Corner Shot / Non Line of sight infantry weapons.

Logan

Country flag
But how come the grip on the INSAS change ,,is the OFB producing a newer version of it??

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
What do you want? Iron sights used at the same time as the scope? What is the point of that? Either you are in conditions where you need it, or you are not.

View the quick release latch... just squeeze and the scope is gone.
Yes, I want my iron sight operational while FCS/Scope active at same time..

CONDITIONS: In Urban environment, we have to clear buildings, from one corner to another corner, lets say i shoot 1st tango via corner-shot, to check he is alive or not i have to go near him, for that i have to ready for the 2nd tango coming in front of me, in that situation i need iron sight ( Not reflex ), i don't have time to change my scope every-time i change my position from corner to corner, i need my iron sights to be operational for straight shots..

You may also say that Why not to use scope from straight shot too, I would have answer: while using a scope in buildings in close combat situation u have limited view of your surrounding hence reaction time is also reduced..

The problem with keeping your sights in use with the scope is the sights have to be under the scope, which places the scope too high to line up with the muzzle azimuth. It can't be done if you want an ergonomic scope that comfortably matches with your shoulder.
This can be done, not this way but keeping the FCS inside a rifle only the cam/infra lens outside just above the barrel ( not too close to muzzle flasher ) Just above the cams u will have Iron sights and rail..

@Sayareakd,
That Israeli FCS`s PDF u posted is good and it is gr8 for F-INSAS project, a JV product can speed up the project, Insas original is not that good coze of its length..

Kunal Biswas.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
In any environment, there is only one condition at a time. If you are in urban with good light/weather, use the sights for quick acquisition. If it is dark or poor visibility, use the scope. It only takes 2 seconds to change it out. The scope itself has a daytime CCD sight with cross-hairs, you can still acquire targets quickly using it. Just as good if not better than iron sights. Just don't put the rifle down from prone position.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
In any environment, there is only one condition at a time. If you are in urban with good light/weather, use the sights for quick acquisition. If it is dark or poor visibility, use the scope. It only takes 2 seconds to change it out. The scope itself has a daytime CCD sight with cross-hairs, you can still acquire targets quickly using it. Just as good if not better than iron sights.
That is the way for all present systems and indeed thats the way we can do the job now, but the need for new rifle will be require in future specially for F-INSAS program, a rifle in Army without Iron-sight is useless, specially for Indian Army..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
That is the way for all present systems and indeed thats the way we can do the job now, but the need for new rifle will be require in future specially for F-INSAS program, a rifle in Army without Iron-sight is useless, specially for Indian Army..
Think about what you want, it would have to be a pinhole camera for it to fit where you can still use it and the sights. Then you would still need a viewfinder to look through it. Where are you going to put the viewfinder so it isn't in the way? How are you going to reduce your camera to the thickness of a pencil and still have IR? Can't be done in IR optics miniaturisation for several generations and really serves no point. F-INSAS certainly won't have it and neither will any other future soldier system.

A.V.

we have a thread on cornershot try using the search function for the location and more info

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Think about what you want, it would have to be a pinhole camera for it to fit where you can still use it and the sights. Then you would still need a viewfinder to look through it. Where are you going to put the viewfinder so it isn't in the way? How are you going to reduce your camera to the thickness of a pencil and still have IR? Can't be done in IR optics miniaturisation for several generations and really serves no point. F-INSAS certainly won't have it and neither will any other future soldier system.
I have already mentioned what i want..
Miniaturization is important, but is not necessary to have a pinhole camera, the system needs to be expanded inside the rifle, the tip of cameras can be outside as i have mentioned in my previous posts, their are good pencil size cam are avaliable today in civilian world, In military their are advance ones, Their are NV which are small enough to operate inside a rifle, In present world these systems are in use within Army and other branches, though regarding present Future solider programs these qualitys are yet to evolve!

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
paramvir 3 Hours Ago
Gurus please excuse but, looks like a man shooting a regular pistol from a corner
this is non line of sight, you see the policeman, was not in the line of target, he is in the non line of sight of target, therefore target cannot shoot at the policeman.

hope this will explain you the significance of this device.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Actually, it is line of sight. The gun has to point at the target. True NLOS is like artillery, or mortars. A grenade launcher can be NLOS.

The significance of this device is a corner shot. It can be useful for a pistol. But it doesn't carry the resolution or firepower for an assault rifle. That is why the product is for law enforcement. Personally, I would not want to wear that bulky arm band.