Combat Aircraft technology and Evolution

Defcon 1

Country flag
Starting a new thread to act as the air force equivalent of "MBT and armor technology" thread for general discussion related to combat aircraft.

I have a question, In the India pakistan scenario, where the ground based radars have excellent coverage all over the airspace, do the passive detection technologies such as IRST and RWR still hold any significance? Considering that one's aircraft will be detected by the enemy regardless of whether it switches on its radar or not? Thanks.

Defcon 1

Country flag
@Kunal Biswas @p2prada @Austin

Hi, Do you guys know if any upgrade of HMD system of Mig29 was performed in Mig29UPG upgrade? Do you have any informational source on that which can explain the upgrades in deep? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

p2prada

@Kunal Biswas @p2prada @Austin

Hi, Do you guys know if any upgrade of HMD system of Mig29 was performed in Mig29UPG upgrade? Do you have any informational source on that which can explain the upgrades in deep? Thanks
It is only an upgrade of the first HMS system. No HMD.

Shchel-3UM-1.

Before that it was Shchel-3UM on Mig-29A.

Igor had posted the upgrade list on his blog. Kunal posted it.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
A noob question... Why doesn't aircrafts have a tail mounted CIWS for defense against VSHORADS & SHORADS? Is it only due to size and weight?

Ilyushin Il-102 had a similar thing...

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Its a tail gunner, the philosophy of shooting down aircraft from WW2, IAF IL-76 dont have a tail gunner..

Decklander

Topsight HMD is being used in IN MIG-29K. Same was supposed to be fitted to upgraded MIG-29s of IAF

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Sir, the pic is of IL-102, not IL-76.

My question is what stops aircrafts to have an automated tail mounted CIWS for defense against VSHORADS & SHORADS?

Its a tail gunner, the philosophy of shooting down aircraft from WW2, IAF IL-76 dont have a tail gunner..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Both Air crafts So does many other Soviet Origin even B-52 have this Philosophy which is no longer present in new generation bomber and transport..

Israeli are working on some thing similar but its more like Iron fist APS on helicopter, About cannon ( CIWS ) on aircraft, SAMs are too small and fast so does more felxiable, Adding a good cannon based CIWS also increase weight..

Sir, the pic is of IL-102, not IL-76.

My question is what stops aircrafts to have an automated tail mounted CIWS for defense against VSHORADS & SHORADS?

gadeshi

NPO Salut termal-resiatant alloys casting facilities:

NPO Salut 100 years of History:

As it is stated in the video, Russian 5-gen engine will have 9000 hours of full lifecycle.

gadeshi

Engine Plant in Perm:

Item 117 engine in UMPO test station:

The Last Stand

Country flag
Off topic: Aircraft junkies on this forum seem to be jealous of us tankies.

Anyway, can somebody post information on the MiG-19?

I always thought that the Farmer was underrated.

And perhaps the Focke-Wulf aircrafts during WW2?

I have a pretty nice book on 20th century aircrafts, I'll see what I can scan from it tomorrow.

Last edited:

gadeshi

Chinese the most technically competent PS 5-gen project:

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
The B-52 Gunners

Few know it now, but enlisted gunners protected B-52 bombers through the 1991 Gulf War.

From his gunner position in the back of the bomber, SSgt. Samuel O. Turner detected the enemy fighter just before it began its firing pass.

The attacker came in from below and behind, climbing quickly, while a second bogey lingered in the distance to observe the coming combat. The wrangle did not last long. As the fighter came within range Turner fired a six-second burst from his tail guns—about 700 rounds...

B-52s featured defensive armament in the tail: A through G models had quad .50-caliber machine guns, and H models employed a single M61 20 mm rotary cannon. The gunners who manned these weapons were enlisted personnel. They were the only enlisted airmen in a B-52 crew...

In the B-52H, the .50-caliber machine guns were replaced with an AN/ASG-21 defensive fire-control system using a 20 mm six-barrel cannon—a modern, high-rate-of-fire weapon. But as long-range air-to-air missiles became more lethal, the very notion of having a gunner came under review.

Global Defence

Articles