Chinese bullet train a bust

Status
Not open for further replies.

venkat

its collision of two trains...that is something to do with the safety interlocking system and monitoring of the trains traveling over the same tracks. Its not the train itself has come off the rails or the Engine flying away from the tracks..so the problem may not be the high speed CRH trains or tracks. so chinese may correct these lapses wiht out much difficulty with the help of Bombardier,GE -Alsthom etc....

JayATL

chinese are a model for the world in case of railway projects... these odd and end issues they have now are easily correctable.. long term- India should strive to build a system like theirs ( ambition)

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
its collision of two trains...that is something to do with the safety interlocking system and monitoring of the trains traveling over the same tracks. Its not the train itself has come off the rails or the Engine flying away from the tracks..so the problem may not be the high speed CRH trains or tracks. so chinese may correct these lapses wiht out much difficulty with the help of Bombardier,GE -Alsthom etc....
In other words, just what I was saying, poor planning and a quick fix to be with the Joneses!

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
It is more complicated than just a train collision. Speeds have been reduced losing out on the highest speeds in the world which CCP claimed so proudly. Shoddy construction has shut down entire lines as sections of track crumble and crack. Dozens after dozens of trains have been recalled for poor safety features. 80% of all construction has been suspended to inspect to ensure safety levels. The former rail minister was sacked for mass corruption and cutting corners. The Railway Ministry is drowning in a pool of debt that threatens to collapse the whole system. HSR has proven to be one of the worst investments the CCP has ever made. If you don't plan on doing it right, don't do it at all.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
It is more complicated than just a train collision. Speeds have been reduced losing out on the highest speeds in the world which CCP claimed so proudly. Shoddy construction has shut down entire lines as sections of track crumble and crack. Dozens after dozens of trains have been recalled for poor safety features. 80% of all construction has been suspended to inspect to ensure safety levels. The former rail minister was sacked for mass corruption and cutting corners. The Railway Ministry is drowning in a pool of debt that threatens to collapse the whole system. HSR has proven to be one of the worst investments the CCP has ever made. If you don't plan on doing it right, don't do it at all.
If the Chinese had done proper planning and construction instead of keeping up with the Joneses in a hurry, it would have been a terrific achievement for China.

The same is highway collapses because of shoddy construction inspite of spectacular design and rate of construction!

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
If the Chinese had done proper planning and construction instead of keeping up with the Joneses in a hurry, it would have been a terrific achievement for China.

The same is highway collapses because of shoddy construction inspite of spectacular design and rate of construction!
Even if China had met all the safety protocols, which would have significantly increased cost, the system would be even more insolvent. The Railway Minstry is drowning in $320 billion in debt. If they hadn't cut corners it would be well higher. You can't have massive rail, highway and airlines with only a trickle of traffic and expect to make money. There is no fiscal planning and risk analysis in Chinese projects which leads to over-investment in red hole projects. When the credit lines dry up they go belly up.

venkat

That's a serious matter. I thought we in India are unearthing one mother after another mother of all scams. There seems to be lots of skeletons in the chow chow chop stick cupboards. :shocked:

amoy

Ya, HSR speed has been down killing extra 20mins for me on my route. I hope someday it'd resume and run even faster so that my life is virtually prolonged with less time waste on the way. Meantime the fare is reduced to 81 Yuan from 85 Yuan for Class-2. Besides construction for some lines slow down like from Xiamen to Shenzhen, of which completion is to be delayed by around 1yr.

Not to be defensive, but Hey, 38 dead in the Wenzhou accident. Tell me the number of casulties/death in your last traffic accident? in France or in India? Lets be straight forward.

Phenom

This is what happens when politics gets mixed up with economics. HSR is not going to be a viable model for mass transport atleast for a few decades, it made little sense for the CCP to get into this building frenzy without doing proper cost benefit analysis. I think the Chinese started following the US model of 'if you build, they will come'.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Not to be defensive, but Hey, 38 dead in the Wenzhou accident. Tell me the number of casulties/death in your last traffic accident? in France or in India? Lets be straight forward.

A slight difference.

We don't showcase our railway as the last word on railways in the world.

We know that it is not and gracefully accept that! :namaste:

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
The #s aren't important, the public outcry is. In an attempt to cover up the accident by burying the trains where they fell, the Sino blogosphere erupted in outrage by the millions. People know CCP is covering up safety issues and people are staying away in droves. HSR was already in trouble, now it is a bust.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Having spent a huge sum, I wonder if the HSR will be a bust.

The Chinese, innovative that they are, will surely find some viable via media.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
The people don't trust Chicom media, that is why they rush to the blogs to find out what is really happening. It is a simple matter of supply and demand. There is far too much supply in highways, rail, and air modes of transportation to ever get the demand to make them break even, much less make a profit. The upkeep costs of HSR are twice that of legacy rail and ticket prices are dropping when they need to be rising to even cover that. The debt is so high it will have to get a massive government bailout, throw 10% more GDP debt onto the People's Republic of Madoff books.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
If what you say is right, then let us kiss China goodbye! :wave:

amoy

I'm riding on the bust every week or every 2 weeks, always full , and cozy. only the journey kills more time now that's annoying

:rofl: Showcasing? C'est la vie. If one wishes to know the real life of Chinese the 'showcasing' is part of it

Talking all day long about negatives but no positives, is another way of 'showcasing'. :lol: By the way railway in China is not necessarily profitable - I'm sure u know it - subsidized, like Metro or bus in cities. The "profit" is facilitated by efficiency and productivity gained from better infra and logistics

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
It is one thing to be subsidised, it is another to bankrupt your Railway Ministry because of it. I do enjoy taking the Rapid Bus Transit, you can always find a seat off peak hours. No other bus system in Asia is like Guangzhou so you really can't compare. I love the Yang Cheng Tong card. The taxis are too high.

nimo_cn

Country flag
A slight difference.

We don't showcase our railway as the last word on railways in the world.

We know that it is not and gracefully accept that! :namaste:
Because you don't have a thing to showcase. We all know how much Indans like to showcase whenever they have the opportunity.

Showcasing or no showcasing, Chinese are having faster and safer trains than Indians. Yes, I said safer, even after all the recent train accidents in China.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Because you don't have a thing to showcase. We all know how much Indans like to showcase whenever they have the opportunity.

Showcasing or no showcasing, Chinese are having faster and safer trains than Indians. Yes, I said safer, even after all the recent train accidents in China.
Agreed, we don't have anything to showcase like busted bullet trains or empty ghost towns. We live within our means.

nimo_cn

Country flag
Agreed, we don't have anything to showcase like busted bullet trains or empty ghost towns. We live within our means.
No response to the "Chinese are having faster and safer trains than Indians" part?

nimo_cn

Country flag
Isn't that ironical that Chinese busted trains are still safer and faster than Indian trains?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles