Chinese raid govt offices and strip Mayor nude

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Qidong NIMBY protesters raid government offices, mob and strip mayor of clothes

Source: Canyu.org, Weibo, Renren

A water discharge project in the pipeline was immediately scrapped after thousands of residents in Qidong, a coastal city in East China, staged a protest amid growing concerns over pollution problems on July 28. Despite that it marks the victory for the public opinion and environmentalists, it is also worth noting that the protest finished on a violent note, with government offices raided by the protesters and the city's party secretary mobbed and stripped of his clothes.

The wastewater discharge project was part of a construction plan of Oji Paper Group, a Japanese-owned paper-making factory based in Nantong, a neighboring city that administers Qidong. The wastewater from the paper mill will be expelled Residents in Qidong fear that if put into use, the wastewater containing contaminants and toxic matters may be dumped into the sea, polluting the area and killing the local fish stock.

In contrast to a similar not-in-my-back-yard protest in Shifang, Sichuan province, earlier this month which featured tear gas and stun grenades, Qidong's local government and its police force have been lauded by netizens for its swift response to the outcry and decision to show restraint.

The protest started off from an online campaign. A series of posters had been circulating on the Chinese social media for days prior to the actual demonstration.

Translation:

Strongly protest Nantong Oji Paper (Japan) for discharging wastewater into Qidong's Lvsi Fishing Port!

On July 1, 2012, you came to know Shifang in Sichuan,

Then you must have heard of Qidong often lately.

If not, let me brief you on Qidong.

If Yangtze River is a dragon, then the tongue sticking out from the dragon's head is Chongming Island;

The lower jaw is Shanghai, and the upper jaw is Qidong, butting on Yellow Sea, East (China) Sea and the Pacific.

In addition to education, construction and electric tool manufacturing that flourishes here,

Lvsi's seafood culture is also a selling point well-known to home and abroad.

Lvsi Fishing Port's annual output of aquatic products is
More than 200000000 kg (200,000 metric tons).
It is the world's ninth largest and one of China's four major fishing ports.
Today, the fishing port, hundreds of thousands in the fishing industry, and the million residents in Qidong, are now faced with a huge crisis.

A pipeline, which discharges 150,000 metric tons of wastewater daily,
Is now extending into the proximity of Lvsi Fishing Port.
The other end of the pipeline is Japan's biggest investment in China, which was previously rejected by Northeast China, South China, Shanghai, Suzhou and Taicang and finally taken over by the inclusive Nantong Municipal Government –
Nantong Oji Paper (Japan) OJI.

The reason why it is singled out for blame is that it is not a chimney sticking out into the sky, but a pipeline reaching into the sea. The most important thing of all is that it will be dumped near Lvsi Fishing Port, and the daily volume is huge. Water cycle is closely related to you and me. What's more, aquatic products from here in Lvsi have been in great demand home and abroad.

Nantong's seaside and riverside environment is already in danger. Now it is hanging by a thread.

If this pipeline goes to Nantong, residents in Nantong will be angry with you; going to Yangtze River, people in Shanghai and Suzhou will be angry with you. "Okay, then make it go to Lvsi Fishing Port. It doesn't matter if you are angry with me. Little Qidong, just suck it up!"

No! The million Qidong people can swallow no insult and suppress no word.

But on July 28, when thousands swarmed to the government building, they overturned five police cars, beat a couple of police officers viciously until they bled, and dragged the city's party secretary Sun Jianhua out of his office into the street, stripped him of his clothes and tried to make him put on a T-shirt specially designed for this campaign.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Re: Chinese raid govt offices ans strip Mayor nude

http://cdn4.ministryoftofu.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/qidong27.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://cdn4.ministryoftofu.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/qidong21_thumb.jpg

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

The protesters also had some serendipity. During their rummage at the government building, they found condoms, poker cards, ginseng, cigarettes, red wine and brand-name Chinese liquor in the party secretary's office. The crowd cheered every time something was thrown out of the window. Raiders waved their findings in front of the crowd to condemn corruption in the local politics.

@高军 :This (condom) was found during our search of the government office building. Look at how these officials "serve the people" every day!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

As the mayhem proceeded, the local television is airing a televised announcement made by Zhang Jianxin, the deputy mayor of the city, emphasizing that the project has already been suspended and is been scrutinized for its environmental impact, and that it will not resume if residents disapprove of it. The same message was being run on the huge LED display at the city's central district before the crowd dispersed. Later, the city further announced that the project has been killed once and for all.

Many public intellectuals and media personalities expressed their mixed feelings about the protest and even voiced concern over its violent nature on Sina Weibo.

Han Han, China's most influential blogger and author, wrote, "The city government has fallen and been occupied. The state apparatus showed restraint. The project has been permanently canceled. The mayor's top was stripped. But as long as he does not seek revenge later on, he is still more dignified than those well-dressed government officials who ordered a crackdown. I hope people in Qidong can be gratified with the result and stop at it. I will even warn officials elsewhere, stop before it goes too bad."

Kai-fu Lee, former president of Google China and now a venture capitalist with 15 million followers on Sina Weibo, wrote, "In 2006, when a million Taiwanese dressed in red besieged (then Taiwanese President) Chen Shui-bian's government, Shih Ming-the, the commander in chief, insisted that no one storm inside and no blood be shed. He believed that an end cannot be used to glorify the means. An otherwise just army will become sinners in the history if it crosses the line. He said, 'It requires even greater courage and wisdom to maintain the arrow on the bowstring without releasing it, even if it is so poised to fly.' Hope someone on that street in Jiangsu can read this post of mine." The message has more than 41,000 shares so far.

Ge Sang, an anchorwoman at Shanghai Media Group, wrote, "Why did you have to charge at the city government while protesting? Can ransacking the mayor's office help your appeal? The public behave like rogues even before the authorities strike the first blow. Isn't this going to give others a handle against you?"¦When activism turns into smashing, beating and ransacking, don't blame others if you are met with tear gas."

He Zhenbiao, a communications professor at Zhejiang University, wrote, "I support the public for their expression of opinion on the street. This is the lesson 101 in a modern civilized society. But please allow me to remind them, this may be only a step away from the remnants of the Cultural Revolution"¦Express opinion with reason. Stroll with peace. Oppose personal attacks. Draw the line between public affairs and private matters."

According to the posters specially designed for the cause and unveiled on the Internet, the organizers meant the campaign to be a peaceful and loving one. The call for a peaceful stroll is repeated on some of the posters.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Loving fishing, loving casting a net,
Loving jellyfish, loving drunken mud snail,
Loving to become rich, but not to employ deception and trickery,
I love this land that I have been working diligently on for decades,
And I love this beautiful sea that I have relied on.
I love Qidong,
I love Lvsi Fishing Port.
I am only an ordinary fisherman.
With pollution ahead,
Obstruction from tens of thousands is not daunting; our own surrender is.
I , have to shout!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Stroll (silent demonstration) with Civility; Fight Pollution with Reason
What we have always been promoting is strolling with civility and fighting pollution with reason.
Therefore, let's judge the case as it stands, and to avoid unintended harm, please, the angry youth, put aside everything that is irrelevant.

We believe that Qidong's leaders' wise decision making,
Coupled with Qidong residents' reason,
Can definitely work things out with perfection.
I, in the same way I love my family,
Have deep affection for this land,
Qidong.
I always do,
But my love had never been as deep as it is at this moment.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

No, this is not a tour of beautiful China or smashing scintillating Shanghai.

This is a tour of the REAL CHINA, which is hidden from you and of which our Chinese posters don't talk about!

This is from Qidong NIMBY protesters raid government offices, mob and strip mayor of clothes | Ministry of Tofu 豆腐部

This was sent to me by a Chinese friend.

It is obvious I cannot reveal his details.

You will notice that in one of the images is a Condom recovered from the Govt Office.

@高军 :This (condom) was found during our search of the government office building. Look at how these officials "serve the people" every day!

The Chinese Communists sure know how to have a ball and think they are governing the people!

They are raping China!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Maybe the Chinese leader Nimo cn could throw some light on this.

s002wjh

Country flag
i'm curious about this protest, as it border line on riot. most environment protest result peceafully, and the government usually cancel the plan for the project.

Tronic

Good to see morality prevail in these Chinese masses over governmental greed. Cheers!

no smoking

Country flag

Maybe the Chinese leader Nimo cn could throw some light on this.
This is really not a big deal. Comparing to what those peasants did in last 90s, today's protests are more peaceful. And CCP has become more skillful in handling such kind of things.

J20!

Country flag

Stroll (silent demonstration) with Civility; Fight Pollution with Reason
What we have always been promoting is strolling with civility and fighting pollution with reason.
Therefore, let's judge the case as it stands, and to avoid unintended harm, please, the angry youth, put aside everything that is irrelevant.

We believe that Qidong's leaders' wise decision making,
Coupled with Qidong residents' reason,
Can definitely work things out with perfection.
I, in the same way I love my family,
Have deep affection for this land,
Qidong.
I always do,
But my love had never been as deep as it is at this moment.
Very nice...

I thought you said we were all robots and brainwashed zombies who couldn't think for themselves, and had our whole lives planned out for us. You just proved YOURSELF wrong.

Despite what you might think, the harshest critics of China's government are CHINESE CITIZENS.

Last edited:

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Great to see the Chinese care for our fragile environment. I wish you good luck in this most noble endeavor.

huaxia rox

This is really not a big deal. Comparing to what those peasants did in last 90s, today's protests are more peaceful. And CCP has become more skillful in handling such kind of things.
it is a big deal mate....but compared to whats happenning in assam these couple of days it becomes a wee deal.....of coz we just dont have time to pile up all those vivid pics about the new ongoing event in NE of india do we??

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Very nice...

I thought you said we were all robots and brainwashed zombies who couldn't think for themselves, and had our whole lives planned out for us. You just proved YOURSELF wrong.

Despite what you might think, the harshest critics of China's government are CHINESE CITIZENS.
They remain robotic.

If they were not, then the CCP would have gone up in flames.

These robots however have memory chips.

They are programmed to remember Tienanmen Square and the also the treatment to the Civil Right activists who get jailed and vanish or remain under house arrest.

Even robots are programmed for conditional reflexes like Dogs of Pavlov.

If the Chinese are the harshest critics of the Chinese Govt, then they seem to have missed the cue when they were ruthlessly massacred in the Cultural Revolution or the Tienanmen Square!

Such ruthlessness has not been seen of any Govt against its own people!

our whole lives planned out for us
What is Hokou?

What is Danwei?

Hokou

Hukou refers to the system of 'class system' residency permits w where household registration is required by law in the People's Republic of China.

A household registration record officially identifies a person as a resident of an area and includes identifying information such as name, parents, spouse, and date of birth.

The Communist Party instigated a command economy when it came to power in 1949. In 1958, the Chinese government officially promulgated the family register system to control the movement of people between urban and rural areas. Individuals were broadly categorised as a "rural" or "urban" worker.

A worker seeking to move from the country to urban areas to take up non-agricultural work would have to apply through the relevant bureaucracies. The number of workers allowed to make such moves was tightly controlled. Migrant workers would require six passes to work in provinces other than their own.

People who worked outside their authorized domain or geographical area would not qualify for grain rations, employer-provided housing, or health care. There were controls over education, employment, marriage and so on.
If that is not making people conditioned like the Dogs of Pavlov and hence robotic, what is?

Danwei

A work unit or danwei is the name given to a place of employment in the People's Republic of China.

A work unit acts as the first step of a multi-tiered hierarchy linking each individual with the central Communist Party infrastructure. Work units were the principal method of implementing party policy. Also workers were bound to their work unit for life. Each danwei created their own housing, child care, schools, clinics, shops, services, post offices, etc.
Control of everything is control of individual will and desire and hence producing robotic responses!

However, with money and inequality and people realising that they are but robots, they are shaking themselves out of this spell cast by the Communists.

Yes, change is coming.

Communists are in danger!

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

it is a big deal mate....but compared to whats happenning in assam these couple of days it becomes a wee deal.....of coz we just dont have time to pile up all those vivid pics about the new ongoing event in NE of india do we??
In Assam it is much less than what is happening in Tibet and Xinjiang.

In Tibet and Xinjiang, it is your own people and not infiltrators from a foreign country as is the case in Assam!

That is, if you take the Tibetan and Uighurs not as illegal foreigners to the Chinese soil.

So, huahua rox, it is a big deal for China!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Great to see the Chinese care for our fragile environment. I wish you good luck in this most noble endeavor.
I think the Chinese are getting fed up with the lies that the Communists pander as progress while they suffer due to pollution!

Sickness means no pay and that is taken to be a serious blow for the Chinese mentality which equate happiness with money!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
skywatcher Chinese Lunar Exploration Program China 0
LETHALFORCE Attacks on Chinese in Pakistan Pakistan 10
Satish Sharma Idiotic musing of Chinese communist party. China 2
skywatcher Chinese Commercial Space News China 46

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles