Chinese Dissident Wins Nobel Peace Prize

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I was watching CNN interviewing the Norwegian Foreign Minister over the choice of Liu Xiabo.

There was a post in one of the thread about it being Oslo, in reply to my comment that the Nobel Committee being in Sweden.

The answer was given by the Foreign Minister.

The Peace Prize is given in Norway.

The Norwegian Nobel Institute was founded on February 1, 1904, for the purpose of assisting the Nobel Committee in its task of deciding who is to be awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. The Director of the Institute is the Nobel Committee's permanent secretary, and the Institute can be regarded as the Committee's secretariat.

rcscwc

Tihar Jail
Banned
India should be wary of awards to the "dissidents" of foreign countries. Tommorow, a nobel can be announced to anyone of our self styled dissidents. Sharmila is ripening for this.

amoy

:happy_2: Amusingly Liu has been made an icon of 'freedom fighter' successfully. I read that Chinese embassy in Oslo simply passed out translation highlighting Liu's remarks on Israel-Arab conflict to Muslim countries then they instantly decided whether to attend Nobel ceremony

Agantrope

India should be wary of awards to the "dissidents" of foreign countries. Tommorow, a nobel can be announced to anyone of our self styled dissidents. Sharmila is ripening for this.
If anything would have happened, the india would be moving more close to the China rather than US.

Flint

Some people find this choice surprising. But Nobel prize committees tend to choose candidates who are controversial for their time. People who stir the pot, hard (and naturally in the favour of the current European worldview).

I think the fact that he has suffered multiple sentences and been banned in China definitely tilted opinion in his favour, right from the beginning.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles