Chinese Police Said to Fire on Tibetans

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Chinese Police Said to Fire on Tibetans

BEIJING — Chinese police officers opened fire on a crowd of unarmed Tibetans who were celebrating the birthday of the Dalai Lama in a volatile area of Sichuan Province, injuring nine people, two of them critically, rights advocates reported this week. The shootings took place on Saturday, but government restrictions on communications in the region prevented the news from immediately reaching outsiders.

The violence occurred as more than 500 people gathered for a picnic on the slopes of a mountain in the town of Tawu, or Daofu in Chinese, that is considered sacred by local residents.

According to the International Campaign for Tibet, Radio Free Asia and other groups, the crowd included Buddhist monks and nuns from nearby monasteries but also scores of laypeople who were celebrating the 78th birthday of the Dalai Lama, an event that has traditionally been banned by the authorities. Despite the prohibition on such gatherings, rights advocates say the police often look the other way as celebrants burn incense or hang prayer flags to mark the occasion.

The weekend violence, coupled with recent statements by senior Chinese officials, suggests that Beijing has no intention of loosening the restrictions in Tibetan areas that many rights advocates say are inciting a wave of self-immolations. On Tuesday, China's top official in charge of ethnic minorities vowed to continue the Communist Party's emphasis on social stability, which includes demonizing the Dalai Lama.

The statement, published by the official Xinhua news agency, seemed aimed at quashing recent speculation among some Tibetan exiles that the authorities were preparing to experiment with a more relaxed approach to governance in the region, including allowing the open display of the exiled Tibetan leader's photograph.

"Only when the Dalai Lama publicly announces that Tibet is an inalienable part of China since ancient time, gives up the stance of 'Tibet independence' and stops his secessionist activities can his relations with the C.P.C. Central Committee possibly be improved," Xinhua quoted the official, Yu Zhengsheng, as saying.

The Dalai Lama does not advocate an independent Tibet, but has been seeking what he describes as meaningful autonomy for China's 5.4 million Tibetans.

The violence in Tawu began after dozens of police officers arrived at the scene of the birthday celebration and ordered participants to leave. After religious leaders tried to reason with the officers, witnesses said, there was a brief standoff that quickly escalated. "They smashed doors and windows of our vehicles and started beating Tibetans gathered in the area and dispersed the Tibetans and started shooting at the crowd," one local resident told Radio Free Asia.

Exile groups say the two most critically injured are monks from the Nyitso Monastery in Tawu. The men were taken to a hospital in Chengdu, the provincial capital, with gunshot wounds to the head. One of them, Ugyen Tashi, may have been shot as many as eight times, according to the Tibetan Center for Human Rights and Democracy.

At least 20 people remain in police custody in Tawu, according to the International Campaign for Tibet.

Reached by phone on Tuesday, a government official in Ganzi Prefecture, which includes Tawu, declined to comment. Calls to the local public security bureau went unanswered.

The prefecture, known in Tibetan as Kardze, is at the heart of a continuing protest campaign against Chinese rule that since 2008 has included at least 120 self-immolations. Seven have taken place in Kardze, whose residents are known for their strong Tibetan identity and a fierce devotion to the Dalai Lama. Several times in recent years, the police have used lethal force to break up what they deemed to be illegal gatherings. In January 2012, as many as three people were killed and at least 31 injured when the police opened fire on a protest in the town of Draggo, which is called Luhuo in Chinese.

Tensions have been particularly high in Tawu, the scene of five self-immolations, including that of a Buddhist nun who killed herself last month during a religious debate festival that drew 3,000 monks from across the region. Since then, exile groups say, security has been especially tight in and around the Nyatso Monastery, where the 10-day event took place.

Mandie McKeown, a coordinator for the International Campaign for Tibet, said the violence on Saturday was bound to fuel more opposition to Chinese rule. "Given how incredibly volatile things are, using lethal force doesn't accomplish anything," she said in an interview. "It just aggravates the complaints of Tibetans and exacerbates the situation."

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/10/w...-tibetans-celebrate-dalai-lamas-birthday.html

Does indicate the intolerance of the Han Chinese to face reality.

It also indicates how the very name of the Dalai Lama sends shivers down their spine and spoils their pants!

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
It also indicates how the very name of the Dalai Lama sends shivers down their spine and spoils their pants!
Indeed, @t_co equates the Tibetan government-in-exile with territorial aggression and armed incursions by China.

Even Russia didn't swallow Finland entirely in 1940.

Last edited by a moderator:

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
im am thinking of upgrading my electronic communications system by december this year

im going out of my way to avoid prc-dragon products and instead aiming for others even though
on the surface of it dragon seems to be offering valise for money

im making a sacrifice on behalf og the oppressed peoples of dragonland

it's the usa industrialist who manufactures in prc china who is putting millions into their pockets
and they re using a part of it to oppress the people of tibet and east turkestan

nimo_cn

Country flag
im am thinking of upgrading my electronic communications system by december this year

im going out of my way to avoid prc-dragon products and instead aiming for others even though
on the surface of it dragon seems to be offering valise for money

im making a sacrifice on behalf og the oppressed peoples of dragonland

it's the usa industrialist who manufactures in prc china who is putting millions into their pockets
and they re using a part of it to oppress the people of tibet and east turkestan
without you people purchasing Chinese products, millions of Chinese are gonna lost their jobs.

