CIA chief Petraeus quits over extramarital affair

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Idiotic reason to quit, it shouldn't matter what one does in his bedroom.

pmaitra

Paula Broadwell's Husband Knew About Wife's CIA Extramarital Affair?

(Photo : Facebook) Writer Paula Broadwell and Radiologist husband Scott Broadwell.

An anonymous letter that ran in The New York Times sparked rumors that Scott Broadwell, husband to Paula Broadwell, knew his wife was having an extramarital affair with former CIA director David Petraeus, according to reports.

Chuck Klosterman, writer for the "Ethicist" advice column, received a letter from a reader, whose name was not disclosed, on July 13, asking for advice about his wife's affair with a "government executive" whose "role is to manage a project whose progress is seen worldwide as a demonstration of American leadership." The reader explained that he "has watched the affair intensify over the last year," but also said that he respected the other man.

"He is engaged in work that I am passionate about and is absolutely the right person fro the job," the reader added. "I strongly feel that exposing the affair will create a major distraction that would adversely impact the success of an important effort."

At the end, the writer wrote about the dilemma he faced: should he acknowledge the affair and "finally force closure," suffer in silence or walk away from the whole situation.

[Klosterman advised the reader not to expose the affair in a high-profile way. Click here to read what he told the reader]

The Huffington Post reported that the speculation was first brought up by CNBC's Herb Greenberg who found the letter, but New York Times magazine editor Hugo Lindgren dismissed the rumors on Saturday in a Twitter message saying, "This @theethicist column http://t.co/i3sSSb5Y (2nd Q) is NOT about the Petraeus affair, based on our factchecking. Strange, I know."

Petraeus, 60, stepped down from his position as CIA director on Friday, Nov. 9, acknowledging his affair with Broadwell. Petraeus and his wife Holly have been married for 38 years and they have two grown children. He told friends the affair began in August of 2011 after he left the army, according to ABC News.
Read more at Paula Broadwell's Husband Knew About Wife's CIA Extramarital Affair? : Enstarz

pmaitra

Well, see that's part of the problem. Apparently they did it under the desk in his office, :-(
You have a valid point Mr. Ewald, but given the precedence of Bill Clinton, who did not quit his Presidency, it is, in my humble (I want to say esteemed) opinion, unfair to expect Petraeus to quit. That he did, proves he has slightly better morals, than Bill Clinton.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
You have a valid point Mr. Ewald, but given the precedence of Bill Clinton, who did not quit his Presidency, it is, in my humble (I want to say esteemed) opinion, unfair to expect Petraeus to quit. That he did, proves he has slightly better morals, than Bill Clinton.
Just because a thief was not caught, it doesn't mean every thief should be let off the hook.
PS: I'm not saying Clinton and/or Petraeus is a thief. Just to be clear.

pmaitra

Just because a thief was not caught, it doesn't mean every thief should be let off the hook.
Agree.

However, who is the thief who was not caught?

Last edited by a moderator:

pmaitra

PS: I'm not saying Clinton and/or Petraeus is a thief. Just to be clear.
I saw your appendage to the post. Of course not, they were not thieves, but your example could be taken as a simile.

In any event, adultery and larceny are different things, but both are inappropriate, at least from a moral stand point.

Clinton's debauchery is beyond doubt, but he apologized, and continued as President. Why then expect Petraeus to quit?

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Agree.

However, who is the thief who was not caught?

"Not punished", "did not suffer appropriate consequences", am I right now ?

Last edited by a moderator:

pmaitra

"Not punished", "did not suffer appropriate consequences", am I right now ?
Who did not suffer appropriate consequences? Bill Clinton?

Perhaps, perhaps not. That's not the point, because I am not sure whether his extra marital affair would have led him not to perform his duties as a President or not. All I am saying is that have the same expectation for Petreaus, given Clinton exists as a precedent.

Petreaus - CIA Director
Bill Clinton - Commander-in-Chief-cum-President

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Who did not suffer appropriate consequences? Bill Clinton?

Perhaps, perhaps not. That's not the point, because I am not sure whether his extra marital affair would have led him not to perform his duties as a President or not. All I am saying is that have the same expectation for Petreaus, given Clinton exists as a precedent.
Yeah, Bill Clinton.

I'm also not sure how the affair affects Clinton's ability to discharge his duties. But it proves that he and Petraeus were unable or unwilling to adhere to a principle (of being faithful to his wife). Note: I can't adhere with that principle, either.
I think, Pete is doing the right thing.

Liberty_and_Freedom

Amazing what we know about Petraeus in just days. When we compare the speed of investigation in this case vis-a-vis Benghazi (still a WIP after months) or Fast and Furious(supposedly a WIP after Years), I'd say they're doing a damned good job, eh :thumb:.
Fall guy anyone !!?!!

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
David Petraeus CIA scandal engulfs US Gen John Allen

Top US commander in Afghanistan Gen John Allen is being investigated for allegedly sending "inappropriate emails" to a woman at the centre of a scandal ending the career of CIA head Gen David Petraeus, officials say.

The emails are said to have been sent to Jill Kelley whose complaint led the FBI to uncover Gen Petraeus's extra-marital affair with Paula Broadwell.

Gen Allen denies any wrongdoing.

He was to face confirmation hearings to become Nato's top commander in Europe.
Source: BBC

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
This is a shame Petraeus did a great job .
He did.

"The evil that men do lives after them; The good is oft interred with their bones"

Act 3, scene ii of Julius Caesar by William Shakespeare (Mark Antony)

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Well, see that's part of the problem. Apparently they did it under the desk in his office, :-(
So what ?

As long as he's getting the job done it shouldn't matter who he ----s or where, its his private life.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
I hear Petraeus has found support from Obama ?

:hmm:

Sent via Tapatalk from a galaxy far far away

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
So what ?

As long as he's getting the job done it shouldn't matter who he ----s or where, its his private life.
Actually the questions should be, "So what? Did it affect the response to the Benghazi attack and murder of the US ambassador?"

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles