Chinese bullet train a bust

Status
Not open for further replies.

john70

Country flag
Chinese Railway's priority development plans have centred on high technology and a judicious mix of traffic routes for passenger trains running at 200 kmph and freight trains at 120 kmph.

Travel time has been reduced by increasing service speeds and reducing train stops. Between 1997 and 2007, Chinese Railway carried out six stages of 'speed raising': maximum train speed that was generally around 80-100 kmph in 1991 has gradually been raised to 160-200 kmph on popular passenger corridors.

The first 300-kmph electric multiple unit (EMU) train set was inaugurated in August 2008 between Beijing and Tianjin. CR is currently constructing 350 kmph passenger dedicated lines (PDLs). The combined length of PDLs by 2020 will be 16,000 route km; another 35 mixed traffic lines will be equipped to operate at 200-350 kmph.

Chinese Railway is busy developing its capacity and quality for freight and passenger traffic in line with the economy's astounding growth.

It already operates 2,700 m long, 20,000-tonne heavy- haul coal trains. Its containerised freight is forecast to reach 400 million tonnes by 2020 compared with just 64.5 million tonnes in 2006.

john70

Country flag
The Chinese railways trailed Indian Railways technologically until the 1980s. In fact, even in 1990, its 24,800-km core network with an annual density of 30 million gross tonnes or more had largely 50 kg/m and 43 kg/m rails; as many as 55 per cent of the wagons were with plain bearings.

Until 1980, steam locomotive continued to remain its mainstay, carrying 76 per cent of its traffic. Today, Indian Railway, lost in shibboleths of systematic self-destruction, lags way behind Chinese Railway, and has no tangible strategy for growth.

On the other hand, Chinese Railway, now the world's second largest freight railway system and the largest passenger system, has by far the highest traffic density (passenger-km and tonne-km per km of line) -- it is 10.5 times the world average. Its output per locomotive, per freight car, per passenger coach is among the highest.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
China is doing well and doing it fast and that is a fact that one has to acknowledge.

There will be glitches, but even so, they are doing a good job for their country.

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag
Chinese bullet trains a bust? Sure is. If enough info is allowed to pass through, we'll discover that all chinese technological 'achievements' are bust.

john70

Country flag
Chinese bullet trains a bust? Sure is. If enough info is allowed to pass through, we'll discover that all chinese technological 'achievements' are bust.
Agreed on some issues, but overall they are achieving really fantastic results, while we are quiet a "local Train".

huaxia rox

compared to GSLV or tejas kind of achievements??? sure is......no more info is needed.... .

Last edited:

john70

Country flag
compared to GSLV or tejas kind of achievements??? sure is......no more info is needed.... .
Anything in development phase can have hurdles but they are not "busts". Our GSLV mark III launch and Tejas mark 2 will answer your querry well rather than me.

huaxia rox

Anything in development phase can have hurdles but they are not "busts". Our GSLV mark III launch and Tejas mark 2 will answer your querry well rather than me.
well...then congrats....but what i m saying is whats already happened....

john70

Country flag
well...then congrats....but what i m saying is whats already happened....
Thanks for understanding, Chinese I respect their way of getting things done fast and well, but v Indians are one of the most brainy people in this world, but quiet slow in doing things.

blueblood

i were saying u got8 shots and failed 6 times...

we got 20 shots and failed only once...

u cant see the difference can u?

and u were saying?
Off course I can see the difference.

Our failed shots do not result in wiping off an entire village and our government does not shamelessly cover their death. But then again that is hardly surprising. We don't let a kid sit behind the curtain just because she does not have a beautiful face to match her beautiful voice. We are not that shameless mate. We embrace our failures like men of character do.

So, if you are a kettle, stop calling the pot black.

Nobody is disputing your achievements but your past actions are giving them enough reasons to be skeptical.

huaxia rox

wipe out the entire village?tell me the name of the village and how many were killed....and source???
your GSLV is the 2nd unsucessful rocket in human history only a bit better than the south korean 1 which failed twice with no 1 shot successful and when your russia made cryogenic engines run out i will like to see how u gonna improve it so u wont break the record our south korean friends have made....

blueblood

wipe out the entire village?tell me the name of the village and how many were killed....and source???
your GSLV is the 2nd unsucessful rocket in human history only a bit better than the south korean 1 which failed twice with no 1 shot successful and when your russia made cryogenic engines run out i will like to see how u gonna improve it so u wont break the record our south korean friends have made....
Failure, so far yes. Did it end up taking lives, no. Was GOI shameless enough to sweep it under the rug, hell no.

One simple question, if allegedly more than 100 people died and CCP declared that only 6 died, what happened to the families of the rest of them?

Reactions: Ray

huaxia rox

dont dodge my question....u said 'result in wiping off an entire village ' which village??answer me the simple question. u think its an a bomb or what?

the falure of your chemical factory in bhopal alone can kill thousands...and all your failures r so far yes and will be solved in the future rite?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
the falure of your chemical factory in bhopal alone can kill thousands...and all your failures r so far yes and will be solved in the future rite?
US company!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Now, now, chaps, aren't you chaps going OT?

I can't imagine a bullet train wiping out a village.

So, can we be good chaps and stick to the topic.

Or do you want me to go on a deleting spree and then sending some chaps off to the re-education camps? ;)

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Time out to cool your nerves.

Collect your wits and then come back!

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
more here

China audit details fraud, waste at Beijing-Shanghai railway | Reuters

(Reuters) - China's National Audit Office said on Monday it had uncovered more evidence of fraud, waste, mismanagement and irregular accounting and procurement, totaling billions of yuan, at the flagship high-speed Beijing-Shanghai railway.

The 217 billion yuan ($34 billion) railway, hailed as a miracle project by officials when it opened in June 2011, has been beset by a litany of management failures and unusual practices resulting in tens of billions of yuan of waste.

The second audit report into the rail link, published on the government website (中华人民共和国中央人民政府门户网站), said irregularities started from the bidding process of the project as early as December 2007, five months before construction officially broke ground.

The report by the Chinese cabinet's watchdog found the Ministry of Railways shortened some periods of preliminary review for bidders to 13 hours from the standard five days.

While the ministry's corporate arm bought at least 849 million yuan worth of materials from non-bidding suppliers at higher prices than those quoted by winning bidders.

"The Ministry of Railways has noted that they will strictly follow rules in future bidding for construction and material purchase," the audit report said.

China's Beijing-Shanghai high-speed railway line started operation in June 2011 after 42 months of frenzied development, marking the zenith of China's railway construction boom.

The new report said 413 million yuan spent on train windshields was wasted when design specifications were changed in March 2011, three months before the line opened.

The report said it had also found evidence of wrongdoing by local governments.

It said Jiangning economic development zone in Nanjing applied for land compensation worth 140 million yuan from the railway using false documents, receiving 40 million yuan of payments by end of June 2011.

It found that Beichen district government in Tianjin had 340 million yuan in its own accounts instead of being paid promptly in compensation for land procured for the railway.

"After the audit office found the problems, local authorities are highly concerned and are rolling out relevant investigations," the audit report said.

The 1,318 km (800 miles) Beijing-Shanghai high speed railway has also struggled to pay suppliers and contractors.

By the end of May 2011, the railway had 8.251 billion yuan worth of debts owning to 656 suppliers and 1,471 contractors, the National Audit Office said.

Liu Zhijun, the former railway minister, was removed from his post as Communist Party chief at the ministry in early 2011 for "serious disciplinary violations".

In March 2011, the National Audit Office said that almost $30 million of funds was misappropriated through 2010 by individuals and work units at construction companies during the building of the line.

($1 = 6.3227 Chinese yuan)

(Reporting by Zhou Xin and Nick Edwards; Editing by Michael Perry)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles