CLGM: Cannon Launched Guided Missile

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Re: CLGM Tests Successful

VEM Technologies eventually chosen to provide 30 units of the system, conformance with the design drawings, manufacturing process & quality standards provided to it by the DRDO labs.
==========

They are already ready for trails ..

sgarg

Nice. shows maturity is weapons design. Great work.

AshutoshNSingh

What I am listening? Drdo replacing Israeli Lahat missile with CLGM in Arjun Mk 2? The delay caused by these indigenisation efforts would cost our AFs dear.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

It was always been the CLGM designated for Arjuns, Their are no mention of delays ..

Archer

Country flag
Re: Indigenous Seeker Technology

Saurav Jha's Blog : Seeking the future: An interview with Dr G Satheesh Reddy, Director Research Centre Imarat

So, mmW seeker for HELINA is dropped. Instead it would use MEMS FOG (indigenous), plus G3OM for initial navigation, and 6-7km range IIR for terminal homing.

mmW seeker would now be used instead for Active ARM and PGMs.

To look out for:
1> Dual colour IIR
2> PGMs in the likeness of Brimstone or Vikhr
3> Conventional MIRV carried by SRBMs for saturation attack on HVTs
4> New Gen Active Anti-Radiation Missile

I do hope the PGM being developed is a dual mode stand-off one, using a front looking mmW seeker and a much cheeper and more effective rear looking Laser detector (as in the Vikhr)
What this means is that HELINA and mmW seeker tech will be leveraged for a desi-Brimstone type system.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag

Cannon Launch Missile Development Programme
The main objective of the project is to design, develop, test, and demonstrate a semi-active Laser homing cannon launched missile that can be launched from 120mm gun and a tripod. All sub-systems of missile have been developed. Instrumented development flight tests were conducted from tripod launcher.Dynamic performance of propulsion system was satisfactory. Ballistic range > 6 km was achieved. Mid-course guidance capability has been successfully tested. Main High explosive anti-tank (HEAT) warhead tested against rolled homogeneous armour (RHA) and a consistent penetration of >750mm were achieved. A gimbaled laser seeker with a seeking range of ~2km has been developed and flight tested

http://www.drdo.gov.in/drdo/English/DRDO-a-glimpse-ebook.pdf

It was always been the CLGM designated for Arjuns, Their are no mention of delays ..

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Re: Indigenous Seeker Technology

@Kunal Biswas @pmaitra I see that the "Indigenous Seeker Technology" thread has been merged with the CLGM thread. The former was created for discussion on seekers of all Indian missiles, not just CLGM. Could it be de-merged please?

Last edited by a moderator:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Unfortunately this cannot be undo, Though a new thread can be created again and same content can be copied their ..

PaliwalWarrior

interestingly going thru the DRDO ebook

it seems that DRDO is working on AESA seeker for missiles !!!

just like the one found on Russian Air to Air missiles and ewven the west does not seem t have it on thier missiles at the moment

interesting since

it is AESA - to be mounted on missiles

it seeks miniaturisation tof a very high level - when we are struggling to miniaturise AESA to the level of LCA Tejas

power_monger

Country flag
interestingly going thru the DRDO ebook

it seems that DRDO is working on AESA seeker for missiles !!!

just like the one found on Russian Air to Air missiles and ewven the west does not seem t have it on thier missiles at the moment

interesting since

it is AESA - to be mounted on missiles

it seeks miniaturisation tof a very high level - when we are struggling to miniaturise AESA to the level of LCA Tejas
we are not struggling with AESA radar for LCA tejas.Utam radar has been under roof top testing with harware being completly realised.ASEA radar development generally takes long times. Struggling word would give a entirely different meaning to say "Under development".And We have already installed AESA radar in AWACS(although this one is slightly different).

PaliwalWarrior

we are not struggling with AESA radar for LCA tejas.Utam radar has been under roof top testing with harware being completly realised.ASEA radar development generally takes long times. Struggling word would give a entirely different meaning to say "Under development".And We have already installed AESA radar in AWACS(although this one is slightly different).
i agree with you
but then you need to read what i wrote comletely

i wrote

"when we are struggling to miniaturise AESA to the level of LCA Tejas "

means we are struggling to miniaturise the AESA not in developing the AESA

power_monger

Country flag
i agree with you
but then you need to read what i wrote comletely

i wrote

"when we are struggling to miniaturise AESA to the level of LCA Tejas "

means we are struggling to miniaturise the AESA not in developing the AESA
Ok I got your point, Uttam is 40 Kgs more than current MMR radar. you meant to say,we are not able to shelve those 40 kgs to bring AESA into LCA mk1?Am i right?

PaliwalWarrior

Ok I got your point, Uttam is 40 Kgs more than current MMR radar. you meant to say,we are not able to shelve those 40 kgs to bring AESA into LCA mk1?Am i right?
i meant to say

the Airborne AWACS aesa has all modes tested out - a2a a2g etc

right now uttam has only a2a mode tested out

also the cooling system is still not developed
+
there is range difference between Awacs AESA (indian) & Uttam

while uttam will only be 100km radar - the indian Awacs AESA will be much much more than that
atleast uttam should have had 150-180km range
i know that this is just the beginning and there will be uttam mk2 mk3 with progressively higher ranges

but this points out to difficulties in miniaturisation with higher rnage that is ofund on Indian Awacs AESA though htere may be some power availability issues too on LCA with engine being considered underpowered but that will not hold for LCA Mk2

sgarg

@PaliwalWarrior, any discussion of radar ranges should be combined with the weapons carried by that aircraft. What is more critical is tracking and engagement of the target. India has multiple aircrafts and land based resources that will be used to detect enemy air activity. All will not be done by airborne radar of a specific aircraft only.

LCA Tejas will be used as point defense fighters (at least initially) where the fighters will be vectored into area of action. It is not that a Tejas will have to find its own target completely by itself.

If LCA Tejas can engage an aircraft in 40-45 km envelope, then it is quite sufficient for meeting challenges on the Western front.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
This was suppose to be simple laser guided cannon launched missile, Not complicated Stuff ..

This is really time consuming and putting Arjun at back track ..

Series 12 Development flight test of CLGM capable of being fired from 120 mm cannon and a tripod were held in March 2015. Series 13 trials were held in september 2015, to validate mid-course guidance with INS-MEMS guidance and evaluation of seeker.

View attachment 9907

smestarz

Country flag
I think DRDO wants to make Arjun the best in the world, but they are playing right into the hands of Indian army.
But in general sense we are not going to war tomorrow, so Arjun can be taken as theya rem and then these CLGM can be accepted as necessary upgrade that does not require the tank to be modified. Can this not be done? At present, Arjun can do what M1A2 Abrams or Leopard 2 can do. So whats the problem?

This was suppose to be simple laser guided cannon launched missile, Not complicated Stuff ..

This is really time consuming and putting Arjun at back track ..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Their is procedure that no one can change and its the procedure of conducting trail as a package which fulfill the requirement set by Army, Their is no half or latter ..

Arjun MK2 trails are presently halted due to CLGM tests, CLGM as original were laser guided as per requirement, Setting unnecessary requirement will delay it by years not months.

What is talked abt guidance is like no other missiles fired from tank barrel is presently using around the globe, Only few countries use such guidance on more traditional ATGMs like Spike ER ..

I think DRDO wants to make Arjun the best in the world, but they are playing right into the hands of Indian army.But in general sense we are not going to war tomorrow, so Arjun can be taken as theya rem and then these CLGM can be accepted as necessary upgrade that does not require the tank to be modified. Can this not be done? At present, Arjun can do what M1A2 Abrams or Leopard 2 can do. So whats the problem?

anoop_mig25

Country flag
Their is procedure that no one can change and its the procedure of conducting trail as a package which fulfill the requirement set by Army, Their is no half or latter ..

Arjun MK2 trails are presently halted due to CLGM tests, CLGM as original were laser guided as per requirement, Setting unnecessary requirement will delay it by years not months.

What is talked abt guidance is like no other missiles fired from tank barrel is presently using around the globe, Only few countries use such guidance on more traditional ATGMs like Spike ER ..

Whats point of stooping Arjun MK2 trail for CLGM test

has the test of other feature ARJUN MK2 completed .if not then carry out those test

CLGM test can be carrired out once they are developed

IT un_necessary wastaje of time

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles