Chinese Language and its different dialects

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Some thoughts from the Taiwanese.

China has culture? China has Chinese Culture? By a tautology, yes"¦but..

In Taiwan most traditional culture has survived primarily intact. Holidays, religious beliefs...etc...People generally have a good understanding of traditional literature...etc. Generally these things are considered a part of normal life.

In China most people have no clue. They think that Dragon Boating is a traditional activity for every Chinese holiday. Many have no idea about the meaning or rights behind any what we might consider "traditional" Chinese holidays like Ching Ming, (now that it has been resurrected). Many of the "traditional" activities for weddings, births, deaths don't exist. They don't know how to pray at a temple, (though now a days they are trying again). They think it is really weird to have a company bai bai like one might in Taiwan. They generally won't understand any Classical Chinese or Classical references. I've been told that Classical Chinese uses, "incorrect" characters.

General politeness and manners is much more common in Taiwan. Serving other people to a high level of quality is not considered as demeaning.

Chalk & cheese if you asked me"¦
Here it is more telling regarding the influence of the West in Taiwan

One stark difference is that Taiwanese nationalism, if you want to call it that, began in opposition to the oppression of the government here, whereas in China it is blooming in opposition to the west. Taiwanese don't have a massive chip on their shoulders about the Opium Wars which makes them a whole lot easier to be friends with.
China is a big country and its culture varies a lot from place to place, even among the Han. Taiwanese people's ancestors migrated mostly from southern Fujian and, to a lesser extent, from Hakka-speaking areas of Guangdong. So the Taiwanese variant of Chinese culture is basically Fujianese. Besides, Japan occupied the island for 50 years and tried very hard to assimilate its people, so naturally Japanese culture has left its mark, despite the Kuomintang's efforts to get rid of it. There were also the lowland aborigines, who have been entirely assimilated with the Hans. Since they were quite a significant part of the population, one would expect that they have influenced the culture to some extent. As you know, there are still unassimilated Aborigine tribes who, to varying extents, maintain their own culture, quite different from that of the Han people.
FORUMOSA • Taiwan vs. Mainland China Culture

nimo_cn

Country flag
Proving Mainland and Taiwan aren't culturally close doesn't mean India and Taiwan are culturally bonded.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Ray, are you contending that there are more language barriers between Mainalnd and Taiwan than India and Taiwan?

Again you are purposely deflecting so that the embarrassing truth is not exposed that there are difference between Taiwanese and Mainland China.

Indian language and Chinese are chalk and cheese.

However, culturally, in the context I explained from the dictionary meaning, because the Taiwanese are not uncomfortable with the English language, unlike the Mainland Communists, there is no problem for Indians and Indians do not feel totally out of place, just as they do not feel uncomfortable in Singapore.
And Taiwan and Singapore are foreign countries!

Because of the knowledge of English, democratic institution, law that is not arbitrary, unlike Mainland Communist China, one finds its similar in outlook to India and hence the comfort levels are high.

In China, we are aware how your police works and now with the lawlessness in the country, how the Mafia in concert with the Chinese Police harass foreigners.

As to how culturally you are accepted in Taiwan, the observations of the Taiwanese, as given in Post #21, speaks for itself and is crystal clear inspite of your host of social networking episodes that you ferret out of your imagination to support your contention.

I have given it from an open thread as to what the Taiwanese think and I have not influenced any, since I do not know them.

So, that proves how you fudge!

But then you are a Mainlander of the CCP!

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Ray, you are keeping dodging my questions.
I don't dodge.

You dodge, obfuscate and derail.

Note how you have taken the thread going around like Ferris wheel and a mud slide rolled in one!

niceguy2011

Tihar Jail
Banned
Ray, nimo just asked the language.
I think u can simply said yes or no.

Again you are purposely deflecting so that the embarrassing truth is not exposed that there are difference between Taiwanese and Mainland China.

However, culturally, in the context I explained from the dictionary meaning, because the Taiwanese are not uncomfortable with the English language, unlike the Mainland Communists, there is no problem for Indians and Indians do not feel totally out of place, just as they do not feel uncomfortable in Singapore.

Because of the knowledge of English, democratic institution, law that is not arbitrary, unlike Mainland Communist China, one finds its similar in outlook to India and hence the comfort levels are high.

In China, we are aware how your police works and now with the lawlessness in the country, how the Mafia in concert with the Chinese Police harass foreigners.

niceguy2011

Tihar Jail
Banned
That is becoz u r run away from his question.

U can say yes or no, simple like that.

I don't dodge.

Note how you have taken the thread going around like Ferris wheel and a mud slide rolled in one!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Ur questions r too hard for him.
Ray, try to answer my question, was India a country befor British come?
Given that you cannot think beyond the sentence 'in ur dreams' for all and everything, one is not surprised that you have a very limited repertoire of knowledge and insight.

To even explain that there is a Sun which gives light for the Moon to reflect and not the Moon giving light would be too hard for your to assimilate.

niceguy2011

Tihar Jail
Banned
Don't be a coward , answer my question.
Yes or no?

Given that you cannot think beyond the sentence 'in ur dreams' for all and everything, one is not surprised that you have a very

limited repertoire of knowledge and insight.

To even explain that there is a Sun which gives light for the Moon to reflect and not the Moon giving light would be too hard for your to assimilate.

nimo_cn

Country flag

I didn't deny the differences between Taiwanese and Mainland China.

You are denying differences between Taiwanese and Indians, you can't even answer my question as to if you can understand this video.

[1204][台湾综艺][康熙来了071204][罗志祥的大审判] - 视频 - 优酷视频 - 在线观看

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
That is becoz u r run away from his question.

U can say yes or no, simple like that.
I agree that you cannot understand beyond the word 'yes' or 'no'.

Do spare me the ordeal of even communicating with you because it would be, as the English idiom goes, casting pearls before swine!

niceguy2011

Tihar Jail
Banned

Do spare me the ordeal of even communicating with you because it would be, as the English idiom goes, casting pearls before swine!
Ok, it is a answer from coward.

nimo_cn

Country flag
I don't dodge.

You started this thread and deleted my posts to save your a$$ being kicked in another thread.

nimo_cn

Country flag

You can't even give a simple answer such as yes or no. lol

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I didn't deny the differences between Taiwanese and Mainland China.

You are denying differences between Taiwanese and Indians, you can't even answer my question as to if you can understand this video.

[1204][台湾综艺][康熙来了071204][罗志祥的大审判] - 视频 - 优酷视频 - 在线观看

Are you preparing from the London Olympics.

I find your backflips will get you more than the highest 10!

I thought you were trying to tell us there was no difference between Mainland Communists and the Taiwanese. Please go over your posts.

I have not mentioned that there was no difference between Indians and Chinese. I am not that unlettered or daft.

I merely stated that the Indians are culturally comfortable with Taiwanese than with Mainland Communists.

And you made me give post after post enunciating the differences between the Taiwanese and the Mainland Communist, the language differences etc etc and you continued with your obfuscation, deflecting and deceit to include your so called FB (?) friends from Taiwan and how they are enamoured with you. Even that I proved was bogus by appending what real Taiwanese had to say in an open forum!

Enough from me.

It is getting a trifle tiresome to penetrate the firewall of the Communist Chinese minds!

Do desist from inane one liners when you have nothing to state that is of education or of intellectual interest.

nimo_cn

Country flag
Are you preparing from the London Olympics.

I find your backflips will get you more than the highest 10!

I thought you were trying to tell us there was no difference between Mainland Communists and the Taiwanese. Please go over your posts.

I have not mentioned that there was no difference between Indians and Chinese. I am not that unlettered or daft.

I merely stated that the Indians are culturally comfortable with Taiwanese than with Mainland Communists.

And you made me give post after post enunciating the differences between the Taiwanese and the Mainland Communist, the language differences etc etc and you continued with your obfuscation, deflecting and deceit to include your so called FB (?) friends from Taiwan and how they are enamoured with you. Even that I proved was bogus by appending what real Taiwanese had to say in an open forum!

It is getting a trifle tiresome to penetrate the firewall of the Communist Chinese minds!

Which of my posts lead you to that?

Global Defence

New threads

Articles