Chinese 'must swap chopsticks for knife and fork'

Discussion in 'China' started by Ray, Mar 15, 2013.

1. splinter

splinter Regular Member

Indian's ban on export of iron ore is very interesting, why should they do that? That makes Aussies feel much elated.

2. PredictablyMalicious

PredictablyMalicious Punjabi Senior Member

Racism is really funny on the internet

3. amoy

amoy Senior Member Senior Member

frankly I felt nauseated when seeing people rolled with fingers quickly rice and something green (beans?) and yellow (curry?) together of Dal Bhat and fed into mouth directly. occasionally they dipped their fingers into a bowl of water for cooling or cleaning?! fm time to time someone poured cold water to mouth directly from a shared kettle. despite all that we hav to appreciate the beauty in diversity.

Sent from my 5910 using Tapatalk 2

4. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Frankly, I find it nauseating and disgusting that people hawk (a noisy effort to clear the throat and bringing up phlegm) that is so prevalent in some part of Asia.

Even using personal chopsticks that they have put in their mouth while eating and picking up food from a central dish, thereby mixing each others saliva in a most unhygienic manner, even though the same is not realised.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
    Sameet Pattnaik likes this.
  5. Ian Chan

Ian Chan New Member

Yes, I am using metal chopsticks.

6. sgarg

sgarg Senior Member Senior Member

Which % of India is Westernized? Also what is your definition of Westernization.
    If you take an English education as Westernization, then may be 5% of Indians are Westernized.

7. Little Fish

Little Fish Regular Member

Metal chopsticks are too heavy, it won't be comfortable eating with such things. Plastic chopsticks are an alternative and alrealy applied in many Chinese canteens

8. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Actually, 'westernised' has many forms.

Some are like Nirad C Chaudhuri and on the other end of the spectrum are those who wear pant and shirt. There is a whole lot, even in the rural area who use just the spoon and eat, except the chappattis and the use of English word (even in the rural areas) like 'dath' (death), 'fathar' (father), 'problam' (problem) and so on, when there are very apt words in Hindi or the vernacular.

Note this from today's paper.
    I use chopsticks.

I find the plastic one, slippery to pick up morsels.

I prefer wooden ones.

I also have an ivory set too.

When I am at home and we have Indian food, even if there are guests, I use my fingers - the Indian way of eating.

For the love of me, I cannot understand how folks can eat fish (excepting when made boneless) with fork and knife.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  9. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

The Chinese are neither miserable, nor delusional.

The Chinese used chopsticks. Then they invented the spoon. Then they realized that the chopsticks were more efficient. They went back to their chopsticks.

I use chopsticks too. I find them more efficient than using a spoon.

10. danlonnt

danlonnt New Member

No, they use both the chopsticks and the spoon. In the daily life, the chopsticks is more useful for rice and noodles. but for the soup, a spoon is also necessaire.

pmaitra likes this.
  11. linda

linda Regular Member

"The fork, meanwhile, is said to have been invented by the Romans, but did not become common in northern Europe until the 18th century." invented by the Romans? are you sure? look at this:
    [​IMG]
    This set of knife, fork and spoon, made of bone, was excavated from the Zongri archeological site in Qinghai, and date back about 5000 years. These prehistoric dining utensils are almost exactly the same as those used today in western cuisine, and although they were found in China much earlier than chopsticks, they completely disappeared at certain times in ancient China so that most people are not aware that they were once used by the ancient Chinese. Photo provided by Ge Shanben

12. linda

linda Regular Member

[​IMG]
    The earliest Chinese dining customs were based around a mainly vegetarian diet, with grains as staple foods, fortified with lots of vegetables and small amounts of meat. By the Spring and Autumn and Warring States periods (770–221 B.C.) cooking techniques had become quite advanced, consumption of a wider variety of meats become commonplace, and when royalty dined there would always be a servant present to use chopsticks or a spoon to place the food on the plates of the diners, who would then eat with their own set of knife and fork. But at this time the culinary fork was used only by members of upper-class society, and the common people would likely never see one their entire lives.
    Very few discoveries of forks from after the Warring States period (475–221 B.C.) have been made, and not a single one has been unearthed from after the Han (202–220 A.D.) and Jin (265–420 A.D.) dynasties. This shows that in the culinary habits of the Chinese, the knife and fork have been completely absent for the past 2000 years.

http://www.chinascenic.com/magazine/chopsticks-or-knife-and-fork-322.html

13. linda

linda Regular Member

I am wondering if forks was invented by Roman and started to use it by 18th. century , then how did the westerners eat without forks before 18th.century ?eat their food by hands?

14. linda

linda Regular Member

[​IMG]
    This pair of Neolithic bone chopsticks dates the use of this utensil back more than 6000 years.

[​IMG]
    These noodles were unearthed from the Qinghai Lamajia archeological site on November 22, 2002. According to expert appraisal, the noodles were made from millet flour. As the Lamajia site dates back about 4000 years, these are the oldest extant noodles ever discovered.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    www.webonchina.com588 × 441Search by image
    This terrine with eggs inside was unearthed in an ancient tomb from the Western Zhou Dynasty (1046-771BC), with a history of more than 2,800 years.

15. tranminhtrang

tranminhtrang New Member

16. amoy

amoy Senior Member Senior Member

Yeah I heard of newly launched Bamboo Air too. I think VietJet ( dubbed bikini airlines somehow ) is growing rather fast. Hopefully it can extend its networks farther one day. I saw Viet jet flights in Bangkok and Kuala Lumpur.

VN is bound to be the next booming economic powerhouse IMO in Asia Pacific. Lots of manufacturing shifting to VN amid US China trade wars.

HCM city was very impressive during my trip there last Jan..

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    Deathstar likes this.
  17. Armand2REP

Armand2REP CHINI EXPERT Veteran Member