China's Team, America's Cup

satish007

so, India should come and join?, we are bhai bhai.
W.G.Ewald, do you like sailing?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
China is a great one to infuse history into their activities.

Are they sailing a Chinese Junk or a copy of some winning yacht (just to keep up with the Joneses)?

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
so, India should come and join?, we are bhai bhai.
W.G.Ewald, do you like sailing?
Yeah, I thought India should have a team.

My boat is only 27 feet. Photo is of one of the same class (Dockrell 27)

W.G.Ewald

Professional
China is a great one to infuse history into their activities.

Are they sailing a Chinese Junk or a copy of some winning yacht (just to keep up with the Joneses)?
The boats are catamarans and the sails are in fact similar in concept the those on junks.

America's Cup | The Boats

W.G.Ewald

Professional
Junk (ship) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As fascinating as this?

I love the Junk from China.

I don't know why the image button are not working and neither is the attachment manager in the Advanced Post.
Junks may be picturesque, but would anybody pay to see them race?:)

(I have not had any problem recently with seeing or posting images. I am using Firefox.)

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Thanks tried again.

It worked!

Nothing like having a Chinese Junk, junking the other fancier sailboats! ;)

balai_c

If you guys fancy antique asian boats this might whet your appetite:

Dhow (boats)

Dhow (Arabic,داو) is the generic name of a number of traditional sailing vessels with one or more masts with lateen sails used in the Red Sea and Indian Ocean region. Some historians believe the dhow was invented by Arabs but this is disputed by some others.[1][2] Dhows typically weigh 300 to 500 tons, and have a long, thin hull design. They are trading vessels primarily used to carry heavy items, like fruit, fresh water or merchandises, along the coasts of the Arabian Peninsula, Pakistan, India, Bangladesh and East Africa. Larger dhows have crews of approximately thirty people, while smaller dhows typically have crews of around twelve.

Even to the present day, dhows make commercial journeys between the Persian Gulf and East Africa using sails as their only means of propulsion. Their cargo is mostly dates and fish to East Africa and mangrove timber to the lands in the Persian Gulf. They often sail south with the monsoon in winter or early spring, and back again to Arabia in late spring or early summer.

Some scholars claim that the sambuk, a type of Dhow, may be derived from the Portuguese caravel.,[3]

Traditionally Yemeni Hadhrami people, as well as Omanis, came to Beypore, Kerala, India along the centuries in order to build Dhows. The reasons were the availability of good timber in the forests of Kerala, the availability of good coir rope and also the presence of skilled carpenters specialized in ship building. Formerly the sheathing planks of a dhow's hull were held together by coconut rope instead of nails. Beypore Dhows are known as 'Uru' in Malayalam, the local language of Kerala. Settlers from Yemen, later known as 'Baramis', are still active in Uru business in Kerala.

Captain Alan Villiers (1903–1982) documented the days of sailing trade in the Indian Ocean by sailing on dhows between 1938 and 1939 taking numerous photographs and publishing books on the subject of dhow navigation.

W.G.Ewald

Professional

The most popular recreational sailboat must be the Sunfish. It is a little dhow, isn't it?

Global Defence

New threads

Articles