than a third having chronic medical conditions that could make them more vulnerable to infection.

Disease tracker
An infection with a new coronavirus begins with an onset of symptoms including fever, cough and fatigue. Those symptoms can then intensify fairly quickly, resulting in hospital admission and acute respiratory disease syndrome, or ARDS (median time from onset of symptoms, shown).

How fast a new coronavirus can sicken

C. Huang et al/Lancet 2020
Where do new coronaviruses come from?
Coronaviruses are zoonotic, meaning they originate in animals and sometimes leap to humans. The first 2019-nCoV infections detected in December were in patients who had visited the Huanan seafood market in Wuhan. The market was closed January 1, but health officials have yet to determine from which type of animal the virus jumped to humans.

Bats are often thought of as a source of coronaviruses, but in most cases they don’t pass the virus directly on to humans. SARS probably first jumped from bats into raccoon dogs or palm civets before making the leap to humans. All the pieces necessary to re-create SARS are circulating among bats, though that virus has not been seen since 2004 (SN: 11/30/17).

MERS, meanwhile, went from bats to camels before leaping to humans (SN: 2/25/14). A paper published January 22 in the Journal of Medical Virology suggests that the new coronavirus has components from bat coronaviruses, but that snakes may have passed the virus to humans. But many virologists are skeptical that snakes are behind the outbreak (SN: 1/24/20).

How contagious are coronaviruses?
It depends on the coronavirus, but neither SARS or MERS have been able to sustain human-to-human transmission the way influenza viruses can, Fauci says. That’s because the viruses haven’t fully adapted to infect humans, “and maybe they never will,” he says.

Still, “this is a family of viruses that was formerly just the common cold,” he says. “But now, in the last 18 years, we’ve had three examples of it jumping species and causing serious disease in humans.” He and colleagues wrote an article published January 23 in JAMA to illustrate what they see as the growing threat from coronaviruses.

In Wuhan, the new coronavirus has been able to transmit down a chain of up to four people, health officials said. Five members of a family from Shenzhen, China caught the virus when they visited infected relatives in Wuhan, researchers report January 24 in the Lancet. Travelers have also carried the virus from China to at least seven other countries, including the United States. No human-to-human transmission has yet been reported outside of China, the WHO said. All of the deaths have also been in that country.

Epidemiologists are frantically calculating how infectious the new virus is, says Maimuna Majumder, a computational epidemiologist at Boston Children’s Hospital and Harvard Medical School.

The number that describes how many people a newly infected person is likely to pass a virus to is called R0, pronounced R naught (SN: 5/28/19). SARS, for instance, had an R0 between two and five, meaning that in a fully susceptible population an infected person could potentially spread the virus to two to five others. (Highly contagious measles, in comparison, has a R0 from 12 to 18.)

Estimates for the infectivity of the new virus range from the WHO’s estimate of 1.4 to 2.5 to a much bigger 3.6 to 4.0 calculation from Jonathan Read of Lancaster University in England and colleagues. Read’s group estimates that only about 5.1 percent of cases in Wuhan have been identified. The researchers reported the preliminary results January 24 at medRxiv.org.

That’s probably not because the Chinese government is covering up how bad the outbreak is, Majumder says. Many people may have had only mild symptoms or none at all. Those people probably wouldn’t go to the doctor and get tested for the virus.

Majumder and Harvard colleague Kenneth Mandl used a different method to calculate R0 for the new virus, estimating based on cases reported as of January 22 that its transmissibility falls from 2.0 to 3.3. Their results were posted to SSRN on January 23.

Meanwhile, Christian Althaus and Julien Riou, both of the University of Bern in Switzerland, posted data to Github supporting their calculation that the new virus’s infectivity is between 1.4 and 3.8. Each of those calculations was arrived at using different methods. While they are slightly different, they overlap, and Majumder says she’s reassured that the numbers are similar.

Similar infectivity to SARS doesn’t mean the new virus will spread like that one did.

“Having SARS in [our] history can help inform some these decisions that we’re going to make now. Back then, we were less prepared than we are now,” Majumder says.

What treatments are available?
For now, all doctors can do is treat symptoms of the new disease. Researchers have also developed some experimental treatments based on SARS and MERS, including antibodies that may help combat the infections, Fauci says.

Getting samples of the new virus may allow researchers to develop “monoclonal” antibodies in the lab. Or scientists may be able to take immune B cells from people who already have recovered from the virus to produce antibodies to help other infected people.

Some antiviral medications have shown promise in treating MERS, and are being tested for their effectiveness against 2019-nCoV. Experimental vaccines, Facui wrote in JAMA, including some based on RNA, are also in the works.

Erin Garcia de Jesus contributed to reporting of this story.

Questions or comments on this article? E-mail us at [email protected]

Citations
C.L. Paules, H. D. Marston and A. S. Fauci. Coronavirus infections—More than just the common cold. JAMA. Published online January 23, 2020. doi: 10.1001/jama.2020.0757.

W. Ji et al. Homologous recombination within the spike glycoprotein of the newly identified coronavirus may boost cross‐species transmission from snake to human. Journal of Medical Virology. Published online January 22, 2020. doi: 10.1002/jmv.25682.

C. Huang et al. Clinical features of patients infected with 2019 novel coronavirus in Wuhan, China. The Lancet. Published online January 24, 2020. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(20)30183-5.

J.F-W Chan et al. A familial cluster of pneumonia associated with the 2019 novel coronavirus indicating person-to-person transmission: a study of a family cluster. The Lancet. January 24, 2020. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(20)30154-9.

M. Majumder and K.D. Mandl. Early transmissibility assessment of a novel coronavirus in Wuhan, China. SSRN. January 23, 2020.

J. Riou and C.L. Althaus. Pattern of early human-to-human transmission of Wuhan 2019-nCoV. Github. January 24, 2020.

J. M. Read et al. Novel coronavirus 2019-nCoV: early estimation of epidemiological parameters and epidemic predictions. medRxiv.org. January 24, 2020. doi: 10.1101/2020.01.23.20018549.

f3243007008

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
A 1000-bed hospital in less than a week is next-level pseudo-commie stuff of dreams indeed!!
Hope they are not cutting down on tea / biscooot /loo breaks, lunch break to eat all kinds of animals is given and post-lunch snooze time are also allowed.

If not, Alice Wells should ask China to uphold worker's rights and ensure no one is exploited.
Don't underestimate the executive ability of the Communist Party

You need to know its Chinese new year , most of worker are on holiday.

Many worker nearby come to construct this hospital voluntarily

Last edited:

Bhoot Pishach

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Economy is not important than this CAN BE TURNED INTO WORLD WAR Z situation. World crash can be taken care off, first this
ERICK DICK FING or whatever must not compare a disease to economy.
page bharna hai to kuch bhi likh do.
Do you even read the whole article???

If you read it then do you understand the gravity of the situation??

For you, kindly read my next post #104. Which is from www.sciencenews.org

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/how-new-wuhan-coronavirus-stacks-up-against-sars-mers

How the new coronavirus stacks up against SARS and MERS

Global Defence

New threads

Articles