Sent from my HUAWEI T8951 using Tapatalk 2

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I bought some DIY furniture thinking it to be of Indian manufacture.

The packaging had "Made in China".

It was too late to tell them to take it back.

I have assembled it. looks natty and now the countdown has started as to how long will it last!

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
Indeed, @t_co equates the Tibetan government-in-exile with territorial aggression and armed incursions by China. Even Russia didn't swallow Finland entirely in 1940.
without you people purchasing Chinese products, millions of Chinese are gonna lost their jobs. Sent from my HUAWEI T8951 using Tapatalk 2
really to be accurate i should clarify a bit here:-

its' not only the usa industrialists but also others from other countries including
even perhaps ironically from india too , and i would politely
and very humbly request them to please re-consider

also i would not hesitate to buy from Taiwanese companies
as long as they didnt mfg that particular product i'm purchasing in prc dragon factories
or to buy from industries owned by south east asian chinese would also be fine to me
with the same proviso

Last edited by a moderator:

s002wjh

Country flag
hmm seem fishy, if the prc ignore them for years, so why now. there is two side to a coin, and typically news coming out from tibet is ALways pro-tibet, make the news less legitable.

s002wjh

Country flag

its' not only the usa industrialists but also others from other countries including

as long as they didnt mfg that particular product i'm purchasing in prc dragon factories
or to buy from industries owned by south east asian chinese would also be fine to me
with the same proviso
yea good luck finding small electronic not made in china. i've been try find some made in USA, but so far only my ammo are.

nimo_cn

Country flag

with the same proviso
there is a popular Chinese saying"态度决定高度", which roughly translates into "your attitude determines your altitude".

Indians hate to see the fact that China is manufacturing for the world, even Indians are buying from China. and the more money Chinese are earning from manufacturing, the more difficult it is for India to handle China.

you desperately want it to stop, but you are not doing it right. others wont invest in China unless there is a better place to invest in.

Instead of begging people not to manufacture in China or to buy made in China, make India a perfect destination for manufacturing.

you have enough low cost labor force, a big untapped market and a favorable international environment, you could have been the world factory, it should be China buying from India, why are you whining about Americans investing in China? What is stopping you from taking the crown from China?

nimo_cn

Country flag
I bought some DIY furniture thinking it to be of Indian manufacture.

The packaging had "Made in China".

It was too late to tell them to take it back.

I have assembled it. looks natty and now the countdown has started as to how long will it last!
you really dont have sell the same kind of stories every time it comes to made in China.

in a free market, it's always you pay what you get, it does not matter who is producing.

Everytime you tell a story

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
you really dont have sell the same kind of stories every time it comes to made in China.

in a free market, it's always you pay what you get, it does not matter who is producing.

Everytime you tell a story

A story tells a real tale.

I did say it was natty.

But then given the experience, one has his heart in his mouth.

Nothing wrong in that!

Are you not aware that China produces shoddy goods?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
there is a popular Chinese saying"态度决定高度", which roughly translates into "your attitude determines your altitude".

Indians hate to see the fact that China is manufacturing for the world, even Indians are buying from China. and the more money Chinese are earning from manufacturing, the more difficult it is for India to handle China.

you desperately want it to stop, but you are not doing it right. others wont invest in China unless there is a better place to invest in.

Instead of begging people not to manufacture in China or to buy made in China, make India a perfect destination for manufacturing.

you have enough low cost labor force, a big untapped market and a favorable international environment, you could have been the world factory, it should be China buying from India, why are you whining about Americans investing in China? What is stopping you from taking the crown from China?

Read the story.

There lies the nub and the moral of the story!

You dispute that and do you dispute that it is not a Chinese moral fable?

Typically like any old CCP twit, you go into the irrelevant and obfuscate the flesh of the issue !

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag

hahahhah you mean you even copied ,,, sorry ahem i meant reversed engineered even that proverb ? hahhahah how low can one get

make India a perfect destination for manufacturing.
NO, again a definite NO !! - we want usa and other rich countries to spread their investments not just to one country but to many

not just china but indeed vietnam mexico chile malaysia Indonesia south africa, mongolia ... tunisia

the usa and others should realise that putting all their eggs in china is a disastrous policy

nimo_cn

Country flag
Read the story.

There lies the nub and the moral of the story!

You dispute that and do you dispute that it is not a Chinese moral fable?

Typically like any old CCP twit, you go into the irrelevant and obfuscate the flesh of the issue !
come on, old man, the DIY furniture is relevant?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
come on, old man, the DIY furniture is relevant?

Yes.

Natty.

But the Chinese reputation does it down!

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles