Chinese universities urged to fight back against foreign religion

panduranghari

^^^
I faced this Christian salesmen in Britain too, they actually came in morning and knocked by door to tell me meaning of life !! my life. But I was in heavy hangover. I asked him how old he is , but instead answering my question he just started talking... after listening , I politely said " no thanks , I am satisfied with my religion and enjoy it !"
Read Being Different by Rajiv Malhotra ASAP.. Next when you encounter them, call them in at home, offer tea and biscuits and dissect Christianity. Start from This

afako

Hindufying India
Country flag
No, it's not.

It is perfectly possible to live a fulfilling life without any spirituality whatsoever. In fact, many people who seek spiritual solace are those who lack some other important needs but are unable/unwilling to fulfill them for whatever reason. This is why people in poor, developing countries tend to be the most religious people in the world; their lives are lacking in key material and/or social needs and so they attempt to "compensate" for this by turning to God and spirituality. But I consider this to be inherently unhealthy (though understandable), because all it does is detach one from the brutal realities of life. In this sense, religion can be compared to drugs/alcohol; they both have a similar purpose, i.e. to numb the pain of "reality" and detach one from this world and find solace in the "other", which may be found through either recitation of devotional prayers or ingestion of chemicals. But although religion does indeed serve a useful purpose in this way, it would be wrong to call it a need, just like it would be wrong to call drugs/alcohol a "need". They are only substitutes for needs.

Maslow's famous Hierarchy of Needs does a good job of describing what is required for a typical human to live a fulfilling life. Notice that none of these "needs" require any sort of religion or spirituality to be fulfilled.
Here lies your answer:

Wiki Mama:

In their extensive review of research based on Maslow's theory, Wahba and Brudwell found little evidence for the ranking of needs that Maslow described or for the existence of a definite hierarchy at all.

The order in which the hierarchy is arranged (with self-actualization described as the highest need) has been criticized as being ethnocentric by Geert Hofstede. Maslow's hierarchy of needs fails to illustrate and expand upon the difference between the social and intellectual needs of those raised in individualistic societies and those raised in collectivist societies. The needs and drives of those in individualistic societies tend to be more self-centered than those in collectivist societies, focusing on improvement of the self, with self-actualization being the apex of self-improvement. In collectivist societies, the needs of acceptance and community will outweigh the needs for freedom and individuality
It may be true for liberated Abrahamic mind, does not make much sense from the Dharmic POV.

Also, take a look at this map. Notice how the most religious countries are also the poorest and least developed. The less that the needs in the above pyramid are adequately met, the greater the likelihood that one will be religious.
It has nothing to do with Religion.

Only Mass Manufacturing Industrialization can achieve Prosperity in the Modern World.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
It may be true for liberated Abrahamic mind, does not make much sense from the Dharmic POV.

It has nothing to do with Religion.

Only Mass Manufacturing Industrialization can achieve Prosperity in the Modern World.
I don't think you understood what I wrote, and are posting for the sake of posting. Please go through what I wrote again.

Everyone needs to eat, regardless of whether you are a 'primitive Abrahamic' or an 'enlightened Dharmic'. Everyone needs a basic level of material comfort in order to live productive lives. When these basic levels of material comfort are not met, the chances of one being religious increases. This correlation is quite evident and is shown clearly by the map that I posted, where the poorest and least developed areas also show the highest levels of religiosity. The point of the map is not to show that high religiosity causes poverty and low development (correlation does not imply causation), but that one is a strong predictor for the other. That is, someone who lives in poverty is more likely to be highly religious than one who is rich and lives a comfortable life. I explain the reason for that in my post, if you read it.

chase

Tihar Jail
Banned
On the contrary I think FLG is a religion, or a neo-religion, or a cult (how u would put it depends on your perspectives).

Lots of my alumni practiced all kinds of Gong (Gong = Kung in Kungfu). long time back. They believe they'd get psychic or acquire sort of supernatural power by so doing. For example once there was a very popular Gong on campus Xiang-gong which claimed practitioners would smell aromatic. Or some Gong claimed followers would get the "inner eyes" opened.

Books and cassette tapes with which followers practiced, were sold at HIGH prices in a large quantity.

Some also defined these Gongs as "Life Sciences".

But what features differentiate FLG from Gongs galore? IMO, 1) It has a comprehensive "theory". Many Chinese felt it was just another Buddhist or Taoist denomination as FLG preachings sound like deja vu 2) It has an well knitted organization with the founder Li at the core who's claimed to be the "ultimate savior", also with lots of publication and even a TV channel based in the US 3) It claims at doomsday the salvation is for believers only
That means that Falun Gong is abhramic because of the last point.
Any religion which preaches faith by fear of doomsday is indeed a mind control cult.

panduranghari

I do not have that much spare time !
Then why not let them go on with what they do i.e proselytising? Engage them and show them where they fail. The brainwashing will wear off. Any rational mind can see the shortcoming of the story told. If there was no short coming in Abrahamic faiths why would they want to convert the heathen?

Do not become a deer to be digested by the tiger. Become a porcupine and not only avoid digestion, but also ensure that any digestion attempted with end up with killing the predator.

D

Drona

Then why not let them go on with what they do i.e proselytising? Engage them and show them where they fail. The brainwashing will wear off. Any rational mind can see the shortcoming of the story told. If there was no short coming in Abrahamic faiths why would they want to convert the heathen?

Do not become a deer to be digested by the tiger. Become a porcupine and not only avoid digestion, but also ensure that any digestion attempted with end up with killing the predator.
when salesman fails to convince that is product is better than you already have , that doesn't mean you start marketing your own to that salesman and be like him. let him realise on his known that he is not selling good product thats why not many are buying it, and even more are leaving it.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles