Chinese recruiters look for white faces, not experience

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
2012-01-26

American employees are becoming popular targets for Chinese recruiters, according to a Jan. 23 World Journal article.

Mr Li, a Chinese graduate architectural design student in California, said he had sent his resume to a construction company in Beijing but received no reply. When he contacted the company, they told him that he had the right experience but that they were looking for an American who was not ethnically Chinese. Another US graduate, surnamed Wang, said she was initially hired by an information company in Beijing but was later replaced by a younger American man who had no experience.

One recruiter said many small companies in China are more focused on a person's face than their skill when hiring new employees and that some enterprises hire foreign nationals in an attempt to gain trust from their customers. Americans recruited to work in China typically receive high pay regardless of their experience. Some companies will provide houses, cars and international plane tickets for vacations for their American employees.

Although many Americans enjoy working in China, most eventually choose to return to the United States, citing gaps of cultural understanding.

Chinese recruiters look for white faces, not experience|Markets|Business|WantChinaTimes.com

SADAKHUSH

Country flag
Now this is called reverse discrimination? Where will chinese go from here?

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
China to import foreign experts over next five years

A German expert checks aluminum wheels at a factory in Hangzhou.

China will carry out programs in four key industries to import foreign experts during the next five years, according to sources within the State Administration of Foreign Experts Affairs on Thursday.

The four fields include agriculture, manufacture, the service industry and software and integrated circuits, according to the administration.

The administration said that China plans to attract 2,000 highly skilled foreign experts in manufacturing to boost newly emerged industries such as energy conservation, high-end equipment production, new energy and new material.

Moreover, 1,000 experts with management experience will be hired in the service industry to train more people in finance, insurance, security and comprehensive transportation.

In the field of software and integrated circuits, China will launch five international training bases to import high-caliber foreign experts and teams to further global cooperation.

According to a statement released by the administration earlier this month, China will recruit 500 to 1,000 high-caliber foreign experts over the next 10 years in bid to further economic and social development.

Under the government-funded program, each of the selected overseas professionals will be offered a subsidy of one million yuan (US$158,000) to cover their living expenses, according to the statement.

China to import foreign experts over next five years|Policy|Business|WantChinaTimes.com

Param

The west propped up China for decades, changed the global power equations and now whines about it.

p2prada

China does this in India as well. Huawei is the most typical example. They have hired mostly Indian people. They said the current managers are Chinese and will soon be replaced by Indian managers once they learn the tricks of the trade. It is primarily meant to keep good faith between the company and the govt. I don't think they want Chinese individuals treating with govt bureaucrats and ministers on a daily basis, as it may lead to unnecessary complications. Also, an Indian face provides comfort factor because of little cultural differences when dealing with supplies and customers.

Blackwater

2012-01-26

American employees are becoming popular targets for Chinese recruiters, according to a Jan. 23 World Journal article.

Mr Li, a Chinese graduate architectural design student in California, said he had sent his resume to a construction company in Beijing but received no reply. When he contacted the company, they told him that he had the right experience but that they were looking for an American who was not ethnically Chinese. Another US graduate, surnamed Wang, said she was initially hired by an information company in Beijing but was later replaced by a younger American man who had no experience.

One recruiter said many small companies in China are more focused on a person's face than their skill when hiring new employees and that some enterprises hire foreign nationals in an attempt to gain trust from their customers. Americans recruited to work in China typically receive high pay regardless of their experience. Some companies will provide houses, cars and international plane tickets for vacations for their American employees.

Although many Americans enjoy working in China, most eventually choose to return to the United States, citing gaps of cultural understanding.

Chinese recruiters look for white faces, not experience|Markets|Business|WantChinaTimes.com

True, Same with Arabs. look at chini international news channel all Americans news reader.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
This is actually a very clever move to gain knowledge on where they lag. For years USA bragged that it is great because of the great minds that come to work there, now China is trying to get into that pie to. Good for them but the hostile nature of the commies is some what degrades any progress they make.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Chinis are passing up experienced Western trained Hans for no-experience whites just for the face. All they care about is marketing and not the product.

CherrywoodHunter

Not surprising at all - you can always find this kind of crap from Indian or Taiwan media, such as wantchinatimes.com. You guys just love bashing China.

You ignore the fact that 700+ tenured researchers from US institutions accept full-time job (4-year contract, >9 months per year) offer from China last year. Recruiters make decision not based on your face but your expertise. Those foreign faces are recruited because of their excellent professional records, for example, Luc Montagnier (Nobel laureate), Subhash Singhal(a US NAE member of Indian descent), Neil Foster (fellow of Institute of Engineers of Australia) and Ross Macallister(CIO of ChemChina) etc.

China is improving its universities in a tremendous way by recruiting tenured foreign professors and young scientists with US PhD degrees. 10 years ago, China and India are comparable in terms of publication on top journals like Nature/Science/Cell/PRL/JACS. But today any top China or Hong Kong university alone can beat India as a whole nation, publication wise.

CherrywoodHunter

Chinis are passing up experienced Western trained Hans for no-experience whites just for the face. All they care about is marketing and not the product.
A typical Armand2REP logic: based on a few ppl's job hunting experiences, Armand2REP draw a conclusion about the China's job market. Epic fail.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Chinis aren't even interested in Western input. At the analysis unit I worked for my recommendations were ignored . My face was plastered all over promo materials and videos to hedge fund managers. The only meaningful work I got done were audits to tell them just how unprofitable their capital was allocated. They don't care when they can keep sucking state loans that just get rolled over. They have no interest reforming to adapt to global financial markets. All that matters is how cheap they can make it.

CherrywoodHunter

Chinis aren't even interested in Western input. At the analysis unit I worked for my recommendations were ignored . My face was plastered all over promo materials and videos to hedge fund managers. The only meaningful work I got done were audits to tell them just how unprofitable their capital was allocated. They don't care when they can keep sucking state loans that just get rolled over. They have no interest reforming to adapt to global financial markets. All that matters is how cheap they can make it.
again, your experiences. lol

amoy

These news reports tell a lot abt mindsets of many Chinese / enterprises. Nothing new though. In fact I heard it in person an European director something asked on the way to a Chinese customer " What can I add value to the visit? Or do they only want to see a 'white face'?

Indeed many firms feel 'white face' (not expertise) make them more 'internationalized' or 'leading', thus convincing for their own clients. Of course many 'white faces' know this well.

Meantime New Social Insurance Law impacts foreign enterprises and expatriates

One sector that perhaps absorbs the most foreigners IMO is English training institutions esp. for children. Usually Chinese prefer white faces as they're supposed to speak 'standard' English despite many lacking teaching qualification. I came across a self introduction on a bulletin - an American wrote he was pursuing overseas experience while job prospect wasn't upbeat back home for the time being.

nimo_cn

Country flag
A thread about the same topic was posted before by the same person. He must have a fish memory.

Anyway, it is true white face is preferred in China, especially when it comes to English teaching.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
That chinese girl looks nice...why not hire her ? or chinese men prefer american men ?

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
A thread about the same topic was posted before by the same person. He must have a fish memory.
You must have faulty brain... it never was.

Anyway, it is true white face is preferred in China, especially when it comes to English teaching.
Anyway, white face is preferred when it comes to anything with international.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Your faulty brain keeps getting worse. I completed a "contract." I know you have never had one so I will explain... you sign a piece of paper for employment for a specific amount of time. When it is over, you either renew or leave. I did not renew because the poor water, food and air quality were making me sick.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
SexyChineseLady Chinese Navy Recruitment Video China 0
skywatcher Chinese Lunar Exploration Program China 0
LETHALFORCE Attacks on Chinese in Pakistan Pakistan 10
Satish Sharma Idiotic musing of Chinese communist party. China 2

Global Defence

New threads

Articles