Chinese officials publish listof contraceptives used by local families

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Chinese officials publish list of contraceptives used by local families

Villagers in southern China are up in arms after local officials published a list of each family's preferred method of contraception claiming it would help enforce the one-child policy.

"It shows a total disregard for our privacy," one victim, named as Miss Xiang, told Guangdong province's Southern Metropolis newspaper this week.

"Our names, ID numbers, home addresses and methods of birth control have all been published." The list, put up on a bulletin board in a village in the city of Dongguan, gave the names and ages of married couples and detailed whether local women had been sterilized or whether they used condoms or contraceptive coils. It was removed after Chinese media visited the village this week.

"The villagers' right to privacy was violated," Zhan Zhongle, a Peking University law professor, told the Beijing-based Global Times. "It was illegal for the local government to disclose the private information for the good of family planning work." Tang Guohui, the village committee's chief, blamed the list's publication on incompetent computer technicians.

"Our computer operator has just come to work here and does not know much," he told Guangdong's Southern Television. "We didn't realise that we were leaking the villagers' private details." In future, "another approach" would be used to ensure locals were complying with government family planning regulations, he added.

China's one-child policy was introduced in 1979 following a 1950s baby boom that sparked fears of a potential demographic crisis if the number of births was not brought under control.

But there have been growing calls for the policy to be scrapped. Last October, a think-tank with close links to China's Communist Party urged the government to abandon the controversial policy, which has been blamed for a spike in sex-selective abortions and even infanticide.
"Making the jump to two children is only a matter of time now," said a report issued by the China Development Research Foundation.

Chinese officials publish list of contraceptives used by local families - Telegraph

The control of the State over the individual is not a good thing in its holity.

This type of gaffe can occur, where the functionary thinks that the State alone knows what is best for the people and can thus do what they want.

Maybe, it would have not raised Cain as it has done now, if it were done in the past when the CCP had a tighter control over the people.

With globalisation and a booming economy and exposure, the Chinese are learning of what individual rights are all about and they are no longer taking things lying down.

Rather silly to publish how people have sex and how unwanted pregnancy was avoided.

During the Emergency days in India, I was asked how I was ensuring a small family and what practices I followed.

I said that I was an avid and dedicated follower of Mahatma Gandhi. And so I followed Abstinence!

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles