Christian parents group to sue school over yoga classes

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Christian parents group to sue school over yoga classes - Telegraph
The Encinitas Union School District plans to offer yoga instruction at all of its nine schools from January, despite a protest by parents who say they believe it will indoctrinate their children in Eastern religion.

The growing popularity of yoga is forcing US public schools to address the question of whether it is a religious practice or simply exercise.

Encinitas Superintendent Timothy Baird said: "This is 21st century PE. It's physical. It's strength-building. It increases flexibility but it also deals with stress reduction and focusing, which kickball doesn't do."

Mary Eady, a parent who has pulled her child out of yoga classes, said the pupils were learning to worship the sun and it was "inappropriate in our public schools."

School officials said there will be no chanting, prayer positions or cultural references.

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
What a self defeating and morbid attitude.
Fine if they don't want to salute the Sun, at least do the other exercises.
I would salute the Sun anytime, for it provides the entire planet (including me) with energy necessary for life to sustain.
I also salute (touch feet of) my parents every morning as a sign of my gratitude and to get their blessings.
I consider Sun, Teacher and Parents as visible forms of Ishwara whom I can pay my respects and so I bow to them.
But thats me and the culture I belong to. Other are free to follow theirs.

Regards,
Virendra

Blackwater

y so mush fuss. goras around the world are mad about yoga

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
Perhaps these Parents thought that since in Yoga the Hindus worship Sun; so the Sun is a Hindu type God and not for them? :rolleyes:
Just speculating ....

jalsa

Practicing yoga doesn't pull the children away from christianity, besides yoga is too popular in the west to ban it.

ganesh177

Country flag
American parents are least worried about teenage sex, drugs, video games, obesity. But they are worried about something that is actually good for health.

Wont salute sun, but will salute iphone at the break of dawn.

If they widen their narrow brains, they will realise yoga is meant for health benefits, not the expansion of hinduism.

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag
Yes, Yankees, keep it up. Spread more hatred and animosity. The world is not enough, now you must make fissures in your own communities.

niharjhatn

Didn't the European pagans salute the sun as well? As well as worship trees?

They are just going back to their own roots!

Energon

DFI stars
Ambassador
Country flag
Their loss. If these parents want to be ignorant and stupid then their children will not benefit from a clinicaly proven therapeutic activity like Yoga.

maomao

Veteran Hunter of Maleecha
Country flag
And they call US of A a secular country :facepalm:
Firstly, US is not a secular country and parents every where in the world have full rights to decide what their children should learn in schools! That's US - land of the free and sensible!

Can you in India tell a Convent or an Xian school to not to give religious prayers and sermons at assemblies to the the young who are non-xians? We all know how all the corrupt, secular, leftist and jholachaps will be up in arms! If this is secularism in India then US is far better!

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
Firstly, US is not a secular country and parents every where in the world have full rights to decide what their children should learn in schools! That's US - land of the free and sensible!

Can you in India tell a Convent or an Xian school to not to give religious prayers and sermons at assemblies to the the young who are non-xians? We all know how all the corrupt, secular, leftist and jholachaps will be up in arms! If this is secularism in India then US is far better!
If anyone tells that then he will become communal and that will be against the constitution of INDIA. The constitution of INDIA says (according to congress) is Beat a HINDU, kill a HINDU, talk ill about HINDUISM, this is what INDIAN CONSTITUTION says now.........

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
People this thread is not about Indian society but about USA.

Tronic

Convent or Christian schools are private schools so what's wrong with Christian prayers? I went to a Convent school as a kid. We learnt about Jesus, Mother Mary, and did Christian prayers; so what? Am I Christian today? Same thing in the West, there are plenty of private Catholic schools and there is nothing wrong if they do Christian prayers in the morning. Infact in the West, if you are a Catholic, the school will give you a big discount and your kids will have to pay less fees, but if you are a non-Christian who wants to attend, the fees is actually higher! So some folks actually convert to give their kids a better private education. A lot of Chinese do this, and I know an Indian family who has also done this.

That being said, these are all private schools, but the school in question is a public, government-funded school! So you can't make a comparison there!

Rage

DFI TEAM
I'm all in favor of yoga. Not so long ago I used to ridicule it as a pansy activity, until I tried Asthanga yoga with Deepika Mehta and got ****- r****d!

P.S. She makes yoga look verrry sexy!

Last edited:

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
Yes, Yankees, keep it up. Spread more hatred and animosity. The world is not enough, now you must make fissures in your own communities.
They seems to be going the way few narrow minded Muslim groups were going by claiming Yog is un-Islamic.

This puts those Yankees and ignorant Muslim groups in the same league :thumb:

These idiots are ok if we learn about Jesus in our schools but not the other way around.:tsk:

Rage

DFI TEAM
They seems to be going the way few narrow minded Muslim groups were going by claiming Yog is un-Islamic.

These idiots are ok if we learn about Jesus in our schools but not the other way around.:tsk:

Gauging from the number of people that practice yoga in western countries, I'd say that's a pretty off-the-mark conclusion.

How Yoga Won the West

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag

:laugh: Yes indeed. At the end of the day, none can deny that Muslims and Christians are actually long lost cousins.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles