China's vulnerability in Malacca Strait

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Hi Yusuf,

Go the other ways; and there are plenty of routes that the Indian Navy could not possibly have the resources or political will to "choke". To "choke" the Chinese,

Needless to say, the entire theory of "choking" the Chinese by closing the Strait of Malacca is little more than a popularist invention by some government official or newpaper men in India, for domestic consumption.

The "string of pear" is probably little more than the Chinese attempt to create an economic trade route that will enable them to free themselves

If we are talking about an arms race between the Chinese and Indian, it appears there is only one nation is this "arms race" after all.

"Choking" the Chinese? What for? You should think about teaching yourself how to really "ROAR" instead.

Show me a route capable of handling a CBG and have enough option for maneuverability..

And Who is talking abt only Oil, It the Raw material, Leave Malacca straits, Entire IOR is IN & USN influenced..

Those String of Pearls going to be blocked..

Why defensive now ?

And you think that USN going to be friendly with PLAN ? Singapore is also a Strong allay of India it conduct WAR games with India annually to strengthen it strategics alliance with India and we lease them Ground to do so,

Forget
Singapore
Philippians
Vietnam
SK and
Tiawan
Japan

And its the US influence works in SCS..

If your CBG or any War vessels rage in SCS its a hostile act to all those in SCS, Our influence is till IOR and Andaman Sea we are not handicapped like you..

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Jovian,

Pretty idealistic I would say but it does not work that way.

Take the US for example who has been using its military might to further its own diplomatic and strategic aims.

Britain when it was a super power and the dominant naval power, used all the choke points to its advantage.

The geography of India is on its side. India has acquired long range recon aircrafts to be put in museums. They have been acquired for a reason.

China has not done any favors to anyone except a few dictatorial regimes. All it's neighbors are against it. While I don't expect them to assist in any war that India fights the Chinis, I can more than expect to be "neutral" and "understanding".

The world history has been full of strong militaries dominating regional and global affairs. India is certainly not a global military power, but it sure will do all it can to be a very strong regional power in the short term to be able to influence the region. India will certainly not take any Chinese aggression kindly, either diplomatic or military.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Put yourself in their (PLAN) shoes, and think about what can they do in the event the Indian Navy decided to "choke" the Strait of Malacca. The answer couldn't be more simple. Go the other ways; and there are plenty of routes that the Indian Navy could not possibly have the resources or political will to "choke". To "choke" the Chinese, you also have to ask what are you trying to "choke" in the first place. Oil? raw materials like iron (example)? Their access to their export market?
It is not India's issue in the event of a war.

It is an issue for all littoral states.

China aggressive posture in the South China Seas has got everyone's back up and China is isolated and deemed as a hegemonic threat.

That is why there is the loose defence cooperation!

Adux

Country flag
That was just pure bullshit post, to say India was building up arms more than Chinese is just pure horse -----ey, Especially since we spend less than 1.9% of GDP on defense, even when surrounded by Pukes and Chicoms.

100 ruppee's that he is a chinese australian.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
That was just pure bullshit post, to say India was building up arms more than Chinese is just pure horse -----ey, Especially since we spend less than 1.9% of GDP on defense, even when surrounded by Pukes and Chicoms.

100 ruppee's that he is a chinese australian.
Long time mate. Missed the passion :D

Jovian

Show me a route capable of handling a CBG and have enough option for maneuverability..

And Who is talking abt only Oil, It the Raw material, Leave Malacca straits, Entire IOR is IN & USN influenced..

Those String of Pearls going to be blocked..

Why defensive now ?

And you think that USN going to be friendly with PLAN ? Singapore is also a Strong allay of India it conduct WAR games with India annually to strengthen it strategics alliance with India and we lease them Ground to do so,

Forget
Singapore
Philippians
Vietnam
SK and
Tiawan
Japan

And its the US influence works in SCS..

If your CBG or any War vessels rage in SCS its a hostile act to all those in SCS, Our influence is till IOR and Andaman Sea we are not handicapped like you..
Hello Kunal,

Well, what can I say? If you are only able to see part of my message, and especially the part that you wanted to see, then I guess you'll be much happier that way. Tell you what, one day when you grow older and a little bit more mellow, you'll see what I wrote makes more sense. Anyway, I hope you have a happy life, and read on if (below). I guarantee it'll be if nothing else, interesting.

Cheers,
Jovian

Tolaha

If we are talking about an arms race between the Chinese and Indian, it appears there is only one nation is this "arms race" after all.The other one is busy building their nation. My advice is this. Don't waste your time and resources on a useless arms race. A nation's first and last line of defence should always be diplomacy; if you have to fight a way, you have already lost. The military should only be build to a level that is enough for diplomacy to work. How much is enough? Well, take the People's Republic of China (in the 1980s) as an example. Their military was, well, OOOOoooooold! However no one dare to attack them; they even got their butt kicked by Vietnam (please don't go there). However, they spend just enough and the rest on their economy to build up to where they are today.
Ooooh... a Peacenik with misplaced priorities! :)

The Chinese are spending less than only US on their armed forces. As per most defense analysts, they spend far more even as a percentage of their budget than India. Also, they spend far more on "internal defence" than external!! And to add to that, they are arming our other psycho neighbor with deadly weapons. You want us to forget all the history and all the evidences of whats being done by our neighbors! That's so cute.... really! You have come here to educate us how China is "better" than India when it comes to defense spending. Instead, you read it about yourself from places that are not run by CCP or by Pakistani fanboys.

You are an Australian. Australia as a country probably doesn't need even an army, it just doesn't have any enemies. Its nearest neighbor does not have the capability to transport even a 100 soldiers to land on Australian soil. Whatever reason Australia has to have their armed forces, India has many more and all those reasons are real.

If they are now starting to waste their hard earn money on military hardware, do you really want to follow that without even taking the time to build you road, street, bridges, rail, and all the things that will give your childrens a better chance in the future? India is in an enviable location; in the middle of the trade route between the East and West. She has much natural resources, and no shortage of human resources (if probably managed). Unfortunately at the moment, her people appears to be pre occupied with the wrong thing; an arm race for that has absolutely no benefit.
The last time we trusted our neighbors, we were back-stabbed. Also, ready my above comments again.

Yusuf (or anyone from India), if you are proud of your nation being a democracy, then act on it. Don't let your lazy politicians tell you that it is easier to build a bigger military then to play a "great game" on the international stage. PUT THEM TO WORK INSTEAD! Get them to cover your back while you are busy building the roads and streets and bridges and schools.

"Choking" the Chinese? What for? You should think about teaching yourself how to really "ROAR" instead.
Its really not polite to ask questions on one's 'cultural heritage', so I will desist from my urge on asking you about it.

Jovian

To Yusuf and Adux (and perhaps even Ray),

I must say that I am in aware at the reply from both of you. I have to admit one thing. I've not met anyone as brave as yourself before; given that I lived most of my life in relatively peaceful countries; Malaysia, Brunei, Singapore and now Australia. When I first arrived in Australia, I was quite fascinated by the historical account of my adopted country's involvement in the first, second World Wars, Korean, Vietnam. Account of Midway was an interesting read for me back then; that is perhaps why I have (I admit) a interest in aircraft carriers, and also a reason why I found this forum (looking for photo of the INS Vikramaditya).

However, having grow older (and perhaps) thinking a tiny bit clearer, I see these accounts (don't like to call them stories) are lessons to be learned, remembered and understand; honor the memories, not the propaganda. Saw the rise of China, and heard plenty of the expectation of the rise of India; that is why I am started following some of the threads here. However, beyond a liking to see carriers being build, I tend to hope that they'll live out their lives not being "put to use" (if you know what I mean).

Having said that, I must say that you guys are definitely the bravest individuals I've come across since you shown no fear taking about "fighting wars". About "facing down a hegemonic threat". You MUST have been prepared to put yourselves on the front in preparation for the "upcoming war" that will face down a "Chincom threat". In comparison, I'll would not have the courage of killing someone, nor have the courage to face certain death for a cause that someone tells me is just. You definitely sound brave.

Or you are just talking like a couple of "idiots". Which are you?

Adux, I ever bothered "knocking sense into any idiot"; especially those who are highly fueled by a strong sense of nationalistic fervor. However I can consider chatting with you once in a while, prerequisite being having an open mind. Otherwise, you know should know I make a point never to keep a pet troll.

Yusuf, you can count all the percentages in the world and compare them. Perhaps one day you'll find some hidden message in them. A word of advise. After all have been counted, you should know that the percentage reserved for people like you and I (and everyone else here in this forum) is likely to be 0%. And if we are foolish enough to "participate" in a "struggle for the country", probably in the negative.

Well, that's as much as I've to say about that. If you still believe in the upcoming war, my advise is to get as far away as possible. On the other hand if you feel the urge to go the "other direction". Good luck, and make sure

Regards,
Jovian

Adux

Country flag
Jovian,

Thanks for clearing up the fact, that you are not a 'white' australian. It was clearly expected from me. Your silly post doesnt really concern me, since I am good at peeling the skin out and knowing the real intention. But just to make your useless post more interesting, Ray was a Former Brigadier of the Indian Army, He has fought 3 major wars, 1962, 1965, 1971 and countless other missions all over the world.

Just letting you know.

Tolaha

Jovian,

You have written a lengthy post. All on the assumption that posters here have not seen "real" war. You are an idiot or you are someone who has made an idiotic assumption. So which one is it?

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
I think Jovian is a senior person by age and I would expect our members to respect that in true spirit of Indian culture and desist from any name calling.

arkem8

Country flag
Hi Yusuf,

BLAH BLAH BLAH!!

Let's say oil for simplicity sake. The Indian Navy cannot possibly "choke" oil to China by blocking the Strait of Malacca.Tittle bit of a war with the Chinese, sorry about that, really!") Needless to say, the entire theory of "choking" the Chinese by closing the Strait of Malacca is little more than a popularist invention by some government official or newpaper men in India, for domestic consumption.

The "string of pear:taunt:" is probably little more than the Chinese attempt to create an economic trade route that will enable them to free themselves from over dependent on foreign operated trade route.:pound: Will it work? Only time will tell. Does it have any military use? Who knows? :namaste:May be? Probably? May be not? Are there any publicly avaliable information on these "strings of pear" ports? If so why wasn't it reported in the media? If not, how is that possible (for the PLAN to withheld information in multiple foreign countries)? Lazy reporting? Selective reporting? Who are reporting them in the first place?.
BUSTED!! (See bold parts highlighted):cool2:

Person of Chinese descent most likely from Malaysia(or elsewhere in SE Asia) who would rather support the Chinese than his "own" nation.

CARRY ON:cool2:

Adux

Country flag
I think Jovian is a senior person by age and I would expect our members to respect that in true spirit of Indian culture and desist from any name calling.
I dont believe in that culture. Please dont impose aspects of 'said' Indian culture on me, as I dont agree with them.

Adux

Country flag
BUSTED!! (See bold parts highlighted):cool2:

Person of Chinese descent most likely from Malaysia(or elsewhere in SE Asia) who would rather support the Chinese than his "own" nation.

CARRY ON:cool2:
I claim first and therefore gold on this.

arkem8

Country flag
Use of words and phrases consistent with Asian language user. Please look more closely, how he slyly bats for his kind and puts up strawman arguments for India's military expansion.

Tolaha

Yusuf,

If you were referring to my post, then I was only responding to this post of Jovian:

You definitely sound brave.

Or you are just talking like a couple of "idiots". Which are you?
by saying this:

You are an idiot or you are someone who has made an idiotic assumption. So which one is it?
You have to admit that I no where called him an 'idiot'. On the contrary, being an Indian and with all that associated assortment of cultures that I have, I was gracious enough to just ask him a question and then offer him a few choices to just dwell upon. You gotta admit it... If this is not culture, then what is! :namaste:

Last edited:

s002wjh

Country flag
those things can be fool easily during war time. its only useful during peceaful time when ship transmit the location for trafficing purpose. its doesnt tell destination, and othe infos. also even those info can be fool/forged. the only way to stop a chinese ship passing through is board it and check it. which is impossible due to the amount of traffic. the sure way is seal the entire strait, which US will guranntee intervane. so basically there is no sure way to stop/know which oil tanker goto china vs a tanker goto japan

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles