Commemoration of Muharram

ejazr

Ambassador
The Islamic new Year began around 2 weeks ago. The first month is called Muharram (meaning respected)

The tenth of Muharram is also significant because Imam Hussain the grandson of the Prophet was martyred on this day as well and observe a solemn occasion for mourning. Shias also take out processions although there is difference of opinion on wether hurting yourself is legitmate way to mourn or not. The martydom of Hussain (RA) is a story of how even in "apparent" defeat, the morally right will be victorious.

Muslims also observe fasts on the two days around 10th of Muharram

Shias commemorate Imam Hussain's martyrdom

MUMBAI: Muharram, the first month of Islamic calendar began on December 7 and most Muslims, especially the Shias, are in mourning. Shia families have put all celebrations, like birthdays and weddings on hold till December 17, Ashura (the day of martyrdom of Imam Hussain, grandson of Prophet Mohammed). Some Shias have postponed all celebrations till the 40th day of the martyrdom of Hussain and his 72 companions at battle of Karbala ( Iraq) in the 7th century.

"Forget about having parties and celebrations, Shias even avoid eating delicious food during this month. Men and women mostly wear black to commemorate one of the most tragic events in Islamic history," said Mohib Nasser of Mehfil-e-Mohibbane Panchtan, an organization formed in the memory of the Prophet, his daughter Fatima Zahra, son-in-law Hazrat Ali and grandsons Imam Hassan and Imam Hussain.

The Shia pockets in the city wear a sombre look with senior clerics delivering discourses on the significance of Hussain's tragic death at the hands of the army of Yazid, a debauch Ummayid caliph.

The Iranian Mosque, also known as the Mughal mosque, at Dongri sees Mumbai's largest congregation of Muharram mourners. And the chief speaker Maulana Mirza Athar who has delivered his annual Muharram lecture at the venue for the last 53 years is here again. "I didn't know I would continue my attachment with Mumbai for so long. The city loves me and I love the city," says the 75-year-old Mirza Athar, a revered Shia scholar from Lucknow. The scholar's unique feat may see him get an entry into the Limca Book of Records soon. "We have sent all the relevant documents to the Limca Book of Records as there is no one else in the world who has spoken at one venue annually without a break for the last 43 years. He was here even when he was ill," says Kausar Zaidi who has anchored the Mughal Masjid's Muharram programme for the last 22 years.

Though issue of terrorism normally features in his speeches, Mirza Athar is especially stressing on it this year as Muharram began on the day terror struck the holy ghats of Varanasi. "Those who killed an innocent child and injured many cannot be Muslims. They are the barbarians for whom Islam has only condemnation," says the scholar. "Islam never sanctions killing of the innocents and severest punishment awaits the perpetrators of the heinous crime, if not here, then hereafter."

Last edited:

maomao

Veteran Hunter of Maleecha
Country flag
Bloody hell.......we Indians are sooo much aloof Religion that we don't even know what to say....Same goes for me :)

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
What to say? i guess the same you would say on the death anniversary of any founder of religion and his sons.

10th of Moharram is very important for Shias in particular. Its a day which is more important than Eid as well. If their was no Husain, there would have been no Islam. Going into details is very difficult and is a never ending topic of discussion.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
What to say? i guess the same you would say on the death anniversary of any founder of religion and his sons.

10th of Moharram is very important for Shias in particular. Its a day which is more important than Eid as well. If their was no Husain, there would have been no Islam. Going into details is very difficult and is a never ending topic of discussion.
But Husayn ibn Ali wasn't the founder of Islam...and i see mourning by shias totally illogical.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
But Husayn ibn Ali wasn't the founder of Islam...and i see mourning by shias totally illogical.
Prophet was the founder of Islam, Husain was the saviour.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Husayn ibn 'AlÄ« ibn AbÄ« Ṭālib (Arabic: حسين بن علي بن أﺑﻲ طالب"Ž)"Ž (3rd Sha'bān 4 AH - 10th Muharram 61 AH; 8 January 626 AD - 10 October 680 AD) was the son of 'AlÄ« ibn AbÄ« Ṭālib (final Rashidun Caliph and first Shia Imām) and Fātimah Zahrā (daughter of Muhammad). Husayn is an important figure in Islām as he is a member of the Ahl al-Bayt (the household of Muhammad) and Ahl al-Kisā, as well as being a ShÄ«a Imām, and one of The Fourteen Infallibles of ShÄ«a Twelvers. He is recognized as the 'Martyr Of Martyrs' by both Sunni and Shia.

Husayn ibn 'Alī is exalted by all the Shīa as a martyr who fought tyranny as he refused to pledge allegiance to the tyrantYazīd I, the Umayyad caliph. He rose up to create a regime that would reinstate a "true" Islāmic polity as opposed to what he considered the unjust rule of the Umayyads. As a consequence, Husayn was killed and beheaded in the Battle of Karbalā in 680 (61AH) by Shimr Ibn Thil-Jawshan. The anniversary of his Shahid martyrdom is called 'Āshūrā ("tenth" day of Muharram) and is a day of mourning for the Shīa Muslims. Revenge for Husayn's death was turned into a rallying cry that helped undermine the Umayyad caliphate and gave impetus to the rise of a powerful Shīa movement.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Prophet was the founder of Islam, Husain was the saviour.
That is disputed though....shias say he should have succeeded because of blood relation whereas sunnis say Prophet said to the elders to choose amongst themselves who will lead after him.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Ernesto,

That is the dispute that has historically caused the schism!

One could go on debating but if they have not found the answer, I don't think we could either!

:)

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
That is disputed though....shias say he should have succeeded because of blood relation whereas sunnis say Prophet said to the elders to choose amongst themselves who will lead after him.
Matter of individual faith. Like i said in my earlier post. This is not the forum to discuss all that and i certainly wont take part even if someone did want to discuss it.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Ernesto,

That is the dispute that has historically caused the schism!

One could go on debating but if they have not found the answer, I don't think we could either!

:)
There is always solution if people are logical! Answer is simple. Believe in God and not in humans.

There should be no middle man between you and God. Even Prophet himself said that dont worship me because i am merely a man and i do what God tells me to do.

Matter of individual faith. Like i said in my earlier post. This is not the forum to discuss all that and i certainly wont take part even if someone did want to discuss it.
Alright. :)

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
But people are not logical.

Neither is religion. Any religion!

They only give a message to guide people to live a decent and honest life.

There are so many parables and examples in them that which apparently defy logic and scientific explanation!

Just a matter of faith!

One should look to the inner meaning that Moharrum signifies.

That is where the beauty and verity lies!

Last edited:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Ernesto, the concept of God was spread by the founders of religion. At least as far as Abrahamic religions are concerned. So yes we pray only to God, but the one who showed the way to God is respected, be it Moses, Jesus or Mohammed (PBUH). And as muslims, shias in particular, the household of Mohammed PBUH is very important and are revered.

ejazr

Ambassador
Well my purpose was to just inform people about this as it is a public holiday but not many people know about what Muharram is about. The two Eid are obviously the more well known and important festivals as well.

Let me clarify that for all Muslims including Sunnis, Muharram is sacred month. The 9th, 10th and 11th are days of fasting are most important after Ramadan. Although Sunnis agree and commerate the martydom of Hazrat Hussain in Muharram, there is difference of opinion on wether they should hold mourning sessions particularly in public. That is why usually shias hold these processions. There is also difference of opinion among shia scholars who hold that mourning should be symbolic and should not result in blood being spilt or hurting oneself while others do it with passion saying that this is their way of commemorating the event.

So mainly two points about Muharram

(1) For all muslims after Ramadan, Muharram is a sacred month and start of the new Islamic calendar. The 9th 10th and 11th days are important for fasting and have most important reward after Ramadan.

(2) For mainly Shias, it is a day to remember the sacrifices of Hussain (RA) against tyranny. A story of being victorious due to their moral standing even in "apparent" defeat. To mark this day they hold special mourning sessions and processions. While Sunni school of though although sorrowful of the event do not consider it necessary to hold special mourning sessions.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles